- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341832, 8 pages
Effects of Low-Level Laser Therapy, 660 nm, in Experimental Septic Arthritis
1Laboratory of Injuries Study and Physical Therapy Resources of the State University of Western Paraná (UNIOESTE), Universitária Street, 2069 Jd. Universitário, P.O. Box 711, 85819-110 Cascavel, PR, Brazil
2UNIOESTE Pharmacy College, Brazil
3Laboratory of Cell Biology of the UNIOESTE, Brazil
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editors: R. Marks and G. Murdaca
Copyright © 2013 Bruna Formentão Araujo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Visser and J. Tupper, “Septic until proven otherwise approach to and treatment of the septic joint in adult patients,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 374–375, 2009.
- M. E. Shirtliff and J. T. Mader, “Acute septic arthritis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 527–544, 2002.
- W. Wang, S. Lee, T. Chiueh, and J. Lu, “Molecular and phenotypic characteristics of methicillin-resistant and vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus isolates from patients with septic arthritis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 3617–3623, 2009.
- R. Albertini, F. Aimbire, A. B. Villaverde, J. A. Silva Jr., and M. S. Costa, “COX-2 mRNA expression decreases in the subplantar muscle of rat paw subjected to carrageenan-induced inflammation after low level laser therapy,” Inflammation Research, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 228–229, 2007.
- J. M. Bjordal, R. A. B. Lopes-Martins, and V. V. Iversen, “A randomised, placebo controlled trial of low level laser therapy for activated Achilles tendinitis with microdialysis measurement of peritendinous prostaglandin E2 concentrations,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2006.
- S. Hagiwara, H. Iwasaka, A. Hasegawa, and T. Noguchi, “Pre-irradiation of blood by gallium aluminum arsenide (830 nm) low-level laser enhances peripheral endogenous opioid analgesia in rats,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1058–1063, 2008.
- R. Albertini, F. S. C. Aimbire, F. I. Correa et al., “Effects of different protocol doses of low power gallium-aluminum-arsenate (Ga-Al-As) laser radiation (650 nm) on carrageenan induced rat paw ooedema,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 74, no. 2-3, pp. 101–107, 2004.
- E. L. Nussbaum, L. Lilge, and T. Mazzulli, “Effects of 630-, 660-, 810-, and 905 nm laser irradiation delivering radiant exposure of 1–50 J/cm2 on three species of bacteria in vitro,” Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine and Surgery, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 325–333, 2002.
- E. L. Nussbaum, L. Lilge, and T. Mazzulli, “Effects of 810 nm laser irradiation on in vitro growth of bacteria: comparison of continuous wave and frequency modulated light,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 343–351, 2002.
- K. Nandakumar, H. Obika, T. Shinozaki, T. Ooie, A. Utsumi, and T. Yano, “Inhibition of bacterial attachment by pulsed Nd:YAG laser irradiations: an in vitro study using marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas carrageenovora,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 552–558, 2002.
- K. Nandakumar, H. Obika, A. Utsumi, T. Ooie, and T. Yano, “Molecular level damages of low power pulsed laser radiation in a marine bacterium Pseudoalteromonas carrageenovora,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 521–526, 2006.
- R. G. Benvindo, G. Braun, A. R. Carvalho, and G. R. F. Bertolini, “Efeitos da terapia fotodinâmica e de uma única aplicação de laser de baixa potência em bactérias in vitro,” Fisioterapia E Pesquisa, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2008.
- F. Coutinho, V. Giordano, C. M. Santos et al., “O efeito do laser de baixa energia no crescimento bacteriano ‘in vitro’,” Revista Brasileira De Ortopedia, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 248–253, 2007.
- K. Kawamoto, N. Senda, K. Shimada, K. Ito, Y. Hirano, and S. Murai, “Antibacterial effect of yellow He-Ne laser irradiation with crystal violet solution on Porphyromonas gingivalis: an evaluation using experimental rat model involving subcutaneous abscess,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 2000.
- T. M. Cunha, W. A. Verri Jr., G. G. Vivancos et al., “An electronic pressure-meter nociception paw test for mice,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 401–407, 2004.
- L. C. Junqueira and L. M. M. S. Junqueira, Técnicas Básicas De Citologia E Histologia, Santos, São Paulo, Brazil, 1983.
- A. Ateschrang, D. Albrecht, S. Schroeter, K. Weise, and J. Dolderer, “Current concepts review: septic arthritis of the knee pathophysiology, diagnostics, and therapy,” Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 123, no. 7-8, pp. 191–197, 2011.
- A. Hamel, J. Caillon, C. Jacqueline et al., “Intermittent active motion versus immobilization in the treatment of Staphylococcus aureus—induced arthritis in a rabbit model,” Journal of Children's Orthopaedics, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 491–495, 2008.
- L. Henningsson, P. Jirholt, C. Lindholm et al., “Interleukin-17A during local and systemic Staphylococcus aureus-induced arthritis in mice,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 3783–3790, 2010.
- S. Majumdar, K. Dutta, S. K. Manna, A. Basu, and B. Bishayi, “Possible protective role of chloramphenicol in TSST-1 and coagulase-positive Staphylococcus aureus-induced septic arthritis with altered levels of inflammatory mediators,” Inflammation, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 269–282, 2011.
