- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 672027, 8 pages
Decreasing Frequency of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Cancer and Myeloma Patients Treated with Bisphosphonates: The Experience of the Oncology Network of Piedmont and Aosta Valley (North-Western Italy)
1Medical Oncology Unit, Department of Oncology and Hematology, Ospedale SS Antonio e Biagio e C Arrigo, Via Venezia 16, 15121 Alessandria, Italy
2Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, S. Giovanni Battista-Molinette and CPO-Corso Bramante 88, 10126 Piedmont, Turin, Italy
3Oncology Unit, University of Brescia, Spedali Civili Hospital, Piazzale Spedali Civili 1, 25123 Brescia, Italy
4Oncology Unit, IRCC Candiolo, Strada Provinciale 142, 10060 Candiolo, Turin, Italy
5Oncology Unit, S. Giovanni Battista, Molinette, Corso Bramante 88, 10126 Turin, Italy
6Oral Surgery Unit, S. Giovanni Battista, Molinette, Corso Bramante 88, 10126 Turin, Italy
7Oral Care Unit, Mauriziano Hospital, Via Magellano 1, 10126 Turin, Italy
8Dental Clinic, Department of Health Science, University of Eastern Piedmont “A. Avogadro”, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
9Hematology Unit, Department of Oncology and Hematology, Ospedale SS Antonio e Biagio e Cesare Arrigo Hospital, Via Venezia 16, 15121 Alessandria, Italy
10Hematology Unit, Turin University, Corso Bramante 88, 10126 Turin, Italy
11“Rete Oncologica di Piemonte e Valle d’Aosta” Oncology Network, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria San Giovanni Battista-Presidio San Lazzaro, Via Cherasco 23, 10126 Turin, Italy
Received 28 December 2012; Accepted 18 January 2013
Academic Editors: Z. S. Guo and V. Lorusso
Copyright © 2013 Vittorio Fusco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Coleman and E. V. McCloskey, “Bisphosphonates in oncology,” Bone, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 2011.
- B. E. Hillner, J. N. Ingle, R. T. Chlebowski et al., “American Society of Clinical Oncology 2003 update on the role of bisphosphonates and bone health issues in women with breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 4042–4057, 2003.
- J. R. Berenson, B. E. Hillner, R. A. Kyle et al., “American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guidelines: The role of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 17, pp. 3719–3736, 2002.
- F. Saad, C. S. Higano, O. Sartor et al., “The role of bisphosphonates in the treatment of prostate cancer: Recommendations from an expert panel,” Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 2006.
- R. E. Marx, “Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemic,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1115–1117, 2003.
- S. L. Ruggiero, “Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ): initial discovery and subsequent development,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, supplement 1, pp. 13–18, 2009.
- B. J. Edwards, M. Gounder, J. M. McKoy et al., “Pharmacovigilance and reporting oversight in US FDA fast-track process: bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1166–1172, 2008.
- F. Saad, J. E. Brown, C. V. Poznak, et al., “Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes of osteonecrosis of the jaw: integrated analysis from three blinded active-controlled phase III trials in cancer patients with bone metastases,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, pp. 1341–1347, 2012.
- P. Gimsing, K. Carlson, I. Turesson et al., “Effect of pamidronate 30 mg versus 90 mg on physical function in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma (Nordic Myeloma Study Group): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 973–982, 2010.
- G. J. Morgan, F. E. Davies, W. M. Gregory et al., “First-line treatment with zoledronic acid as compared with clodronic acid in multiple myeloma (MRC Myeloma IX): a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9757, pp. 1989–1999, 2010.
- P. Musto, M. T. Petrucci, S. Bringhen et al., “A multicenter, randomized clinical trial comparing zoledronic acid versus observation in patients with asymptomatic myeloma,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1588–1595, 2008.
- S. L. Ruggiero, T. B. Dodson, L. A. Assael, R. Landesberg, R. E. Marx, and B. Mehrotra, “American association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons position paper on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws-2009 update,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, supplement 1, pp. 2–12, 2009.
- R. Mhaskar, J. Redzepovic, K. Wheatley, et al., “Bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma,” The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD003188, 2010.
- C. A. Migliorati, S. B. Woo, I. Hewson, et al., “A systematic review of bisphosphonate osteonecrosis (BON) in cancer,” Support Care Cancer, vol. 18, pp. 1099–1106, 2010.
- T. Mavrokokki, A. Cheng, B. Stein, and A. Goss, “Nature and frequency of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaws in Australia,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 415–423, 2007.
- S. B. Woo, J. W. Hellstein, and J. R. Kalmar, “Systematic review: bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaws,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 10, pp. 753–761, 2006.
- A. O. Hoff, B. B. Toth, K. Altundag et al., “Frequency and risk factors associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw in cancer patients treated with intravenous bisphosphonates,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 826–836, 2008.
- G. S. Wilkinson, Y. F. Kuo, J. L. Freeman, and J. S. Goodwin, “Intravenous bisphosphonate therapy and inflammatory conditions or surgery of the jaw: a population-based analysis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 13, pp. 1016–1024, 2007.
