- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 584672, 5 pages
Impact of Real-Time Elastography versus Systematic Prostate Biopsy Method on Cancer Detection Rate in Men with a Serum Prostate-Specific Antigen between 2.5 and 10 ng/mL
1Department of Urology, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy
2Service of Echography, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy
3Department of Pathology, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy
4Service of Statistics, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy
5Laboratory of Molecular Gastroenterology, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 24 December 2012
Academic Editors: L.-M. Sun and K. van Golen
Copyright © 2013 Gianluigi Taverna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- G. Aus, C. C. Abbou, M. Bolla et al., “EAU guidelines on prostate cancer,” European Urology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 546–551, 2005.
- P. T. Scardino, R. Weaver, and M. A. Hudson, “Early detection of prostate cancer,” Human Pathology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 211–222, 1992.
- G. Taverna, L. Benecchi, F. Grizzi, et al., “Can a gleason 6 or less microfocus of prostate cancer in one biopsy and prostate-specific antigen level ng/mL be defined as the archetype of low-risk prostate disease?” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2012, Article ID 645146, 6 pages, 2012.
- F. H. Schröder, H. B. Carter, T. Wolters et al., “Early detection of prostate cancer in 2007. Part 1: PSA and PSA kinetics,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 468–477, 2008.
- G. Salomon, J. Köllerman, I. Thederan et al., “Evaluation of prostate cancer detection with ultrasound real-time elastography: a comparison with step section pathological analysis after radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1354–1362, 2008.
- J. Walz, M. Marcy, T. Maubon, et al., “Real time elastography in the diagnosis of prostate cancer: comparison of preoperative imaging and histology after radical prostatectomy,” Progres En Urologie, vol. 21, pp. 925–931, 2011.
- B. S. Garra, “Elastography: current status, future prospects, and making it work for you,” Ultrasound Quarterly, vol. 27, pp. 177–186, 2011.
- A. Kapoor, G. Mahajan, B. S. Sidhu, and A. Kapoor, “Real-time elastography in the detection of prostate cancer in patients with raised PSA level,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1374–1381, 2011.
- T. Loch, “Prostate cancer diagnostics: innovative imaging in case of multiple negative biopsies,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 29, pp. 607–614, 2011.
- T. A. Krouskop, T. M. Wheeler, F. Kallel, B. S. Garra, and T. Hall, “Elastic moduli of breast and prostate tissues under compression,” Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 260–274, 1998.
- M. Tsutsumi, T. Miyagawa, T. Matsumura et al., “The impact of real-time tissue elasticity imaging (elastography) on the detection of prostate cancer: clinicopathological analysis,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 250–255, 2007.
- M. Brock, C. von Bodman, F. Sommerer, et al., “Comparison of real-time elastography with grey-scale ultrasonography for detection of organ-confined prostate cancer and extra capsular extension: a prospective analysis using whole mount sections after radical prostatectomy,” BJU International, vol. 108, pp. E217–E222, 2011.
- M. Tsutsumi, T. Miyagawa, T. Matsumura et al., “Real-time balloon inflation elastography for prostate cancer detection and initial evaluation of clinicopathologic analysis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 194, no. 6, pp. W471–W476, 2010.
- M. Seitz, F. Strittmatter, A. Roosen, D. Tilki, and C. Gratzke, “Current status of ultrasound imaging in prostate cancer,” Panminerva Medica, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 189–194, 2010.
- V. Scattoni, C. MacCagnano, G. Zanni et al., “Is extended and saturation biopsy necessary?: review article,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 432–447, 2010.
- E. D. Nelson, C. B. Slotoroff, L. G. Gomella, and E. J. Halpern, “Targeted biopsy of the prostate: the impact of color doppler imaging and elastography on prostate cancer detection and gleason score,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1136–1140, 2007.
- F. Aigner, L. Pallwein, D. Junker et al., “Value of real-time elastography targeted biopsy for prostate cancer detection in men with prostate specific antigen 1.25 ng/ml or greater and 4.00 ng/ml or less,” Journal of Urology, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 913–917, 2010.
- T. Eggert, W. Khaled, S. Wenske, H. Ermert, and J. Noldus, “Impact of elastography in clinical diagnosis of prostate cancer: a comparison of cancer detection between B-mode sonography and elastography-guided 10-core biopsies,” Urologe, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1212–1217, 2008.
- K. König, U. Scheipers, A. Pesavento, A. Lorenz, H. Ermert, and T. Senge, “Initial experiences with real-time elastography guided biopsies of the prostate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 115–117, 2005.
- T. R. Fleming, “One-sample multiple testing procedure for phase II clinical trials,” Biometrics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 143–151, 1982.
- Y. Zhang, J. Tang, Y. M. Li, et al., “Differentiation of prostate cancer from benign lesions using strain index of transrectal real-time tissue elastography,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 857–862, 2012.
- M. Brock, C. von Bodman, R. J. Palisaar, et al., “The impact of real-time elastography guiding a systematic prostate biopsy to improve cancer detection rate: a prospective study of 353 patients,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 187, pp. 2039–2043, 2012.
- G. Taverna, G. Morandi, M. Seveso, et al., “Colour Doppler and microbubble contrast agent ultrasonography do not improve cancer detection rate in transrectal systematic prostate biopsy sampling,” BJU International, vol. 108, pp. 1723–1727, 2011.
- D. T. Ginat, S. V. Destounis, R. G. Barr, B. Castaneda, J. G. Strang, and D. J. Rubens, “US elastography of breast and prostate lesions,” Radiographics, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 2007–2016, 2009.
- S. Candefjord, K. Ramser, and O. A. Lindahl, “Technologies for localization and diagnosis of prostate cancer,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 585–603, 2009.
- L. Pallwein, F. Aigner, R. Faschingbauer et al., “Prostate cancer diagnosis: value of real-time elastography,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 729–735, 2008.