- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 390314, 9 pages
Dental Maturity in Saudi Children Using the Demirjian Method: A Comparative Study and New Prediction Models
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Riyadh Colleges of Dentistry and Pharmacy, P.O. Box 67126, Riyadh 11596, Saudi Arabia
Received 27 December 2012; Accepted 18 January 2013
Academic Editors: M. Del Fabbro and J. H. Jeng
Copyright © 2013 Ziad D. Baghdadi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Demirjian, H. Goldstein, and J. M. Tanner, “A new system of dental age assessment,” Human Biology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 211–227, 1973.
- R. J. Hegde and P. B. Sood, “Dental maturity as an indicator of chronological age: radiographic evaluation of dental age in 6 to 13 years children of Belgaum using Demirjian methods,” Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 132–138, 2002.
- G. Willems, A. Van Olmen, B. Spiessens, and C. Carels, “Dental age estimation in Belgian children: Demirjian's technique revisited,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 893–895, 2001.
- G. Willems, “A review of the most commonly used dental age estimation techniques,” Journal of Forensic Odonto-Stomatology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2001.
- U. Hägg and L. Matsson, “Dental maturity as an indicator of chronological age: the accuracy and precision of three methods,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1985.
- L. E. Davidson and H. D. Rodd, “Interrelationship between dental age and chronological age in Somali children,” Community Dental Health, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 2001.
- V. M. Phillips and T. J. Van Wyk Kotze, “Testing standard methods of dental age estimation by moorrees, fanning and hunt and demirjian, goldstein and tanner on three south african children samples,” Journal of Forensic Odonto-Stomatology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 20–28, 2009.
- V. M. Phillips and T. J. Van Wyk Kotze, “Dental age related tables for children of various ethnic groups in South Africa,” Journal of Forensic Odonto-Stomatology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 29–44, 2009.
- N. Chaillet, G. Willems, and A. Demirjian, “Dental maturity in Belgian children using Demirjian's method and polynomial functions: new standard curves for forensic and clinical use,” Journal of Forensic Odonto-Stomatology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 18–27, 2004.
- M. A. Qudeimat and F. Behbehani, “Dental age assessment for Kuwaiti children using Demirjian's method,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 695–704, 2009.
- S. Al-Emran, “Dental age assessment of 8.5 to 17 year-old Saudi children using Demirjian's method,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 064–071, 2008.
- H. Cardoso, “Differential sensitivity in growth and development of dental and skeletal tissue to environmental quality,” Arquivos de Medicina, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2007.
- N. M. Burt, Testing the Demirjian method and the international Demirjian method on an urban American sample [M.S. thesis], Michigan State University, 2007.
- S. J. AlQahtani, M. P. Hector, and H. M. Liversidge, “Brief communication: the London atlas of human tooth development and eruption,” American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 481–490, 2010.
- M. Nyström, J. Haataja, M. Kataja, M. Evälahti, L. Peck, and E. Kleemola-Kujala, “Dental maturity in Finnish children, estimated from the development of seven permanent mandibular teeth,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 193–198, 1986.
- H. Mörnstad, M. Reventlid, and A. Teivens, “The validity of four methods for age determination by teeth in Swedish children: a multicentre study,” Swedish dental journal, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 121–130, 1995.
- V. Staaf, H. Mörnstad, and U. Welander, “Age estimation based on tooth development: a test of reliability and validity,” Scandinavian Journal of Dental Research, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 281–286, 1991.
- I. H. Leurs, E. Wattel, I. H. A. Aartman, E. Etty, and B. Prahl-Andersen, “Dental age in Dutch children,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 309–314, 2005.
- E. S. Tunc and A. E. Koyuturk, “Dental age assessment using Demirjian's method on northern Turkish children,” Forensic Science International, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 2008.
- L. Ferrante and R. Cameriere, “Statistical methods to assess the reliability of measurements in the procedures for forensic age estimation,” International Journal of Legal Medicine, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2009.
- M. E. L. de Moraes, M. S. Bastos, L. R. D. A. dos Santos, J. C. D. M. Castilho, L. C. de Moraes, and E. Medici Filho, “Dental age in patients with Down syndrome,” Brazilian Oral Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 259–264, 2007.
- N. Chaillet, M. Nyström, and A. Demirjian, “Comparison of dental maturity in children of different ethnic origins: international maturity curves for clinicians,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1164–1174, 2005.
- A. O. Musaiger, “Nutritional status of mothers and children in the Arab Gulf countries,” Health Promotion International, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 259–268, 1990.
- A. Cruz-Landeira, J. Linares-Argote, M. Martínez-Rodríguez, M. S. Rodríguez-Calvo, X. L. Otero, and L. Concheiro, “Dental age estimation in Spanish and Venezuelan children. Comparison of Demirjian and Chaillet's scores,” International Journal of Legal Medicine, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2010.
- S. Flood, W. Michell, C. Oxnard, B. Turlach, and J. McGeachie, “To evaluate the utility of smaller sample sizes when assessing dental maturity curves for forensic age estimation,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1604–1610, 2011.
- Z. D. Baghdadi and S. C. Pani, “Accuracy of population-specific Demirjian curves in the estimation of dental age of Saudi children,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 125–131, 2012.
- R. A. Armstrong and A. Hilton, “The use of analysis of variance (ANOVA) in applied microbiology,” Microbiologist, vol. 5, pp. 18–21, 2004.