- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 382138, 6 pages
Postoperative Complications following Nodal Dissection and Their Association with Melanoma Recurrence
Department of Academic Surgery, University College Cork (UCC), National University of Ireland (NUI),
Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Received 3 January 2013; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editors: D. Laub, J. P. Wei, and D. E. Ziogas
Copyright © 2013 Abubakr Ahmed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- D. L. Morton, D. R. Wen, J. H. Wong et al., “Technical details of intraoperative lymphatic mapping for early stage melanoma,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 392–399, 1992.
- D. L. Morton, J. F. Thompson, A. J. Cochran, et al., “Sentinel-node biopsy or nodal observation in melanoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 13, pp. 1307–1317, 2006.
- E. Månsson-Brahme, J. Carstensen, K. Erhardt, et al., “Prognostic factors in thin cutaneous malignant melanoma,” Cancer, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 2324–2332, 2006.
- J. E. Gershenwald, W. Thompson, P. F. Mansfield et al., “Multi-institutional melanoma lymphatic mapping experience: the prognostic value of sentinel lymph node status in 612 stage I or II melanoma patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 976–983, 1999.
- C. M. Balch, S. J. Soong, A. A. Bartolucci et al., “Efficacy of an elective regional lymph node dissection of 1 to 4 mm thick melanomas for patients 60 years of age and younger,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 224, no. 3, pp. 255–266, 1996.
- C. Garbe, P. Büttner, J. Bertz, et al., “Primary cutaneous melanoma. Prognostic classification of anatomic location,” Cancer, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 2492–2498, 1995.
- L. Schuchter, D. J. Schultz, M. Synnestvedt et al., “A prognostic model for predicting 10-year survival in patients with primary melanoma,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 369–375, 1996.
- C. M. Balch, J. E. Gershenwald, S. J. Soong et al., “Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors among 2,313 patients with stage III melanoma: comparison of nodal micrometastases versus macrometastases,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 2452–2459, 2010.
- G. G. Callender, M. E. Egger, A. L. Burton, et al., “Prognostic implications of anatomic location of primary cutaneous melanoma of 1 mm or thicker,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 202, no. 6, pp. 659–665, 2011.
- M. B. Faries, J. F. Thompson, A. Cochran et al., “The impact on morbidity and length of stay of early versus delayed complete lymphadenectomy in melanoma: results of the multicenter selective lymphadenectomy trial (I),” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3324–3329, 2010.
- W. R. Wrightson, S. L. Wong, M. J. Edwards et al., “Complications associated with sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 676–680, 2003.
- N. Wasserberg, H. Tulchinsky, J. Schachter, M. Feinmesser, and H. Gutman, “Sentinel-lymph-node biopsy (SLNB) for melanoma is not complication-free,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 851–856, 2004.
- D. G. Baker, T. M. Masterson, R. Pace, W. C. Constable, and H. Wanebo, “The influence of the surgical wound on local tumor recurrence,” Surgery, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 525–532, 1989.
- S. O. P. Hofer, D. Shrayer, J. S. Reichner, H. J. Hoekstra, and H. J. Wanebo, “Wound-induced tumor progression: a probable role in recurrence after tumor resection,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 383–389, 1998.
- R. Berguer, N. Bravo, M. Bowyer, C. Egan, T. Knolmayer, and D. Ferrick, “Major surgery suppresses maximal production of helper T-cell type 1 cytokines without potentiating the release of helper T-cell type 2 cytokines,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 540–544, 1999.
- J. C. Coffey, J. H. Wang, M. J. F. Smith, D. Bouchier-Hayes, T. G. Cotter, and H. P. Redmond, “Excisional surgery for cancer cure: therapy at a cost,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 760–768, 2003.
- B. L. Andersen, C. L. Shapiro, W. B. Farrar, T. Crespin, and S. Welis-DiGregorio, “Psychological responses to cancer recurrence,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1540–1547, 2005.
- K. L. Kilbridge, J. C. Weeks, A. J. Sober et al., “Patient preferences for adjuvant interferon alfa-2b treatment,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 812–823, 2001.
- N. Cascinelli, A. Morabito, M. Santinami, R. M. Mackie, and F. Belli, “Immediate or delayed dissection of regional nodes in patients with melanoma of the trunk: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 351, no. 9105, pp. 793–796, 1998.
- A. A. Sarnaik, C. A. Puleo, J. S. Zager, and V. K. Sondak, “Limiting the morbidity of inguinal lymphadenectomy for metastatic melanoma,” Cancer Control, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 240–247, 2009.
- M. De Vries, H. J. Hoekstra, and J. E. H. M. Hoekstra-Weebers, “Quality of life after axillary or groin sentinel lymph node biopsy, with or without completion lymph node dissection, in patients with cutaneous melanoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2840–2847, 2009.
- T. M. D. Hughes, R. P. A'Hern, and J. M. Thomas, “Prognosis and surgical mananagement of patients with palpable inguinal lymph node metastases from melanoma,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 892–901, 2000.
- S. E. Singletary, R. Shallenberger, and V. F. Guinee, “Surgical management of groin nodal metastases from primary melanoma of the lower extremity,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 195–200, 1992.
- C. P. Karakousis, M. A. Heiser, and R. H. Moore, “Lymphedema after groin dissection,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 205–208, 1983.
- C. P. Karakousis, “Therapeutic node dissections in malignant melanoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 473–482, 1998.
- C. P. Karakousis, M. A. Hena, L. J. Emrich, and D. L. Driscoll, “Axillary node dissection in malignant melanoma: results and complications,” Surgery, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 1990.
- C. R. Rayner, “The results of node resection for clinically enlarged lymph nodes in malignant melanoma,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 152–156, 1981.