- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 628679, 7 pages
What Factors Facilitate Good Learning Experiences in Clinical Studies in Nursing: Bachelor Students’ Perceptions
Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Agder, Postboks 509, 4898 Grimstad, Norway
Received 9 October 2013; Accepted 28 November 2013
Academic Editors: H. Rhee and D. M. Wilson
Copyright © 2013 Bjørg Dale et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Sharif and S. Masoumi, “A qualitative study of nursing student experiences of clinical practice,” BMC Nursing, vol. 4, article 6, 2005.
- P. A. Chesser-Smyth and T. Long, “Understanding the influences on self-confidence among first-year undergraduate nursing students in Ireland,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 145–157, 2013.
- Z. Wilkes, “The student-mentor relationship: a review of the literature,” Nursing Standard, vol. 20, no. 37, pp. 42–47, 2006.
- C. Webb and P. Shakespeare, “Judgements about mentoring relationships in nurse education,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 563–571, 2008.
- C. Bradbury-Jones, S. Sambrook, and F. Irvine, “Empowerment and being valued: a phenomenological study of nursing students' experiences of clinical practice,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 368–372, 2011.
- M.-L. Kristofferzon, G. Mårtensson, A.-G. Mamhidir, and A. Löfmark, “Nursing students’ perceptions of clinical supervision: the contributios of preceptors, head preceptors and clinical lectures,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1252–1257, 2012.
- G. Haugan, E. Aigeltinger, and V. Sørlie, “The importance of the student nurse relationship to student nurses in clinical hospital praxis,” Sykepleien Forskning, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 152–159, 2012 (Norwegian).
- M. P. Clynes and S. E. C. Raftery, “Feedback: an essential element of student learning in clinical practice,” Nordic Nurse Education in Practice, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 405–411, 2008.
- A.-M. Skovgaard, “Dialogue and reflection between student nurses and their instructor in clinical practice,” Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 45–46, 2004.
- D. F. Polit and C. T. Beck, Essentials of Nursing Research: Appraising Evidence for Nursing Practice, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2010.
- U. H. Graneheim and B. Lundman, “Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2004.
- T. L. Beauchamp and J. F. Childress, Principles of Biomedical Ethics, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 2009.
- H. Courtney-Pratt, M. Fitzgerald, K. Ford, K. Marsden, and A. Marlow, “Quality clinical placements for undergraduate nursing students: a cross-sectional survey of undergraduates and supervising nurses,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1380–1390, 2012.
- A. Löfmark and K. Wikblad, “Facilitating and obstructing factors for development of learning in clinical practice: a student perspective,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2001.
- N. B. D. Magobe, S. Beukes, and A. Müller, “Reasons for students’ poor clinical competencies in the primary health care: clinical nursing, diagnosis treatment and care programme,” Journal of Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 181–186, 2010.
- A. James and Y. Chapman, “Preceptors and patients—the power of two: nursing student experiences on their first acute clinical placement,” Contemporary Nurse, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 34–47, 2009-2010.
- K. Haddeland and U. Söderhamn, “Nursing students' experiences of nurse-lead supervision in hospital practice. A phenomenological study,” Nordic Nursing Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 19–33, 2013 (Norwegian).
- M. Myall, T. Levett-Jones, and J. Lathlean, “Mentorship in contemporary practice: the experiences of nursing students and practice mentors,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 17, no. 14, pp. 1834–1842, 2008.
- F. L. Luhanga, D. Billay, Q. Grundy, F. Myrick, and O. Yonge, “The one-to-one relationship: is it really key to an effective preceptorship experience? A review of the literature,” International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, vol. 7, no. 1, article 21, 2010.
- C. L. Clarke, C. E. Gibb, and V. Ramprogus, “Clinical learning environments: an evaluation of an innovative role to support preregistration nursing placements,” Learning in Health and Social Care, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 105–115, 2003.
- Ministry of Education Research, Norwegian Framework for Nursing Education, 2008.
- A. Lofmark and I. Thorell-Ekstrand, “Evaluation by nurses and students of a new assessment form for clinical nursing education,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2000.
- M. Bengtsson, J. Kvarnhäll, and P. Svedberg, “Swedish nurses' experiences of the process of supervising in clinical practice of nursing students,” Nordic Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2011 (Swedish).