- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 312917, 5 pages
Zinc Uptake by Lactic Acid Bacteria
Department of Life Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Campi 183, 41100 Modena, Italy
Received 16 January 2013; Accepted 19 February 2013
Academic Editors: S.-B. Hong and S. Sanyal
Copyright © 2013 Alan Leonardi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Andreini, L. Banci, I. Bertini, and A. Rosato, “Zinc through the three domains of life,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 3173–3178, 2006.
- A. S. Prasad, “Zinc: an overview,” Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 1995.
- A. Goel, V. Dani, and D. K. Dhawan, “Protective effects of zinc on lipid peroxidation, antioxidant enzymes and hepatic histoarchitecture in chlorpyrifos-induced toxicity,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 156, no. 2-3, pp. 131–140, 2005.
- W. Maret and H. H. Sandstead, “Zinc requirements and the risks and benefits of zinc supplementation,” Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 2006.
- M. Murakami and T. Hirano, “Intracellular zinc homeostasis and zinc signaling,” Cancer Science, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 1515–1522, 2008.
- M. Hambidge, “Human zinc deficiency,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1344S–1349S, 2000.
- R. M. Welch, “Biotechnology, biofortification, and global health,” Food and Nutrition Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 419–421, 2005.
- B. Teucher, M. Olivares, and H. Cori, “Enhancers of iron absorption: ascorbic acid and other organic acids,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 403–419, 2004.
- C. Coudray, M. Rambeau, C. Feillet-Coudray et al., “Study of magnesium bioavailability from ten organic and inorganic Mg salts in Mg-depleted rats using a stable isotope approach,” Magnesium Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 215–223, 2005.
- V. K. Mazo, I. V. Gmoshinski, and S. N. Zorin, “New food sources of essential trace elements produced by biotechnology facilities,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 1297–1305, 2007.
- J. C. Peters and D. C. Mahan, “Effects of dietary organic and inorganic trace mineral levels on sow reproductive performances and daily mineral intakes over six parities,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 2247–2260, 2008.
- M. Navarro-Alarcon and C. Cabrera-Vique, “Selenium in food and the human body: a review,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 400, no. 1–3, pp. 115–141, 2008.
- S. Qin, J. Gao, and K. Huang, “Effects of different selenium sources on tissue selenium concentrations, blood GSH-Px activities and plasma interleukin levels in finishing lambs,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 91–102, 2007.
- P. Slavik, J. Illek, M. Brix, J. Hlavicova, R. Rajmon, and F. Jilek, “Influence of organic versus inorganic dietary selenium supplementation on the concentration of selenium in colostrum, milk and blood of beef cows,” Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2008.
- M. De Vrese and J. Schrezenmeir, “Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 111, pp. 1–66, 2008.
- M. Rossi, A. Amaretti, and S. Raimondi, “Folate production by probiotic bacteria,” Nutrients, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 118–134, 2011.
- L. Roncaglia, A. Amaretti, S. Raimondi, A. Leonardi, and M. Rossi, “Role of bifidobacteria in the activation of the lignan secoisolariciresinol diglucoside,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 159–168, 2011.
- A. Amaretti, M. di Nunzio, A. Pompei, S. Raimondi, M. Rossi, and A. Bordoni, “Antioxidant properties of potentially probiotic bacteria: in vitro and in vivo activities,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 809–817, 2013.
- J. Mrvčić, T. Prebeg, L. Barišić, D. Stanzer, V. Bačun-Drùina, and V. Stehlik-Tomas, “Zinc binding by Lactic acid bacteria,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 381–388, 2009.
- B. Lonnerdal, “Dietary factors influencing zinc absorbtion,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1378S–1383S, 2000.
- P. Schlegel and W. Windisch, “Bioavailability of zinc glycinate in comparison with zinc sulphate in the presence of dietary phytate in an animal model with 65Zn labelled rats,” Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, vol. 90, no. 5-6, pp. 216–222, 2006.
- B. Sandstrom and A. Cederblad, “Zinc absorption from composite meals. II. Influence of the main protein source,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1778–1783, 1980.