- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Public Health
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 325410, 8 pages
Occupational Exposure to Respirable Suspended Particulate Matter and Lung Functions Deterioration of Steel Workers: An Exploratory Study in India
1Department of Industrial & Production Engineering, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, Punjab 144044, India
2Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi, India
Received 14 May 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editors: V. H. Borja-Aburto and I. Szadkowska-Stanczyk
Copyright © 2013 Lakhwinder Pal Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P.-C. Chen, P. E. Doyle, and J.-D. Wang, “Respirable dust exposure and respiratory health in male Taiwanese steelworkers,” Industrial Health, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 190–199, 2006.
- Y. I. A. Neaimi, J. Gomes, and O. L. Lloyd, “Respiratory illness and ventilator function among workers at a cement factory in a rapidly developing country,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 367–373, 2001.
- R. R. Tiwari, R. Narain, B. D. Patel, I. S. Makwana, and H. N. Saiyed, “Spirometric measurements among quartz stone ex-workers of Gujarat, India,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 88–93, 2003.
- J. W. Koo, C. K. Chung, C. Y. Park et al., “The effect of silica dust on ventilatory function of foundry workers,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 251–257, 2000.
- Y. W. Law, M. C. Leung, C. C. Leung, T. S. Yu, and C. M. Tam, “Characteristics of workers attending the pneumoconiosis clinic for silicosis assessment in Hong Kong: retrospective study,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 343–349, 2001.
- G. Ostiguy, C. Vaillancourt, and R. Begin, “Respiratory health of workers exposed to metal dusts and foundry fumes in a copper refinery,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 52, pp. 204–210, 1995.
- E. Zuskin, J. Mustajbegovic, E. N. Schachter, J. Kern, J. Doko, and J. Godnic-Cvar, “Respiratory findings in workers employed in the brick-manufacturing industry,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 814–820, 1998.
- F. Dehghan, S. Mohammadi, Z. Sadeghi, and M. Attarchi, “Respiratory complaints and spirometric parameters in tile and ceramic factory workers,” Tanaffos, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 19–25, 2009.
- J. E. Myers and J. E. Cornell, “Respiratory health of brickworkers in Cape Town, South Africa. Symptoms, signs and pulmonary function abnormalities,” Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 188–194, 1989.
- M. Singhal, F. Khaliq, S. Singhal, and O. P. Tandon, “Pulmonary functions in petrol pump workers: a preliminary study,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 244–248, 2007.
- M. I. Mikov, “Chronic bronchitis in foundry workers in Vojvodina. Ventilatory capacity in foundry workers,” Archives of Environmental Health, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 261–267, 1974.
- J. Mustajbegovic, E. Zuskin, E. N. Schachter, J. Kern, M. Luburic-Milas, and J. Pucarin, “Respiratory findings in tobacco workers,” Chest, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. 1740–1748, 2003.
- I. Yanev, “Dynamic study of respiratory functions in tobacco workers,” Folia Medica, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 33–41, 1987.
- J. Gomes, O. L. Lloyd, N. J. Norman, and P. Pahwa, “Dust exposure and impairment of lung function at a small iron foundry in a rapidly developing country,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 656–662, 2001.
- A. D. Oxman, D. C. F. Muir, H. S. Shannon, S. R. Stock, E. Hnizdo, and H. J. Lange, “Occupational dust exposure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic overview of the evidence,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 1993.
- L. P. Singh, A. Bhardwa, K. K. Deepak, and S. Sahu, “Small and medium scale casting and forging industry in India: an ergonomic study,” Ergonomics Society of South Africa, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 36–56, 2010.