- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 541762, 6 pages
Fabrication of Hybrid Surface Composite through Friction Stir Processing and Its Impression Creep Behaviour
Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Karnataka 575025, India
Received 1 July 2013; Accepted 24 July 2013
Academic Editors: K. Hokamoto and E. J. Nassar
Copyright © 2013 S. Prakrathi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Smallman and R. J. Bishop, Modern Physical Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Butterworth Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 1999.
- T. P. D. Rajan, R. M. Pillai, and B. C. Pai, “Functionally graded Al-Al3Ni in situ intermetallic composites: fabrication and microstructural characterization,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 453, no. 1-2, pp. L4–L7, 2008.
- R. S. Mishra and Z. Y. Ma, “Friction stir welding and processing,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 1–78, 2005.
- D. Yadav and R. Bauri, “Nickel particle embedded aluminium matrix composite with high ductility,” Materials Letters, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 664–667, 2010.
- H. S. Arora, H. Singh, and B. K. Dindaw, “Composite fabrication using friction stir processing—a review,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 61, no. 9–12, pp. 1043–1055, 2012.
- R. S. Mishra, Z. Y. Ma, and I. Charit, “Friction stir processing: a novel technique for fabrication of surface composite,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 341, no. 1-2, pp. 307–310, 2003.
- A. Shafiei-Zarghani, S. F. Kashani-Bozorg, and A. Zarei-Hanzaki, “Microstructures and mechanical properties of Al/Al2O3 surface nano-composite layer produced by friction stir processing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 500, no. 1-2, pp. 84–91, 2009.
- E. R. I. Mahmoud, K. Ikeuchi, and M. Takahashi, “Fabrication of SiC particle reinforced composite on aluminium surface by friction stir processing,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 607–618, 2008.
- Z. Y. Ma and R. S. Mishra, “Cavitation in superplastic 7075 Al alloys prepared via friction stir processing,” Acta Materialia, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3551–3569, 2003.
- A. Dolatkhah, P. Golbabaei, M. K. Besharati Givi, and F. Molaiekiya, “Investigating effects of process parameters on microstructural and mechanical properties of Al5052/SiC metal matrix composite fabricated via friction stir processing,” Materials and Design, vol. 37, pp. 458–464, 2012.
- I. S. Lee, P. W. Kao, and N. J. Ho, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-Fe in situ nanocomposite produced by friction stir processing,” Intermetallics, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1104–1108, 2008.
- C. J. Hsu, P. W. Kao, and N. J. Ho, “Intermetallic-reinforced aluminum matrix composites produced in situ by friction stir processing,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1315–1318, 2007.
- D. Yadav and R. Bauri, “Processing, microstructure and mechanical properties of nickel particles embedded aluminium matrix composite,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 528, no. 3, pp. 1326–1333, 2011.
- L. Ke, C. Huang, L. Xing, and K. Huang, “Al-Ni intermetallic composites produced in situ by friction stir processing,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 503, no. 2, pp. 494–499, 2010.
- J. Qian, J. Li, J. Xiong, F. Zhang, and X. Lin, “Insitu synthesizing Al3Ni for fabrication of intermetallic reinforced aluminium alloy composites by friction stir processing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 550, pp. 279–285, 2012.
- D. H. Sastry, “Impression creep technique—an overview,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 409, no. 1-2, pp. 67–75, 2005.
- R. A. Higgins, Engineering Metallurgy, Arnold Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 1993.
- H. Baker and H. Okamoto, ASM Handbook, vol. 3 of Alloy Phase Diagrams, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 1992.
- M. Atapour, A. Pilchak, G. S. Frankel, and J. C. Williams, “Corrosion behaviour of investment cast and friction stir processed Ti-6Al-4V,” Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 3062–3069, 2010.
- C. W. Yang, “Tensile mechanical properties and failure behaviors of friction stir processing (FSP) modified Mg-Al-Zn and dual-phase Mg-Li-Al-Zn alloys,” in Materials Science: Advanced Topics, Y. Mastai, Ed., InTech, 2013.
- C.-F. Chen, P.-W. Kao, L. Chang, and N.-J. Ho, “Mechanical properties of nanometric Al2O3 particulate-reinforced Al-Al11Ce3 composites produced by friction stir processing,” Materials Transactions, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 933–938, 2010.
- H. Sieber, J. S. Park, J. Weissmüller, and J. H. Perepezko, “Structural evolution and phase formation in cold-rolled aluminum-nickel multilayers,” Acta Materialia, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1139–1151, 2001.
- F. A. Mohamed and T. G. Langdon, “Deformation mechanism maps based on grain size,” Metallurgical Transactions, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 2339–2345, 1974.
- Y. Li and T. G. Langdon, “Creep behavior of an Al-6061 metal matrix composite reinforced with alumina particulates,” Acta Materialia, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 4797–4806, 1997.
- H. Takagi, M. Dao, M. Fujiwara, and M. Otsuka, “Experimental and computational creep characterization of Al-Mg solid-solution alloy through instrumented indentation,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 83, no. 35, pp. 3959–3976, 2003.
- O. D. Sherbi and J. Wordsworth, “Deformation processing and structure,” in ASM Handbook, chapter 8, American Society for Metals, Metal Park, Ohio, USA, 1984.