- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 420795, 7 pages
ENETS TNM Staging Predicts Prognosis in Small Bowel Neuroendocrine Tumours
1Institute of Liver Studies, King’s College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, UK
2Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Lewisham, London SE13 6LH, UK
3Nuclear Medicine, King’s College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, UK
4Department of Gastroenterology, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Foundation Trust, Hampshire R924 9NA, UK
Received 20 December 2012; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editors: J. Nylandsted and K. van Golen
Copyright © 2013 R. Srirajaskanthan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Hatzaras, J. A. Palesty, F. Abir et al., “Small-bowel tumors: epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of 1260 cases from the Connecticut tumor registry,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2007.
- I. M. Modlin, M. C. Champaneria, A. K. C. Chan, and M. Kidd, “A three-decade analysis of 3,911 small intestinal neuroendocrine tumors: the rapid pace of no progress,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 1464–1473, 2007.
- I. M. Modlin, K. Oberg, D. C. Chung et al., “Gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumours,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2008.
- O. Hauso, B. I. Gustafsson, M. Kidd et al., “Neuroendocrine tumor epidemiology: contrasting Norway and North America,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2655–2664, 2008.
- I. M. Modlin, K. D. Lye, and M. Kidd, “A 5-decade analysis of 13,715 carcinoid tumors,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 934–959, 2003.
- J. C. Yao, M. Hassan, A. Phan et al., “One hundred years after “carcinoid”: epidemiology of and prognostic factors for neuroendocrine tumors in 35,825 cases in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3063–3072, 2008.
- J. K. Ramage, A. H. G. Davies, J. Ardill et al., “Guidelines for the management of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine (including carcinoid) tumours,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. iv1–iv16, 2005.
- R. Srirajaskanthan, D. Shanmugabavan, and J. K. Ramage, “Carcinoid syndrome,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 341, Article ID c3941, 2010.
- O. Nilsson, L. Kölby, B. Wängberg et al., “Comparative studies on the expression of somatostatin receptor subtypes, outcome of octreotide scintigraphy and response to octreotide treatment in patients with carcinoid tumours,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 632–637, 1998.
- I. Norheim, K. Oberg, and E. Theodorsson-Norheim, “Malignant carcinoid tumors. An analysis of 103 patients with regard to tumor localization, hormone production, and survival,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 115–125, 1987.
- G. Rindi, G. Klöppel, A. Couvelard et al., “TNM staging of midgut and hindgut (neuro) endocrine tumors: a consensus proposal including a grading system,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 451, no. 4, pp. 757–762, 2007.
- D. S. Bergestuen, L. Aabakken, K. Holm, M. Vatn, and E. Thiis-Evensen, “Small intestinal neuroendocrine tumors: prognostic factors and survival,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1084–1091, 2009.
- H. Jann, S. Roll, A. Couvelard et al., “Neuroendocrine tumors of midgut and hindgut origin: tumor-node-metastasis classification determines clinical outcome,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 15, pp. 3332–3341, 2011.
- A. Ahmed, G. Turner, B. King et al., “Midgut neuroendocrine tumours with liver metastases: results of the UKINETS study,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 885–894, 2009.
- T. Curran, S. Tulin-Silver, K. Patel, et al., “Prognostic clinicopathologic factors in longitudinally followed patients with metastatic small bowel carcinoid tumors,” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1253–1257, 2011.
- J. Strosberg, N. Gardner, and L. Kvols, “Survival and prognostic factor analysis of 146 metastatic neuroendocrine tumors of the mid-gut,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 471–476, 2009.
- G. Capurso, M. Rinzivillo, R. Bettini, L. Boninsegna, G. D. Fave, and M. Falconi, “Systematic review of resection of primary midgut carcinoid tumour in patients with unresectable liver metastases,” The British Journal of Surgery, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 1480–1486, 2012.
- J. K. Ramage, A. Ahmed, J. Ardill, et al., “Guidelines for the management of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine (including carcinoid) tumours (NETs),” Gut, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 6–32, 2012.
- U. F. Pape, H. Jann, J. Müller-Nordhorn et al., “Prognostic relevance of a novel TNM classification system for upper gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 256–265, 2008.
- A. P. Burke, R. M. Thomas, A. M. Elsayed, and L. H. Sobin, “Carcinoids of the jejunum and ileum: an immunohistochemical and clinicopathologic study of 167 cases,” Cancer, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 1086–1093, 1997.
- G. Rindi, W. W. de Herder, D. O'Toole, and B. Wiedenmann, “Consensus guidelines for the management of patients with digestive neuroendocrine tumors: why such guidelines and how we went about it,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 155–157, 2007.
- A. D. Amarapurkar, A. Davies, J. K. Ramage, A. J. Stangou, D. G. D. Wight, and B. C. Portmann, “Proliferation of antigen MIB-1 in metastatic carcinoid tumours removed at liver transplantation: relevance to prognosis,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 139–143, 2003.
- G. Rindi, C. Capella, and E. Solcia, “Introduction to a revised clinicopathological classification of neuroendocrine tumors of the gastroenteropancreatic tract,” Quarterly Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2000.
- O. Norlen, P. Stalberg, K. Oberg, et al., “Long-term results of surgery for small intestinal neuroendocrine tumors at a tertiary referral center,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1419–1431, 2012.
- S. Bhattacharyya, J. Davar, G. Dreyfus, and M. E. Caplin, “Carcinoid heart disease,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 24, pp. 2860–2865, 2007.
- D. S. Diaco, H. Hajarizadeh, C. R. Mueller, W. S. Fletcher, R. F. Pommier, and E. A. Woltering, “Treatment of metastatic carcinoid tumors using multimodality therapy of octreotide acetate, intra-arterial chemotherapy, and hepatic arterial chemoembolization,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 523–528, 1995.
- C. Durante, H. Boukheris, C. Dromain et al., “Prognostic factors influencing survival from metastatic (stage IV) gastroenteropancreatic well-differentiated endocrine carcinoma,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 585–597, 2009.
- K. Landerholm, N. Zar, R. E. Andersson, S. E. Falkmer, and J. Jrhult, “Survival and prognostic factors in patients with small bowel carcinoid tumour,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1617–1624, 2011.
- P. Hellman, T. Lundström, U. Öhrvall et al., “Effect of surgery on the outcome of midgut carcinoid disease with lymph node and liver metastases,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 991–997, 2002.
- D. A. Osborne, E. E. Zervos, J. Strosberg et al., “Improved outcome with cytoreduction versus embolization for symptomatic hepatic metastases of carcinoid and neuroendocrine tumors,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 572–581, 2006.
- J. M. Sarmiento, G. Heywood, J. Rubin, D. M. Ilstrup, D. M. Nagorney, and F. G. Que, “Surgical treatment of neuroendocrine metastases to the liver: a plea for resection to increase survival,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2003.
- R. Srirajaskanthan, C. Toumpanakis, T. Meyer, and M. E. Caplin, “Review article: future therapies for management of metastatic gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumours,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1143–1154, 2009.
- A. Saxena, T. C. Chua, J. Zhao, and D. L. Morris, “Liver-directed therapy for neuroendocrine neoplasm hepatic metastasis prolongs survival following progression after initial surgery,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 342–350, 2012.
- R. C. Le, C. Lombard-Bohas, C. Delmas, et al., “Relapse factors for ileal neuroendocrine tumours after curative surgery: a retrospective French multicentre study,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 828–833, 2011.