- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 314248, 5 pages
Do High Frequency Ultrasound Images Support Clinical Skin Assessment?
1The Institute of Nursing and Health Research, School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, UK
2School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Life and Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, UK
3School of Sociology, Social Policy & Social Work, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast BT7 1LP, UK
4Institute for Research in Social Sciences, School of Communication, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, UK
5Tissue Viability, The Royal Hospital, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust, Belfast BT12 6BA, UK
6Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
7School of Engineering and Materials Science, Queen Mary University of London, London E1 4NS, UK
8Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
9School of Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 11 December 2012; Accepted 10 January 2013
Academic Editors: N. M. C. Alexandre and B. Mandleco
Copyright © 2013 Alison P. Porter-Armstrong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, “Pressure Ulcer Treatment Guidelines,” 1999, www.epuap.org/gltreatment.html.
- K. Spilsbury, A. Nelson, N. Cullum, C. Iglesias, J. Nixon, and S. Mason, “Pressure ulcers and their treatment and effects on quality of life: hospital inpatient perspectives,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 494–504, 2007.
- G. Bennett, C. Dealey, and J. Posnett, “The cost of pressure ulcers in the UK,” Age and Ageing, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 230–235, 2004.
- P. R. Quintavalle, C. H. Lyder, P. J. Mertz, C. Phillips-Jones, and M. Dyson, “Use of high-resolution, high-frequency diagnostic ultrasound to investigate the pathogenesis of pressure ulcer development,” Advances in Skin & Wound Care, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 498–505, 2006.
- L. Agam and A. Gefen, “Pressure ulcers and deep tissue injury: a bioengineering perspective,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 336–342, 2007.
- J. E. Grey, S. Enoch, and K. G. Harding, “ABC of wound healing: pressure Ulcers,” British Medical Journal, vol. 332, no. 7539, pp. 472–475, 2006.
- E. S. Andersen and T. Karlsmark, “Evaluation of four non-invasive methods for examination and characterization of pressure ulcers,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 270–276, 2008.
- K. Yabunaka, S. Iizaka, G. Nakagami et al., “Can ultrasonographic evaluation of subcutaneous fat predict pressure ulceration?” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 192–196, 2009.
- M. Dyson, S. Moodley, L. Verjee, W. Verling, J. Weinman, and P. Wilson, “Wound healing assessment using 20 MHz ultrasound and photography,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 116–121, 2003.
- N. Kanno, T. Nakamura, M. Yamanaka, K. Kouda, T. Nakamura, and F. Tajima, “Low-echoic lesions underneath the skin in subjects with spinal-cord injury,” Spinal Cord, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 225–229, 2009.
- M. Ueta, J. Sugama, C. Konya et al., “Use of ultrasound in assessment of necrotic tissue in pressure ulcers with adjacent undermining,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 503–510, 2011.
- J. Nixon, H. Thorpe, H. Barrow et al., “Reliability of pressure ulcer classification and diagnosis,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 613–623, 2005.
- N. Bergstrom, B. J. Braden, A. Laguzza, and V. Holman, “The braden scale for predicting pressure sore risk,” Nursing Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 205–210, 1987.
- M. E. Charlson, P. Pompei, K. A. Ales, and C. R. MacKenzie, “A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 373–383, 1987.
- Malnutrition Advisory Group, The ‘MUST’ Report Nutritional Screening of Adults: A multidisciplinary Responsibility, BAPEN, Redditch, UK, 2003.