- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 351309, 4 pages
The Effect of Erythropoietin on Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury after Testicular Torsion/Detorsion: A Randomized Experimental Study
1Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 5166614756, Iran
2Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 5166614756, Iran
3Drug Applied Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 5165665811, Iran
Received 11 February 2013; Accepted 7 March 2013
Academic Editors: W. Krause and V. Serretta
Copyright © 2013 Fahimeh Kazemi Rashed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. X. Schneck and M. E. Bellinger, “Abnormalities of the testis and scrotum and their surgical management,” in Campbell-Walsh Urology, A. J. Wein, L. R. Kavoussi, A. C. Novick, A. W. Partin, and C. A. Peters, Eds., vol. 4, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2007.
- M. Saba, C. R. Morales, E. De Lamirande, and C. Gagnon, “Morphological and biochemical changes following acute unilateral testicular torsion in prepubertal rats,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 1149–1154, 1997.
- J. M. McCord, “Oxygen-derived free radicals in postischemic tissue injury,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 312, no. 3, pp. 159–163, 1985.
- N. Paschos, M. G. Lykissas, and A. E. Beris, “The role of erythropoietin as an inhibitor of tissue ischemia,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 161–168, 2008.
- C. J. Parsa, A. Matsumoto, J. Kim et al., “A novel protective effect of erythropoietin in the infarcted heart,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 999–1007, 2003.
- Y. Ergun, A. Koc, K. Dolapcioglu et al., “The protective effect of erythropoietin and dimethylsulfoxide on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovary,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 186–190, 2010.
- S. Carelli, G. Marfia, A. M. Di Giulio, G. Ghilardi, and A. Gorio, “Erythropoietin: recent developments in the treatment of spinal cord injury,” Neurology Research International, vol. 2011, Article ID 453179, 8 pages, 2011.
- M. Karaca, F. Odabasoglu, Y. Kumtepe, A. Albayrak, E. Cadirci, and O. N. Keles, “Protective effects of erythropoietin on ischemia/reperfusion injury of rat ovary,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2009.
- M. K. Shishavan, M. Sayyah-Melli, J. S. Rad, and L. Roshangar, “The ovario-protective effect of erythropoietin against oxidative damage associated with reperfusion following ovarian torsion in rat,” American Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, vol. 107, supplement 2, p. S223, 2009.
- X. Liu, J. Shen, Y. Jin, M. Duan, and J. Xu, “Recombinant human erythropoietin (rhEPO) preconditioning on nuclear factor-κ B (NF-κB) activation & proinflammatory cytokines induced by myocardial ischaemia-reperfusion,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 343–354, 2006.
- D. W. Johnson, B. Pat, D. A. Vesey, Z. Guan, Z. Endre, and G. C. Gobe, “Delayed administration of darbepoetin or erythropoietin protects against ischemic acute renal injury and failure,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 1806–1813, 2006.
- V. Bakan, H. Çıralık, F. I. Tolun, Y. Atli, A. Mil, and Ş. Öztürk, “Protective effect of erythropoietin on torsion/detorsion injury in rat model,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1988–1994, 2009.
- B. Köseoǧlu, E. Yilmaz, K. Ceylan, E. Uzun, I. Bayram, and F. Hizli, “The protective effect of erythropoietin infusion on testicular torsion/ detorsion: an experimental study,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 85–91, 2009.
- N. Yazihan, H. Ataoglu, N. Koku, E. Erdemli, and A. K. Sargin, “Protective role of erythropoietin during testicular torsion of the rats,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 531–536, 2007.
- B. Akcora, M. E. Altug, T. Kontas, and E. Atik, “The protective effect of darbepoetin alfa on experimental testicular torsion and detorsion injury,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 846–850, 2007.
- M. H. Ozkan, I. M. Vural, S. Moralioglu, S. Uma, and Y. Sarioglu, “Torsion/detorsion of the testis does not modify responses to nitric oxide in rat isolated penile bulb,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 117–120, 2007.
- S. G. Johnsen, “Testicular biopsy score count–a method for registration of spermatogenesis in human testes: normal values and results in 335 hypogonadal males,” Hormones, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–25, 1970.
- M. J. Cosentino, M. Nishida, R. Rabinowitz, and A. T. K. Cockett, “Histopathology of prepubertal rat testes subjected to various durations of spermatic cord torsion,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 1986.
- M. Foller, L. Kaestner, E. Straface, and J. Vogel, “Erythrocytes and erythropoietin,” International Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 2011, Article ID 972536, 2 pages, 2011.
- N. S. A. Patel, E. J. Sharples, S. Cuzzocrea et al., “Pretreatment with EPO reduces the injury and dysfunction caused by ischemia/reperfusion in the mouse kidney in vivo,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 983–989, 2004.
- M. Dobashi, K. Goda, H. Maruyama, and M. Fujisawa, “Erythropoietin gene transfer into rat testes by in vivo electroporation may reduce the risk of germ cell loss caused by cryptorchidism,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 369–373, 2005.
- B. U. Ergur, M. Kiray, C. Pekcetin, H. A. Bagriyanik, and G. Erbil, “Protective effect of erythropoietin pretreatment in testicular ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 722–728, 2008.