- D. Varoga, E. Klostermeier, F. Paulsen et al., “The antimicrobial peptide HBD-2 and the Toll-like receptors-2 and -4 are induced in synovial membranes in case of septic arthritis,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 454, no. 6, pp. 685–694, 2009.
- A. Andriolo, R. P. Costa, and N. F. Novo, “Pró-calcitonina e proteína C reativa em processos infecciosos graves,” Jornal Brasileiro De Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 169–174, 2004.
- F. A. C. Vaz, M. E. J. Ceccon, E. M. A. Diníz, and F. Valdetaro, “Indicadores imunológicos (IgM e proteína C-reativa) nas infecções neonatais,” Revista Da Associação Médica Brasileira, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 185–195, 1998.
- R. Albertini, A. B. Villaverde, F. Aimbire et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) with two different red wavelengths (660 nm and 684 nm) in carrageenan-induced rat paw edema,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2007.
- E. Laakso and P. J. Cabot, “Nociceptive scores and endorphin-containing cells reduced by low-level laser therapy (LLLT) in inflamed paws of Wistar rat,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 2005.
- M. Bayat, M. M. Vasheghani, N. Razavi, S. Taheri, and M. Rakhshan, “Effect of low-level laser therapy on the healing of second-degree burns in rats: a histological and microbiological study,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2005.
- M. Bayat, M. M. Vasheghani, and N. Razavi, “Effect of low-level helium-neon laser therapy on the healing of third-degree burns in rats,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 87–93, 2006.
- A. Ezzati, M. Bayat, and A. Khoshvaghti, “Low-level laser therapy with a pulsed infrared laser accelerates second-degree burn healing in rat: a clinical and microbiologic study,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 603–611, 2010.
- N. R. S. Santos, J. B. De M. Sobrinho, P. F. Almeida et al., “Influence of the combination of infrared and red laser light on the healing of cutaneous wounds infected by Staphylococcus aureus,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2011.
- M. M. Vasheghani, M. Bayat, M. Dadpay, M. Habibie, and F. Rezaei, “Low-level laser therapy using 80-Hz pulsed infrared diode laser accelerates third-degree burn healing in rat,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 959–964, 2009.
- G. Ş. Kaya, M. Kaya, N. Gürsan, E. Kireççi, M. Güngörmüş, and H. Balta, “The use of 808 nm light therapy to treat experimental chronic osteomyelitis induced in rats by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 405–412, 2011.
- T. Karu, “Primary and secondary mechanisms of action of visible to near-IR radiation on cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 1999.
- B. Beyreuther, N. Callizot, and T. Stöhr, “Antinociceptive efficacy of lacosamide in the monosodium iodoacetate rat model for osteoarthritis pain,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 9, article R14, 2007.
- E. G. Melo, V. A. Nunes, C. M. F. Rezende, M. G. Gomes, C. Malm, and V. A. Gheller, “Sulfato de condroitina e hialuronato de sódio no tratamento da doença articular degenerativa em cães. Estudo histológico da cartilagem articular e membrana sinovial,” Arquivos Brasileiros De Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2008.
- F. P. Carlos, E. L. V. Silva, T. F. Q. Almeida, S. F. Zamuner, and S. R. Zamuner, “Estudo histológico do efeito da terapia LED (Light Emitting Diode) na membrana sinovial após indução da artrite aguda em joelhos de ratos,” Revista Terapia Manual, vol. 9, no. 46, pp. 707–711, 2011.
- V. Kumar and J. A. Perkins, Robbins e Cotran patologia: bases patológicas das doenças, Elsevier, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 8th edition, 2010.
- A. L. Kierszenbaum, Histologia e Biologia Celular: Uma Introdução à Patologia, Elsevier, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2004.
- S. A. Allard, M. T. Bayliss, and R. N. Maini, “The synovium-cartilage junction of the normal human knee. Implications for joint destruction and repair,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1170–1179, 1990.
- G. N. Smith Jr., S. L. Myers, K. D. Brandt, E. A. Mickler, and M. E. Albrecht, “Diacerhein treatment reduces the severity of osteoarthritis in the canine cruciate-deficiency model of osteoarthritis,” Arthritis e Rheumatism, vol. 42, pp. 545–554, 1999.
- N. V. Podworny, R. A. Kandel, R. C. Renlund, and M. D. Grynpas, “Partial chondroprotective effect of zoledronate in a rabbit model of inflammatory arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1972–1982, 1999.
- D. W. Puett and M. R. Griffin, “Published trials of nonmedicinal and noninvasive therapies for hip and knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 1994.
- Y. Lin, M. Huang, C. Chai, and R. Yang, “Effects of helium-neon laser on levels of stress protein and arthritic histopathology in experimental osteoarthritis,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 758–765, 2004.
- D. Baeten, F. De Keyser, P. Demetter et al., “Comparative study of the synovial histology in rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthropathy, and osteoarthritis: influence of disease duration and activity,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 945–953, 2000.
- R. I. Pavlovich and J. Lubowitz, “Current concepts in synovial tissue of the knee joint,” Orthopedics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 160–163, 2008.