- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 257842, 8 pages
Racial/Ethnic Variability in Hypertension Prevalence and Risk Factors in National Health Interview Survey
1American Health Research Institute, Houston, TX 77008, USA
2University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA
3Nemours/A.I.duPont Hospital for Children, Office of Health Equity & Inclusion, Newark, DE 19716, USA
4Nemours Biomedical Research, Wilmington, DE 19803, USA
5Christiana Care Health System, Newark, DE, USA
Received 4 July 2012; Accepted 24 July 2012
Academic Editors: K. Kotani and R. S. Padwal
Copyright © 2013 L. Holmes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Wrobel, J. J. Figge, and J. L. Izzo Jr., “Hypertension in diverse populations: a New York State Medicaid clinical guidance document,” Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 208–229, 2011.
- L. N. Borrell, B. S. Menendez, and S. P. Joseph, “Racial/ethnic disparities on self-reported hypertension in New York City: examining disparities among Hispanic subgroups,” Ethnicity & Disease, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 429–436, 2011.
- K. N. Kershaw, A. V. Diez Roux, S. A. Burgard, L. D. Lisabeth, M. S. Mujahid, and A. J. Schulz, “Metropolitan-level racial residential segregation and black-white disparities in hypertension,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 537–545, 2011.
- R. Cooper and C. Rotimi, “Hypertension in blacks,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 10, no. 7 I, pp. 804–812, 1997.
- N. R. Kressin, M. B. Orner, M. Manze, M. E. Glickman, and D. Berlowitz, “Understanding contributors to racial disparities in blood pressure control,” Circulation, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- J. M. Mellor and J. Milyo, “Exploring the relationships between income inequality, socioeconomic status and health: a self-guided tour?” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 685–687, 2002.
- K. L. Ong, B. M. Y. Cheung, Y. B. Man, C. P. Lau, and K. S. L. Lam, “Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension among United States adults 1999–2004,” Hypertension, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2007.
- J. Currie and M. Stabile, “Socioeconomic status and child health: why is the relationship stronger for older children?” American Economic Review, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1813–1823, 2003.
- W. H. Frist, “Overcoming disparities in U.S. health care,” Health Affairs, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 445–451, 2005.
- D. R. Williams and T. D. Rucker, “Understanding and addressing racial disparities in health care,” Health Care Financing Review, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 75–90, 2000.
- S. L. Botman, T. F. Moore, and C. L. Moriarity, “Design and estimation for the National Health Interview Survey, 1995–2004,” Vital Health Statistics Series 2, no. 130, pp. 1–31, 2000, CDC, National Center for Health Statistics.
- J. A. Gazmararian, D. W. Baker, M. V. Williams et al., “Health literacy among Medicare enrollees in a managed care organization,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 6, pp. 545–551, 1999.
- D. L. Downie, D. Schmid, M. G. Plescia et al., “Racial disparities in blood pressure control and treatment differences in a Medicaid population, North Carolina, 2005–2006,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 8, no. 3, p. A55, 2011.
- M. V. Williams, D. W. Baker, R. M. Parker, and J. R. Nurss, “Relationship of functional health literacy to patients' knowledge of their chronic disease: a study of patients with hypertension and diabetes,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 166–172, 1998.
- B. H. Brummett, M. A. Babyak, I. C. Siegler et al., “Systolic blood pressure, socioeconomic status, and biobehavioral risk factors in a nationally representative US young adult sample,” Hypertension, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2011.
- N. E. Adler and J. M. Ostrove, “Socioeconomic status and health: what we know and what we don't,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 896, pp. 3–15, 1999.
- K. Fiscella, P. Franks, M. R. Gold, and C. M. Clancy, “Inequality in quality: addressing socioeconomic, racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 19, pp. 2579–2584, 2000.
- R. E. Hurley, H. H. Pham, and G. Claxton, “A widening rift in access and quality: growing evidence of economic disparities,” Health Affairs, Web Exclusives, no. 2005, pp. W5-566–W5-576, 2005.
- “Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care,” Institute of Medicine, 2002, http://www.nap.edu/openbook/030908265X/html/80.html.
- J. P. Smith and R. Kington, “Race, socioeconomic status and health in late life,” in Racial and Ethnic Differences in the Health of Older Americans, L. G. Martin and B. J. Soldo, Eds., pp. 106–162, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1997.
- L. I. Pearlin and J. S. Johnson, “Marital status, life-strains and depression,” American Sociological Review, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 704–715, 1977.
- M. L. Thompson, J. E. Myers, and D. Kriebel, “Prevalence odds ratio or prevalence ratio in the analysis of cross sectional data: what is to be done?” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 272–277, 1998.
- Y. C. Klimentidis, A. Dulin-Keita, K. Casazza, A. L. Willig, D. B. Allison, and J. R. Fernandez, “Genetic admixture, social-behavioural factors and body composition are associated with blood pressure differently by racial-ethnic group among children,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 98–107, 2011.
- M. S. Mujahid, A. V. Diez Roux, R. C. Cooper, S. Shea, and D. R. Williams, “Neighborhood stressors and race/ethnic differences in hypertension prevalence (the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis),” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 2011.
- C. Russo, Z. Jin, S. Homma et al., “Race/ethnic disparities in left ventricular diastolic function in a triethnic community cohort,” American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 152–158, 2010.
- G. S. Berenson, W. Chen, P. Dasmahapatra et al., “Stimulus response of blood pressure in black and white young individuals helps explain racial divergence in adult cardiovascular disease: the Bogalusa Heart Study,” Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 230–238, 2011.
- A. Selassie, C. S. Wagner, M. L. Laken, M. L. Ferguson, K. C. Ferdinand, and B. M. Egan, “Progression is accelerated from prehypertension to hypertension in blacks,” Hypertension, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 579–587, 2011.
- C. N. Bell, R. J. Thorpe Jr., and T. A. Laveist, “Race/ethnicity and hypertension: the role of social support,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 534–540, 2010.
- L. Franzini, J. C. Ribble, and A. M. Keddie, “Understanding the Hispanic paradox,” Ethnicity & Disease, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 496–518, 2001.
- N. Redmond, H. J. Baer, and L. S. Hicks, “Health behaviors and racial disparity in blood pressure control in the national health and nutrition examination survey,” Hypertension, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 383–389, 2011.
- E. Brondolo, E. E. Love, M. Pencille, A. Schoenthaler, and G. Ogedegbe, “Racism and hypertension: a review of the empirical evidence and implications for clinical practice,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 518–529, 2011.
- J. Warren-Findlow and R. B. Seymour, “Prevalence rates of hypertension self-care activities among African Americans,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 503–512, 2011.
- L. Holmes Jr., W. Chan, Z. Jiang, and X. L. Du, “Effectiveness of androgen deprivation therapy in prolonging survival of older men treated for locoregional prostate cancer,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 388–395, 2007.