- V. Fusco, A. Loidoris, G. Colella, P. Vescovi, and G. Campisi, “Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) risk in breast cancer patients after zoledronic acid treatment,” Breast, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 432–433, 2010.
- EMEA (European Medicines Agency), “Opinion of the Committee for medicinal products for human use pursuant to article 5(3) of regulation (EC) 726/2004, on Bisphosphonates and Osteonecrosis of the jaw,” EMEA/CHMP/292474/2009, EMEA/H/A-5(3)/1130, 2012, http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/opiniongen/29112509en.pdf and http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/opiniongen/29247409en.pdf.
- C. Christodoulou, A. Pervena, G. Klouvas et al., “Combination of bisphosphonates and antiangiogenic factors induces osteonecrosis of the jaw more frequently than bisphosphonates alone,” Oncology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 209–211, 2009.
- M. Troeltzsch, T. Woodlock, S. Kriegelstein, et al., “Physiology and pharmacology of nonbisphosphonate drugs implicated in osteonecrosis of the jaw,” Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, vol. 78, article c85, 2012.
- P. Vescovi, G. Campisi, V. Fusco et al., “Surgery-triggered and non surgery-triggered Bisphosphonate-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws (BRONJ): a retrospective analysis of 567 cases in an Italian multicenter study,” Oral Oncology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 191–194, 2011.
- R. Gliklich and J. Wilson, “Epidemiology of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: the utility of a national registry,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, supplement 1, pp. 71–74, 2009.
- V. Fusco, C. Ortega, F. Goia, et al., “Bisphosphonates (BP)-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ): clinical experience of the, "Rete Oncologica di Piemonte e Valle d'Aosta" network,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, supplement 20, Abstract 18584, 2006.
- R. A. Miksad, K. C. Lai, T. B. Dodson et al., “Quality of life implications of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw,” Oncologist, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 121–132, 2011.
- Advisory Task Force on Bisphosphonate-Related Ostenonecrosis of the Jaws, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, “American association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons position paper on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 369–376, 2007.
- G. Colella, G. Campisi, and V. Fusco, “American association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons position paper: bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws-2009 update: the need to refine the BRONJ definition,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 2698–2699, 2009.
- A. Bedogni, V. Fusco, A. Agrillo, et al., “Letter to the Editor Learning from experience. Proposal of a refined definition and staging system for BRONJ,” Oral Diseases, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 621–623, 2012.
- V. Fusco, C. Galassi, A. Berruti et al., “Osteonecrosis of the jaw after zoledronic acid and denosumab treatment,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 17, pp. e521–e522, 2011.
- L. Sottosanti, “Le segnalazioni all’AIFA. I dati della Rete Nazionale di Farmacovigilanza (RNF) sui Bifosfonati e ONJ,” http://www.reteoncologica.it/images/stories/ONJ/Osteonecrosi_mascellari_2009/02-04%20Sottosanti%20Laura.pdf.
- A. Corso, M. Varettoni, P. Zappasodi et al., “A different schedule of zoledronic acid can reduce the risk of the osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1545–1548, 2007.
- R. A. Kyle, “American Society of Clinical Oncology 2007: clinical practice guideline update on the role of bisphosphonates in multiple myeoloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, pp. 2464–2472, 2007.
- M. Q. Lacy, A. Dispenzieri, M. A. Gertz et al., “Mayo Clinic consensus statement for the use of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1047–1053, 2006.
- K. Imrie Stevens A, J. Makarski, et al., “The role of bisphosphonates in the management of skeletal complications for patients with multiple myeloma: a clinical practice guideline,” 2012, Http://www.cancercare.on.ca/pdf/pebc6-4f.pdf.
- M. Aapro, P. A. Abrahamsson, J. J. Body, et al., “Guidance on the use of bisphosphonates in solid tumors: recommendations of an international expert panel,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 19, pp. 420–432, 2008.
- E. Terpos, O. Sezer, P. I. Croucher et al., “The use of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma: recommendations of an expert panel on behalf of the European Myeloma Network,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1303–1317, 2009.
- C. I. Ripamonti, M. Maniezzo, T. Campa et al., “Decreased occurrence of osteonecrosis of the jaw after implementation of dental preventive measures in solid tumour patients with bone metastases treated with bisphosphonates. The experience of the National Cancer Institute of Milan,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 137–145, 2009.
- M. A. Dimopoulos, E. Kastritis, C. Bamia et al., “Reduction of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) after implementation of preventive measures in patients with multiple myeloma treated with zoledronic acid,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 117–120, 2009.
- M. R. Allen and D. B. Burr, “The pathogenesis of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: so many hypotheses, so few data,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 67, supplement 1, pp. 61–70, 2009.
- C. A. Migliorati, J. B. Epstein, E. Abt, and J. R. Berenson, “Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonates in cancer: a narrative review,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 2011.
- A. Badros, D. Weikel, A. Salama et al., “Osteonecrosis of the jaw in multiple myeloma patients: clinical features and risk factors,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 945–952, 2006.
- P. K. Palaska, V. Cartsos, and A. I. Zavras, “Bisphosphonates and time to osteonecrosis development,” Oncologist, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1154–1166, 2009.