- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 604132, 9 pages
The Design of UV Absorbing Systems for Horticultural Applications
1School of Chemistry Food Science and Pharmacy, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AD, UK
2School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AD, UK
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editors: I. Imae, M. Miritello, A. O. Neto, and D. Sands
Copyright © 2013 V. Mahendra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Van Haeringen, J. S. West, F. J. Davis et al., “The development of solid spectral filters for the regulation of plant growth,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 407–413, 1998.
- N. C. Rajapakse and S. Li, “Exclusion of far red light reduces stem elongation of vegetable seedlings,” Acta Horticulturae, vol. 631, pp. 193–199, 2004.
- N. C. Rajapakse, R. E. Young, M. J. McMahon, and R. Oi, “Plant height control by photoselective filters: current status and future prospects,” HortTechnology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 618–624, 1999.
- J. M. Fletcher, A. Tatsiopoulou, M. Mpezamihigo, J. G. Carew, R. G. C. Henbest, and P. Hadley, “Far-red light filtering by plastic film, greenhouse-cladding materials: effects on growth and flowering in Petunia and Impatiens,” Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 303–306, 2005.
- D. Doukas and C. C. Payne, “Greenhouse whitefly (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) dispersal under different UV-light environments,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 389–397, 2007.
- E. Tsormpatsidis, R. G. C. Henbest, F. J. Davis, N. H. Battey, P. Hadley, and A. Wagstaffe, “UV irradiance as a major influence on growth, development and secondary products of commercial importance in Lollo Rosso lettuce ‘Revolution’ grown under polyethylene films,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 63, no. 1–3, pp. 232–239, 2008.
- J. S. West, S. Pearson, P. Hadley et al., “Spectral filters for the control of Botrytis cinerea,” Annals of Applied Biology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 2000.
- J. R. Darwent, P. Douglas, A. Harriman, G. Porter, and M.-C. Richoux, “Metal phthalocyanines and porphyrins as photosensitizers for reduction of water to hydrogen,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 83–126, 1982.
- A. K. Sobbi, D. Wöhrie, and D. Schlettwein, “Photochemical stability of various porphyrins in solution and as thin film electrodes,” Journal of the Chemical Society, no. 3, pp. 481–488, 1993.
- H. Cho and R. G. Harvey, “Synthesis of mono- and bis(trimethylsilyl)anthracenes,” The Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 21, p. 3097, 1975.
- R. M. G. Roberts, “Structure and dehydrogenation of silylated dihydroanthracenes. A new route to 9- and 9,10-silylated anthracenes,” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 281–289, 1976.
- H. Lehmkuhl, K. Mehler, R. Benn, et al., “Magnesium-μ-(9,10-dihydro-9,10-anthrylen)-aluminate; Komplexe des “Anthracenmagnesiums”,” Chemische Berichte, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 389–403, 1984.
- H. Lehmkuhl, A. Shakoor, K. Mehler, et al., “[9,10-Dihydro-9,10-bis(trimethylsilyl)-9,10-anthrylen]magnesium; Molekülstruktur eines “Anthracenmagnesiums”,” Chemische Berichte, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 4239–4247, 1985.
- T. Alonso, S. Harvey, P. C. Junk, C. L. Raston, B. W. Skelton, and A. H. White, “Main group-conjugated organic anion chemistry. 1. Synthesis of magnesium anthracene, silylated anthracenes, or fluoranthene tetrahydrofuran and tertiary amine complexes and of magnesium cyclooctatetraene: x-ray structure of [MgL(TMEDA)].cntdot.[MgL(THF)2] (L = 9,10-bis(trimethylsilyl)anthracene),” Organometallics, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 2110–2116, 1987.
- S. Kyushin, M. Ikarugi, M. Goto, H. Hiratsuka, and H. Matsumoto, “Synthesis and electronic properties of 9,10-disilylanthracenes,” Organometallics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1067–1070, 1996.
- T. Karatsu, R. Hazuku, M. Asuke et al., “Blue electroluminescence of silyl substituted anthracene derivatives,” Organic Electronics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 357–366, 2007.
- D. F. Eaton, “Reference materials for fluorescence measurement,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 17, pp. 1107–1114, 1988.
- S. Hirayama, R. A. Lambert, and D. Phillips, “Photophysics of meso-substituted anthracenes. Part 1.-solutions and isolated vapours,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, vol. 281, pp. 371–382, 1985.
- A. Gilbert and J. Baggot, Essentials of Molecular Photochemistry, Blackwell scientific publications, London, UK, 1991.
- J. Fritzsche, “Ueber die festen kohlenwasserstoffe des steinkohlentheers,” Journal für Praktische Chemie, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 333–343, 1867.
- C. Ouannes and T. Wilson, “Quenching of singlet oxygen by tertiary aliphatic amines. Effect of DABCO (1,4-diazabicyclo[2.2.2]octane),” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 90, no. 23, pp. 6527–6528, 1968.
- S. Grimme, S. D. Peyerimhoff, H. Bouas-Laurent et al., “Calorimetric and quantum chemical studies of some photodimers of anthracenes,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 1, no. 10, pp. 2457–2462, 1999.
- H. Bouas-Laurent, A. Castellan, and J. P. Desvergne, “From anthracene photodimerization to jaw photochromic materials and photocrowns,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 52, pp. 2633–2648, 1980.
- D. D. Perrin and W. L. F. Armarego, Purification of Laboratory Chemicals, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 3rd edition, 1988.
- M. Casey, J. Leonard, B. Lygo, and G. Procter, Advanced Practical Organic Chemistry, Blackie, London, UK, 1990.