- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 589807, 4 pages
Aspirin Use in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients with Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Rheumatology Department, Geisinger Medical Center, 100 North Academy Avenue, Danville, PA 17821, USA
Received 19 August 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editors: H. Bodur and S. Verstappen
Copyright © 2013 Jonida K. Cote and Androniki Bili. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Aviña-Zubieta, H. K. Choi, M. Sadatsafavi, M. Etminan, J. M. Esdaile, and D. Lacaille, “Risk of cardiovascular mortality in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis of observational studies,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1690–1697, 2008.
- I. D. del Rincon, K. Williams, M. P. Stern, G. L. Freeman, and A. Escalante, “High incidence of cardiovascular events in a rheumatoid arthritis cohort not explained by traditional cardiac risk factors,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2737–2745, 2001.
- M. C. M. Wasko, “Rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular disease,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 390–397, 2008.
- H. R. Kramer and J. T. Giles, “Cardiovascular disease risk in rheumatoid arthritis: progress, debate, and opportunity,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 484–499, 2011.
- I. del Rincón, G. L. Freeman, R. W. Haas, D. H. O'Leary, and A. Escalante, “Relative contribution of cardiovascular risk factors and rheumatoid arthritis clinical manifestations to atherosclerosis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 3413–3423, 2005.
- D. H. Solomon, E. W. Karlson, E. B. Rimm et al., “Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in women diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 1303–1307, 2003.
- S. C. Romero, K. M. Dela Rosa, and P. E. Linz, “Aspirin for primary prevention of coronary heart disease: using the Framingham Risk Score to improve utilization in a primary care clinic,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 725–729, 2008.
- D. L. Scott, F. Wolfe, and T. W. J. Huizinga, “Rheumatoid arthritis,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9746, pp. 1094–1108, 2010.
- J. S. Berger, M. C. Roncaglioni, F. Avanzini, I. Pangrazzi, G. Tognoni, and D. L. Brown, “Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events in women and men: a sex-specific meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 3, pp. 306–313, 2006.
- N. Raju, M. Sobieraj-Teague, J. Hirsh, M. O'Donnell, and J. Eikelboom, “Effect of aspirin on mortality in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 124, no. 7, pp. 621–629, 2011.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, “Aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 396–404, 2009.
- C. P. Chung, A. Oeser, P. Raggi et al., “Increased coronary-artery atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis: relationship to disease duration and cardiovascular risk factors,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 3045–3053, 2005.
- M. J. L. Peters, D. P. M. Symmons, D. McCarey et al., “EULAR evidence-based recommendations for cardiovascular risk management in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of inflammatory arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 2010.
- D. Aletaha, T. Neogi, A. J. Silman, et al., “2010 Rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 2569–2581, 2010.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- E. Myasoedova, E. L. Matteson, N. J. Talley, and C. S. Crowson, “Increased incidence and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal events in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Olmsted County, Minnesota: a longitudinal population-based study,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1355–1362, 2012.
- K. Michaud and F. Wolfe, “Comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 885–906, 2007.
- F. Catella-Lawson, M. P. Reilly, S. C. Kapoor et al., “Cyclooxygenase inhibitors and the antiplatelet effects of aspirin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 25, pp. 1809–1817, 2001.