- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 512527, 8 pages
Immunophenotypic Analysis of B Lymphocytes in Patients with Common Variable Immunodeficiency: Identification of CD23 as a Useful Marker in the Definition of the Disease
1Department of Medicine, Unit of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, University of Verona, 37134 Verona, Italy
2Department of Pathology and Diagnosis, Section of Immunology, University of Verona, 37134 Verona, Italy
3Institute G. Gaslini and Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Genova, 16132 Genova, Italy
Received 20 February 2013; Accepted 17 March 2013
Academic Editors: C. M. Artlett, E. K. Kapsogeorgou, and B. E. Palmer
Copyright © 2013 Giuseppe Patuzzo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Park, J. T. Li, J. B. Hagan, D. E. Maddox, and R. S. Abraham, “Common variable immunodeficiency: a new look at an old disease,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9637, pp. 489–502, 2008.
- J. H. Park, E. S. Resnick, and C. Cunningham-Rundles, “Perspectives on common variable immune deficiency,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1246, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2011.
- P. F. K. Yong, J. E. D. Thaventhiran, and B. Grimbacher, “‘A rose is a rose is a rose,’ but CVID is Not CVID common variable immune deficiency (CVID), what do we know in 2011?” Advances in Immunology, vol. 111, pp. 47–107, 2011.
- O. Kopecký and Š. Lukešová, “Genetic defects in common variable immunodeficiency,” International Journal of Immunogenetics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 225–229, 2007.
- S. Goldacker and K. Warnatz, “Tackling the heterogeneity of CVID,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 504–509, 2005.
- C. Bacchelli, S. Buckridge, A. J. Thrasher, and H. B. Gaspar, “Translational Mini-Review Series on Immunodeficiency: molecular defects in common variable immunodeficiency,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 149, no. 3, pp. 401–409, 2007.
- J. Pons, J. M. Ferrer, N. Martínez-Pomar, J. Iglesias-Alzueta, and N. Matamoros, “Costimulatory molecules and cytokine production by T lymphocytes in common variable immunodeficiency disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 383–389, 2006.
- J. S. Jaffe, E. Eisenstein, M. C. Sneller et al., “T-cell abnormalities in common variable immunodeficiency,” Pediatric Research, vol. 33, no. 1, supplement, pp. S24–S28, 1993.
- A. Giovannetti, M. Pierdominici, F. Mazzetta et al., “Unravelling the complexity of T cell abnormalities in common variable immunodeficiency,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 6, pp. 3932–3943, 2007.
- A. Giovannetti, M. Pierdominici, and F. Aiuti, “T-cell homeostasis: the dark(ened) side of common variable immunodeficiency,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 2, p. 446, 2008.
- S. F. Gonzalez, S. E. Degn, and L. A. Pitcher, “Trafficking of B cell antigen in lymph nodes,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 29, pp. 215–233, 2011.
- M. Shapiro-Shelef and K. C. Calame, “Regulation of plasma-cell development,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 230–242, 2005.
- J. Y. Bonnefoy, S. Lecoanet-Henchoz, J. P. Aubry, J. F. Gauchat, and P. Graber, “CD23 and B-cell activation,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 355–359, 1995.
- U. Klein, R. Küppers, and K. Rajewsky, “Evidence for a large compartment of IgM-expressing memory B cells in humans,” Blood, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 1288–1298, 1997.
- S. G. Tangye and K. L. Good, “Human IgM+CD27+B cells: memory B cells or “memory” B cells?” Journal of Immunology, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2007.
- K. Warnatz, A. Denz, R. Dräger et al., “Severe deficiency of switched memory B cells (CD27+IgM-IgD-) in subgroups of patients with common variable immunodeficiency: a new approach to classify a heterogeneous disease,” Blood, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1544–1551, 2002.
- B. Piqueras, C. Lavenu-Bombled, L. Galicier et al., “Common variable immunodeficiency patient classification based on impaired B cell memory differentiation correlates with clinical aspects,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 385–400, 2003.
- C. Wehr, T. Kivioja, C. Schmitt et al., “The EUROclass trial: defining subgroups in common variable immunodeficiency,” Blood, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2008.
- N. Taubenheim, M. Von Hornung, A. Durandy et al., “Defined blocks in terminal plasma cell differentiation of common variable immunodeficiency patients,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, pp. 5498–5503, 2005.
- M. E. Conley, L. D. Notarangelo, and A. Etzioni, “Diagnostic criteria for primary immunodeficiencies. Representing PAGID (Pan-American Group for Immunodeficiency) and ESID (European Society for Immunodeficiencies),” Clinical Immunology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 190–197, 1999.
- D. Veneri, R. Ortolani, M. Franchini, G. Tridente, G. Pizzolo, and A. Vella, “Expression of CD27 and CD23 on peripheral blood B lymphocytes in humans of different ages,” Blood Transfusion, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2009.
- R. H. J. Verstegen, M. A. A. Kusters, E. F. A. Gemen, and E. De Vries, “Down syndrome B-lymphocyte subpopulations, intrinsic defect or decreased T-lymphocyte help,” Pediatric Research, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 563–569, 2010.
- H. J. Gould, R. Reljic, and J. Shi, IgE Homeostasis: Is CD23 the Safety Switch? IgE Regulation: Molecular Mechanisms, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- M. Seifert and R. Küppers, “Molecular footprints of a germinal center derivation of human IgM+(IgD+)CD27+B cells and the dynamics of memory B cell generation,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 206, no. 12, pp. 2659–2669, 2009.
- F. Martin and J. F. Kearney, “Marginal-zone B cells,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, pp. 323–335, 2002.