- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 598589, 5 pages
The Effect of Ageing on Nasal Mucociliary Clearance in Women: A Pilot Study
1Department of Physiology, Tagore Medical College, Chennai 600 127, India
2Department of Physiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai 600 116, India
Received 26 January 2013; Accepted 6 March 2013
Academic Editors: A. Celi, A. Comellas, T. J. Kelley, and A. S. Melani
Copyright © 2013 Preetha Paul et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Antonini, J. R. Roberts, R. W. Clarke et al., “Effect of age on respiratory defense mechanisms: pulmonary bacterial clearance in Fischer 344 rats after intratracheal instillation of Listeria monocytogenes,” Chest, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 240–249, 2001.
- M. A. Mall, “Role of cilia, mucus, and airway surface liquid in mucociliary dysfunction: lessons from mouse models,” Journal of Serosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2008.
- S. E. Houtmeyers, R. Gosselink, G. Gayan-Ramirez, and M. Decramer, “Regulation of mucociliary clearance in health and disease,” The European Respiratory Journal, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1177–1188, 1999.
- N. A. Cohen, “Sinonasal mucociliary clearance in health and disease,” The Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology. Supplement, vol. 196, pp. 20–26, 2006.
- J. Yadav, A. Verma, and K. B. Gupta, “Mucociliary clearance in Bronchial Asthma,” Indian Journal of Allergy, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 21–23, 2005.
- J. Rutland, W. M. Griffin, and P. J. Cole, “Human ciliary beat frequency in epithelium from intrathoracic and extrathoracic airways,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 1982.
- A. B. Millar, J. E. Agnew, S. P. Newman, M. T. Lopez-Vidriero, D. Pavia, and S. W. Clarke, “Comparison of nasal and tracheobronchial clearance by similar techniques in normal subjects,” Thorax, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 783–786, 1986.
- Y. Li, S. J. Swensen, L. G. Karabekmez, et al., “Effect of emphysema on lung cancer risk in smokers: a computed tomography-based assessment,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2011.
- R. Bascom, J. Kesavanathan, T. K. Fitzgerald, K. H. Cheng, and D. L. Swift, “Sidestream tobacco smoke exposure acutely alters human nasal mucociliary clearance,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 1026–1030, 1995.
- J. C. Ho, K. N. Chan, W. H. Hu et al., “The effect of aging on nasal mucociliary clearance, beat frequency, and ultrastructure of respiratory cilia,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 983–988, 2001.
- D. R. Sell, M. A. Lane, W. A. Johnson et al., “Longevity and the genetic determination of collagen glycoxidation kinetics in mammalian senescence,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 485–490, 1996.
- A. C. P. Elder, R. Gelein, J. N. Finkclstein, C. Cox, and G. Oberdörster, “Endotoxin priming affects the lung response to ultrafine particles and ozone in young and old rats,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 85–98, 2000.
- J. Yadav, A. Verma, and J. Singh, “Study on nasal mucus clearance in patients of perennial allergic rhinitis,” Indian Journal of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 17, pp. 89–91, 2003.
- S. Golhar, “Nasal mucus clearance,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 533–538, 1986.
- S. Golhar and M. M. L. Arora, “The effect of cryodestruction of Vidian nasal branches on nasal mucus flow in vasomotor rhinitis,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 12–14, 1981.
- J. Priscilla, R. Padmavathi, S. Ghosh et al., “Evaluation of mucociliary clearance among women using biomass and clean fuel in a periurban area of Chennai: a preliminary study,” Lung India, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 30–33, 2011.
- P. Plaza Valía, F. C. Valero, J. M. Pardo, D. B. Rentero, and C. G. Monte, “Saccharin test for the study of mucociliary clearance: reference values for a Spanish population,” Archivos de Bronconeumologia, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 540–545, 2008.