- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 320563, 8 pages
A Numerical and Experimental Study of the Aerodynamics and Stability of a Horizontal Parachute
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, I. A. University of Takestan, Takestan, Iran
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Urmia University of Technology, Urmia, Iran
3Department of Mechanical Engineering, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Received 24 May 2013; Accepted 26 June 2013
Academic Editors: J. López-Puente and R. K. Sharma
Copyright © 2013 Mazyar Dawoodian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Al Musleh and A. Frendi, “On the effects of a flexible structure on boundary layer stability and transition,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 133, no. 7, Article ID 071103, 6 pages, 2011.
- R. Natarajan and A. Acrivos, “The instability of the steady flow past spheres and disks,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 254, pp. 323–344, 1993.
- H. Sakamoto and H. Haniu, “A study on vortex shedding from spheres in a uniform flow,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 386–392, 1990.
- V. Bakic and M. Peric, “Visualization of flow around sphere for Reynolds numbers between 22,000 and 400,000,” Thermophysics and Aeromechanics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2005.
- H. V. Fuchs, E. Mercker, and U. Michel, “Large-scale coherent structures in the wake of axisymmetric bodies,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 185–207, 1979.
- E. Berger, D. Scholz, and M. Schumm, “Coherent vortex structures in thewake of a sphere and a circular disk at rest and under forced vibrations,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 231–257, 1990.
- H. Higuchi, “Visual study on wakes behind solid and slotted axisymmetric bluff bodies,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 427–430, 1991.
- C. W. Peterson, J. H. Strickland, and H. Higuchi, “The fluid dynamics of parachute inflation,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 28, pp. 361–387, 1996.
- A. Filippone, “On the flutter and drag forces on flexible rectangular canopies in normal flow,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 130, no. 6, Article ID 061203, 8 pages, 2008.
- M. J. Izadi and M. Mohammadizadeh, “Numerical study of a hemi-spherical cup in steady, unsteady, laminar and turbulent flow conditions with a vent of air at the top,” Fluids Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 28, pp. 361–387, 2008.
- M. J. Izadi and M. Dawoodian, “CFD analysis of drag coefficient of a parachute in steady and turbulent conditions in various Reynolds numbers,” in Proceedings of the Fluids Engineering Division Summer Conference (FEDSM '09), pp. 2285–2293, ASME, Colorado, Colo, USA, August 2009.
- K. Takizawa, S. Wright, C. Moorman, and T. E. Tezduyar, “Fluid-structure interaction modeling of parachute clusters,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 65, no. 1–3, pp. 286–307, 2011.
- Y. Cao and C. Jiang, “Numerical simulation of the flow field around parachute during terminal descent,” Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 268–272, 2007.
- Y. Cao and H. Xu, “Parachute flying physical model and inflation simulation analysis,” Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 2004.
- D. Ormières and M. Provansal, “Transition to turbulence in the wake of a sphere,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 80–83, 1999.