- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 385398, 7 pages
Endothelin-1 Enriched Tumor Phenotype Predicts Breast Cancer Recurrence
1Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, B409 Clinical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
2Department of Statistics and Probability, Michigan State University, 432A Wells Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
3Department of Physiology, Michigan State University, 4164 Biomedical Physical Sciences, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
4Department of Pathology, McLaren Regional Medical Center, 3490 Calkins Road, Flint, MI 48532, USA
5Michigan State University, B234 Life Science Building, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
6Pediatrics and Human Development, Michigan State University, B238 Life Science Building, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
7Michigan State University, 401 W Greenlawn Avenue, Lansing, MI 48910, USA
8Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, B413 Clinical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824-1317, USA
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 9 May 2013
Academic Editors: Y. Akiyama, Z. S. Guo, S. Holdenrieder, T. Komiya, W. C. Mertens, and S. Patel
Copyright © 2013 Deimante Tamkus et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Brewster, G. N. Hortobagyi, K. R. Broglio et al., “Residual risk of breast cancer recurrence 5 years after adjuvant therapy,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 16, pp. 1179–1183, 2008.
- R. R. Langley and I. J. Fidler, “The seed and soil hypothesis revisited—the role of tumor-stroma interactions in metastasis to different organs,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 2527–2535, 2011.
- I. J. Diel, M. Kaufmann, S. D. Costa et al., “Micrometastatic breast cancer cells in bone marrow at primary surgery: prognostic value in comparison with nodal status,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 88, no. 22, pp. 1652–1658, 1996.
- C. W. Wong, A. Lee, L. Shientag et al., “Apoptosis: an early event in metastatic inefficiency,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 333–338, 2001.
- A. Bagnato, M. Loizidou, B. R. Pflug, J. Curwen, and J. Growcott, “Role of the endothelin axis and its antagonists in the treatment of cancer,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 220–233, 2011.
- N. Said and D. Theodorescu, “Permissive role of endothelin receptors in tumor metastasis,” Life Sciences, vol. 91, no. 13-14, pp. 522–527, 2012.
- K. Kojima and Z. Nihei, “Expression of endothelin-1 immunoreactivity in breast cancer,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 309–315, 1995.
- H. Ehrenreich, R. W. Anderson, C. H. Fox et al., “Endothelins, peptides with potent vasoactive properties, are produced by human macrophages,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 1741–1748, 1990.
- G. Egidy, L. Juillerat-Jeanneret, J. F. Jeannin, P. Korth, F. T. Bosman, and F. Pinet, “Modulation of human colon tumor-stromal interactions by the endothelin system,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. 1863–1874, 2000.
- E. E. Hinsley, S. Kumar, K. D. Hunter, et al., “Endothelin-1 stimulates oral fibroblasts to promote oral cancer invasion,” Life Sciences, vol. 91, no. 13-14, pp. 557–561, 2012.
- N. Said, S. Smith, M. Sanchez-Carbayo, and D. Theodorescu, “Tumor endothelin-1 enhances metastatic colonization of the lung in mouse xenograft models of bladder cancer,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 132–147, 2011.
- P. Knowles, X. Shi-Wen, S. Haque, et al., “Endothelin-1 stimulates colon cancer adjacent fibroblasts,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 1264–1272, 2012.
- P. Wülfing, J. Tio, C. Kersting et al., “Expression of Endothelin-A-Receptor predicts unfavourable response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 434–440, 2004.
- P. Wülfing, R. Diallo, C. Kersting et al., “Expression of endothelin-1, endothelin-A, and endothelin-B receptor in human breast cancer and correlation with long-term follow-up,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 4125–4131, 2003.
- K. Alanen, D. X. Deng, and S. Chakrabarti, “Augmented expression of endothelin-1, endothelin-3 and the endothelin-B receptor in breast carcinoma,” Histopathology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 161–167, 2000.
- G. Finak, N. Bertos, F. Pepin et al., “Stromal gene expression predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer,” Nature Medicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 518–527, 2008.
- B. J. Boersma, M. Reimers, M. Yi et al., “A stromal gene signature associated with inflammatory breast cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 1324–1332, 2008.
- L. Mauriac, A. Keshaviah, M. Debled et al., “Predictors of early relapse in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer in the BIG 1-98 trial,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 859–867, 2007.
- Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative, G., “Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials,” Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9472, pp. 1687–1717, 2005.
- H. Jin, D. Tu, N. Zhao, L. E. Shepherd, and P. E. Goss, “Longer-term outcomes of letrozole versus placebo after 5 years of tamoxifen in the NCIC CTG MA.17 trial: analyses adjusting for treatment crossover,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 718–721, 2012.
- J. B. Nelson, M. S. Udan, G. Guruli, and B. R. Pflug, “Endothelin-1 inhibits apoptosis in prostate cancer,” Neoplasia, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 631–637, 2005.
- D. Del Bufalo, V. Di Castro, A. Biroccio et al., “Endothelin-1 protects ovarian carcinoma cells against paclitaxel-induced apoptosis: requirement for Akt activation,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 524–532, 2002.
- S. Alexander and P. Friedl, “Cancer invasion and resistance: interconnected processes of disease progression and therapy failure,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 13–26, 2012.
- J. Fischgräbe, M. Götte, K. Michels, L. Kiesel, and P. Wülfing, “Targeting endothelin A receptor enhances anti-proliferative and anti-invasive effects of the HER2 antibody trastuzumab in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 696–706, 2010.
- M. Smollich, M. Götte, J. Fischgräbe et al., “ETAR antagonist ZD4054 exhibits additive effects with aromatase inhibitors and fulvestrant in breast cancer therapy, and improves in vivo efficacy of anastrozole,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 345–357, 2010.
- J. P. Thiery, H. Acloque, R. Y. J. Huang, and M. A. Nieto, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and disease,” Cell, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 871–890, 2009.
- M. W. Klymkowsky and P. Savagner, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition: a cancer researcher's conceptual friend and foe,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 1588–1593, 2009.
- L. Larue and A. Bellacosa, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in development and cancer: role of phosphatidylinositol kinase/AKT pathways,” Oncogene, vol. 24, no. 50, pp. 7443–7454, 2005.
- A. Bagnato and L. Rosanò, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in ovarian cancer progression: a crucial role for the endothelin axis,” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 185, no. 1–3, pp. 85–94, 2007.
- D. Vergara, B. Merlot, J. P. Lucot et al., “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in ovarian cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 291, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2010.