- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 395125, 6 pages
Body Weight Perception and Weight Control Practices among Teenagers
Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Mauritius, Reduit, Mauritius
Received 7 June 2013; Accepted 16 July 2013
Academic Editors: P. Crenn, R. Moore-Carrasco, and P. V. Torres Durán
Copyright © 2013 Darshini Devi Bhurtun and Rajesh Jeewon. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Lowry, D. Galuska, and J. E. Fulton, “Weight management goals and practices among U.S. high school students: associations with physical activity, diet, and smoking,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 133–144, 2002.
- L. M. Irving, M. Wall, D. Neuwark-Sztainer, and M. Story, “Steroid use among adolescents: findings from project EAT,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 243–252, 2001.
- B. M. Malinauskas, T. D. Raedeke, V. G. Aeby, J. L. Smith, and M. B. Dallas, “Dieting practices, weight perceptions, and body composition: a comparison of normal weight, overweight, and obese college females,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 5, article 11, 2006.
- T. A. Ryan and T. Morrison, “Factors perceived to influence young Irish men's body image investment: a qualitative investigation,” International Journal of Men's Health, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 213–234, 2009.
- Y. Wang, H. Liang, and X. Chen, “Measured body mass index, body weight perception, dissatisfaction in urban, low-income African American adolescents,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 183, 2009.
- L. Tremblay and M. Limbos, “Body image disturbance and psychopathology in children: research evidence and implications for prevention and treatment,” Current Psychiatry Reviews, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 62–72, 2009.
- P. Cheung, P. Ip, S. T. Lam, and H. Bibby, “A study on body weight perception and weight control behaviours among adolescents in Hong Kong,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2007.
- J. M. Liechty, “Body image distortion and three types of weight loss behaviors among nonoverweight girls in the United States,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 176–182, 2010.
- D. Markland and D. K. Ingledew, “The relationships between body mass and body image and relative autonomy for exercise among adolescent males and females,” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 836–853, 2007.
- T. F. M. ter Bogt, S. A. F. M. van Dorsselaer, K. Monshouwer, J. E. E. Verdurmen, R. C. M. E. Engels, and W. A. M. Vollebergh, “Body mass index and body weight perception as risk factors for internalizing and externalizing problem behavior among adolescents,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 2006.
- M. M. C. Wong, “Body weight perception and methods of weight reduction used by patients with first-episode psychotic disorders in Hong Kong,” East Asian Archives of Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 169–173, 2010.
- N. D. Brener, D. K. Eaton, R. Lowry, and T. McManus, “The association between weight perception and BMI among high school students,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1866–1874, 2004.
- J. Yost, B. Krainovich-Miller, W. Budin, and R. Norman, “Assessing weight perception accuracy to promote weight loss among U.S. female adolescents: a secondary analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 465, 2010.
- S. A. French, M. Story, B. Downes, M. D. Resnick, and R. W. Blum, “Frequent dieting among adolescents: psychosocial and health behavior correlates,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 695–701, 1995.
- S. Sijtsema, Transforming health perception into food product characteristics in consumer-oriented product design [Ph.D. thesis], Van Wageningen Universiteit, 2003.
- C. O. Gregory, H. M. Blanck, C. Gillespie, L. M. Maynard, and M. K. Serdula, “Health perceptions and demographic characteristics associated with underassessment of body weight,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 979–986, 2008.
- K. H.-C. Kim, “Religion, weight perception, and weight control behavior,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 2007.
- L.-J. Chen, K. R. Fox, A. M. Haase, and P.-W. Ku, “Correlates of body dissatisfaction among Taiwanese adolescents,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 172–179, 2010.
- C. Welch, S. M. Gross, Y. Bronner, N. Dewberry-Moore, and D. M. Paige, “Discrepancies in body image perception among fourth-grade public school children from urban, suburban, and rural Maryland,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1080–1085, 2004.
- B. Hansel, P. Giral, A. Coppola-Xaillé, G. Monfort, M. Regnault, and E. Bruckert, “L'enquête internet nationale. Le régime Dukan: et après? Premiers resultats,” Obésité, 2011.
