- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Public Health
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 497490, 5 pages
Biomedical Pollutants in the Urban Environment and Implications for Public Health: A Case Study
International Development Program, School of Environment, Enterprise and Development (SEED), Faculty of Environment, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
Received 13 March 2013; Accepted 8 April 2013
Academic Editors: J. Konde-Lule, M. H. Stigler, and R. Y. Wang
Copyright © 2013 Jeffrey N. T. Squire. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. L. Burke, “A survey of recent literature on medical waste,” Journal of Environmental Health, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 11–14, 1994.
- P. Klangsin and A. K. Harding, “Medical waste treatment and disposal methods used by hospitals in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 516–526, 1998.
- A. Pruss, E. Giroult, and P. Rushbrook, Eds., Safe Management of Wastes from Health-Care Activities, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1999.
- C. E. Purdom, P. A. Hardiman, V. J. Bye, N. C. Eno, C. R. Tyler, and J. R. Sumpter, “Estrogenic effects of effluents from sewage treatment works,” Chemical Ecology, vol. 8, pp. 275–285, 1994.
- C. G. Daughton and T. A. Ternes, “Pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the environment: agents of subtle change?” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 907–938, 1999.
- S. Jobling, M. Nolan, C. R. Tyler, G. Brighty, and J. P. Sumpter, “Widespread sexual disruption in wild fish,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 17, pp. 2498–2506, 1998.
- S. V. Manyele, “Effects of improper hospital-waste management on occupational health and safety,” African Newsletter on Occupational Health and Safety, vol. 14, pp. 30–33, 2004.
- B. Mbongwe, B. T. Mmereki, and A. Magashula, “Healthcare waste management: current practices in selected healthcare facilities, Botswana,” Waste Management, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 226–233, 2008.
- M. McLean, H. K. Watson, and A. Muswema, “Veterinary waste disposal: practice and policy in Durban, South Africa (2001–2003),” Waste Management, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 902–911, 2007.
- B. E. Bassey, M. O. Benka-Coker, and H. S. A. Aluyi, “Characterization and management of solid medical wastes in the federal capital territory, Abuja Nigeria,” African Health Sciences, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2006.
- M. M. Hassan, S. A. Ahmed, K. A. Rahman, and T. K. Biswas, “Pattern of medical waste management: existing scenario in Dhaka City, Bangladesh,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 36, 2008.
- R. R. A. M. Mato and G. R. Kassenga, “A study on problems of management of medical solid wastes in Dar es Salaam and their remedial measures,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 1997.
- A. Coker, A. Sangodoyin, M. Sridhar, C. Booth, P. Olomolaiye, and F. Hammond, “Medical waste management in Ibadan, Nigeria: obstacles and prospects,” Waste Management, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 804–811, 2009.
- S. Gupta and R. Boojh, “Report: biomedical waste management practices at Balrampur Hospital, Lucknow, India,” Waste Management and Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 584–591, 2006.
- R. Grant and P. Yankson, “Accra,” Cities, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2003.
- M. Bakoǧlu, A. Karademir, and S. Ayberk, “An evaluation of the occupational health risks to workers in a hazardous waste incinerator,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 156–164, 2004.
- Y. A. Levendis, A. Atal, J. B. Carlson, and M. Del Mar Esperanza Quintana, “Pah and soot emissions from burning components of medical waste: examination/surgical gloves and cotton pads,” Chemosphere, vol. 42, no. 5–7, pp. 775–783, 2001.
- E. Enger and B. Smith, Environmental Science: A Study of Interrelationships, McGraw Hillninth, 2004.
- R. Ryder, ““Sustainable” incineration and death by dioxin,” The Ecologist, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 135–136, 1997.
- O. L. Lloyd, M. M. Lloyd, F. L. R. Williams, and A. Lawson, “Twinning in human populations and in cattle exposed to air pollution from incinerators,” British Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 556–560, 1988.