- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 627249, 4 pages
Frequent DNA Hypermethylation at the RASSF1A and APC Gene Loci in Prostate Cancer Patients of Pakistani Origin
1College of Medicine, Alfaisal University, Al Mather Street, Takhassusi Road, Riyadh 11533, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Biology, Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore 54792, Pakistan
3Department of Microbiology and Pathology, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
4Medical College, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
5Department of Surgery, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Received 13 December 2012; Accepted 13 January 2013
Academic Editors: A. Papatsoris and K. H. Tsui
Copyright © 2013 Ahmed Yaqinuddin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Bird, “CpG-rich islands and the function of DNA methylation,” Nature, vol. 321, no. 6067, pp. 209–213, 1986.
- M. Esteller, “CpG island hypermethylation and tumor suppressor genes: a booming present, a brighter future,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 35, pp. 5427–5440, 2002.
- R. Maruyama, S. Toyooka, K. O. Toyooka et al., “Aberrant promoter methylation profile of prostate cancers and its relationship to clinicopathological features,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 514–519, 2002.
- P. J. Bastian, M. Nakayama, A. M. De Marzo, and W. G. Nelson, “GSTP1 CpG island hypermethylation as a molecular marker in the carcinogenesis of prostate cancer,” Urologe A, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 573–579, 2004.
- M. Esteller, P. G. Corn, S. B. Baylin, and J. G. Herman, “A gene hypermethylation profile of human cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3225–3229, 2001.
- P. A. Jones and S. B. Baylin, “The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancer,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 415–428, 2002.
- A. de la Taille, P. Antiphon, L. Salomon et al., “Prospective evaluation of a 21-sample needle biopsy procedure designed to improve the prostate cancer detection rate,” Urology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1181–1186, 2003.
- I. M. Thompson, D. K. Pauler, P. J. Goodman et al., “Prevalence of prostate cancer among men with a prostate-specific antigen level ≤4.0 ng per milliliter,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 22, pp. 2239–2321, 2004.
- C. Jerónimo, R. Henrique, M. O. Hoque et al., “A quantitative promoter methylation profile of prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 24, pp. 8472–8478, 2004.
- N. Konishi, M. Nakamura, M. Kishi, M. Nishimine, E. Ishida, and K. Shimada, “DNA hypermethylation status of multiple genes in prostate adenocarcinomas,” Japanese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 767–773, 2002.
- L. Liu, J. H. Yoon, R. Dammann, and G. P. Pfeifer, “Frequent hypermethylation of the RASSF1A gene in prostate cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 44, pp. 6835–6840, 2002.
- S. Yegnasubramanian, J. Kowalski, M. L. Gonzalgo et al., “Hypermethylation of CpG islands in primary and metastatic human prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1975–1986, 2004.
- S. V. Harden, Z. Guo, J. I. Epstein, and D. Sidransky, “Quantitative GSTP1 methylation clearly distinguishes benign prostatic tissue and limited prostate adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 1138–1142, 2003.
- M. Nakayama, M. L. Gonzalgo, S. Yegnasubramanian, X. Lin, A. M. De Marzo, and W. G. Nelson, “GSTP1 CpG island hypermethylation as a molecular biomarker for prostate cancer,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 540–552, 2004.
- A. Yaqinuddin, S. A. Qureshi, R. Qazi, and F. Abbas, “Down-regulation of DNMT3b in PC3 cells effects locus-specific DNA methylation, and represses cellular growth and migration,” Cancer Cell International, vol. 8, article no. 13, 2008.
- P. J. Bastian, J. Ellinger, A. Wellmann et al., “Diagnostic and prognostic information in prostate cancer with the help of a small set of hypermethylated gene loci,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 4097–4106, 2005.
- G. H. Kang, S. Lee, H. J. Lee, and K. S. Hwang, “Aberrant CpG island hypermethylation of multiple genes in prostate cancer and prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 233–240, 2004.
- P. J. Bastian, G. S. Palapattu, X. Lin et al., “Preoperative serum DNA GSTP1 CpG island hypermethylation and the risk of early prostate-specific antigen recurrence following radical prostatectomy,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 4037–4043, 2005.
- H. Enokida, H. Shiina, S. Urakami et al., “Multigene methylation analysis for detection and staging of prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 6582–6588, 2005.
- C. Jerónimo, H. Usadel, R. Henrique et al., “Quantitation of GSTP1 methylation in non-neoplastic prostatic tissue and organ-confined prostate adenocarcinoma,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 22, pp. 1747–1752, 2001.
- Q. Yao, X. S. He, J. M. Zhang, and J. He, “Promotor hypermethylation of E-cadherin, p16 and estrogen receptor in prostate carcinoma,” National Journal of Andrology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–31, 2006.
- L. Liu, K. J. Kron, V. V. Pethe et al., “Association of tissue promoter methylation levels of APC, TGFβ2, HOXD3 and RASSF1A with prostate cancer progression,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 129, no. 10,, pp. 2454–2462, 2011.