- National Institute of Health, Aim for a Healthy Weight, National Institute of Health Publication, Rockville, Md, USA, 2010, http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/.
- K. Ojala, C. Vereecken, R. Välimaa et al., “Attempts to lose weight among overweight and non-overweight adolescents: a cross-national survey,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 4, article 50, 2007.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, J. Patterson, A. Mellin et al., “Weight control practices and disordered eating behaviors among adolescent females and males with type 1 diabetes: associations with sociodemographics, weight concerns, familial factors, and metabolic outcomes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1289–1296, 2002.
- W. Wills, K. Backett-Milburn, S. Gregory, and J. Lawton, “Young teenagers' perceptions of their own and others' bodies: a qualitative study of obese, overweight and ‘normal’ weight young people in Scotland,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 396–406, 2006.
- S. Ziebland, J. Robertson, J. Jay, and A. Neil, “Body image and weight change in middle age: a qualitative study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1083–1091, 2002.
- Ministry of Health and Quality of Life, National Plan of Action for Nutrition 2009-2010, Ministry of Health and Quality of Life, Port Louis, Mauritius, 2009.
- Ministry of Health and Quality of Life, The Global Health School-Based Survey, Ministry of Health and Quality of Life, Port Louis, Mauritius, 2007.
- M. Inoue, S. Toyokawa, Y. Miyoshi et al., “Degree of agreement between weight perception and body mass index of Japanese workers: my health up study,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 376–381, 2007.
- P. Tiwari and A. Sankhala, “Prevalence of obesity, weight perception and dietary behaviour of urban college going girls,” Journal of Human Ecology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 181–183, 2007.
- National Centre for Health Statistics, National Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 2000, http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l023.pdf.
- National Centre for Health Statistics, National Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 2000, http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l024.pdf.
- J. Wardle, J. Griffith, F. Johnson, and L. Rapoport, “Intentional weight control and food choice habits in a national representative sample of adults in the UK,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 534–540, 2000.
- Harvard School of Public Health, The Nutrition Source Vegetables and Fruits: Get Plenty Every Day, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass, USA, 2011, http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-full-story/#1.
- R. S. Strauss, “Childhood obesity and self-esteem,” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 1, p. 111, 2000.
- K. Boutelle, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Story, and M. Resnick, “Weight control behaviors among obese, overweight, and nonoverweight adolescents,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 531–540, 2002.
- B. Navia, R. M. Ortega, A. M. Requejo, M. C. Mena, J. M. Perea, and A. M. López-Sobaler, “Influence of the desire to lose weight on food habits, and knowledge of the characteristics of a balanced diet, in a group of Madrid university students,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. S90–S93, 2003.
- M. Nowak, “The weight-conscious adolescent: body image, food intake, and weight- related behavior,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 389–398, 1998.
- K. Levin, W. van der Sluijs, J. Todd, and C. Currie, Key Findings from the 2006 Scottish Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children, 2009.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, C. Goeden, M. Story, and M. Wall, “Associations between body satisfaction and physical activity in adolescents: implications for programs aimed at preventing a broad spectrum of weight-related disorders,” Eating Disorders, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 125–137, 2004.
- S. Y. S. Kimm, N. W. Glynn, A. M. Kriska et al., “Decline in physical activity in black girls and white girls during adolescence,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 10, pp. 709–715, 2002.
- C. Arcan, M. Y. Kubik, J. A. Fulkerson, and M. Story, “Sociodemographic differences in selected eating practices among alternative high school students,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 823–829, 2009.
- G. C. Rampersaud, M. A. Pereira, B. L. Girard, J. Adams, and J. D. Metzl, “Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight, and academic performance in children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 743–760, 2005.
- H. Al Sabbah, C. Vereecken, Z. Abdeen et al., “Weight control behaviors among overweight, normal weight and underweight adolescents in Palestine: findings from the national study of Palestinian schoolchildren (HBSC-WBG2004),” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 326–336, 2010.