- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 603973, 8 pages
John Nyman and the Economics of Health Care Moral Hazard
11500 Sawyer Avenue, Manasquan, NJ 08736, USA
2CBHSQ, SAMHSA, US Department of Health and Human Services, 1 Choke Cherry Road, Rockville, MD 20050, USA
Received 30 September 2012; Accepted 5 December 2012
Academic Editors: M. J. Larson, I. Shoji, and J. Zarnikau
Copyright © 2013 Sander Kelman and Albert Woodward. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. F. Anderson and B. K. Frogner, “Health spending in OECD countries: obtaining value per dollar,” Health Affairs, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1718–1727, 2008.
- J. A. Nyman, The Theory of Demand for Health Insurance, Stanford University Press, Stanford, Calif, USA, 2003.
- R. Feldman and M. A. Morrisey, “Health economics: a report on the field,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 627–646, 1990.
- V. R. Fuchs, “Economics, values, and health care reform,” American Economic Review, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 1996.
- K. J. Arrow, “Uncertainty and the welfare economics of medical care,” American Economic Review, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 941–973, 1963.
- R. A. Musgrave and P. B. Musgrave, Public Finance in Theory and Practice, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 1989.
- M. V. Pauly, “The economics of moral hazard: comment,” American Economic Review, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 531–537, 1968.
- M. Pauly, “More on moral hazard,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 1983.
- M. S. Feldstein, “The welfare loss of excess health insurance,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 251–280, 1973.
- S. Folland, A. C. Goodman, and M. Stano, The Economics of Health and Health Care, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- J. A. Nyman, “American health policy: cracks in the foundation,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 759–783, 2007.
- P. J. Feldstein, Health Care Economics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1988.
- J. A. Nyman, “The economics of moral hazard revisited,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 811–824, 1999.
- R. Zeckhauser, “Medical insurance: a case study of the tradeoff between risk spreading and appropriate incentives,” Journal of Economic Theory, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 10–26, 1970.
- D. Kahneman and A. Tversky, Eds., Choices, Values, and Frames, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2000.
- D. Kahneman and A. Tversky, “Prospect theory: an analysis of decision under risk,” Econometrica, vol. 47, pp. 263–291, 1979.
- D. Bernoulli, “Exposition of a new theory on the measurement of risk,” Econometrica, vol. 22, pp. 23–36, 1954, Translated by Louise Sommer.
- M. Friedman and L. J. Savage, “The utility analysis of choices involving risk,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 279–304, 1948.
- M. Friedman, The Theory of the Consumption Function, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1957.
- W. J. Boyes, “The theory of demand for health insurance,” Inquiry, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 106–107, 2004, Review of J. Nyman.
- R. Hirth, “The theory of demand for health insurance,” Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 42, pp. 188–189, 2004, Review of J. Nyman.
- J. G. Eisenhauer, “The theory of demand for health insurance: a review essay,” Journal of Insurance Issues, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 71–87, 2006.
- M. Grignon, “The theory of demand for health insurance,” The Journal of Risk and Insurance, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 184–190, 2005, Review of Nyman.
- M. Gladwell, “The moral hazard myth,” The New Yorker, vol. 81, no. 25, p. 44, 2005.
- D. Stone, “Behind the Jargon moral hazard,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 887–896, 2011.
- J. P. Geyman, “Moral hazard and consumer-driven health care: a fundamentally flawed concept,” International Journal of Health Services, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 333–351, 2007.
- A. Blomqvist, “Does the economics of moral hazard need to be revisited? A comment on the paper by John Nyman,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 283–288, 2001.
- L. J. Bates, K. Mukherjee, and R. E. Santerre, “Medical insurance coverage and health production efficiency,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 211–229, 2010.
- R. Chetty, “Moral hazard versus liquidity and optimal unemployment insurance,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 173–234, 2008.
- M. V. Pauly, “Health reform without side effects: making markets work for individual health insurance,” American Enterprise Institute Book Forum, Washington, DC, USA, 2010, http://www.aei.org.
- M. A. Peterson, “Special issue: Kenneth arrow and the changing economics of health,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 823–828, 2001.
- S. Keen, Method, Debunking Economics, chapter 7, Pluto Press, 2001.
- T. S. Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolution, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1963.