- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 708323, 6 pages
Disease Activity and Bone Mineral Density of MCP Joints in Patients with Rheumatoid and Psoriatic Arthritis: Is There a Correlation?—A Study in Patients Treated with Methotrexate and an Anti-TNFα Agent
1Department of Medicine, Surgery and Neurosciences—Rheumatology Department, University of Siena, Policlinico le Scotte, Viale Bracci 16, 53100 Siena, Italy
2Epidemiology Unit, Italian Society for Rheumatology (SIR), Milan, Italy
Received 22 September 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editors: W. H. Abdulahad, M. Benucci, R. Marks, and S. Ozgocmen
Copyright © 2013 Ilaria Bertoldi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. M. Gravallese, “Bone destruction in arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, supplement 2, pp. ii84–ii86, 2002.
- T. Hirayama, L. Danks, A. Sabokbar, and N. A. Athanasou, “Osteoclast formation and activity in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis in rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1232–1239, 2002.
- N. C. Walsh, T. N. Crotti, S. R. Goldring, and E. M. Gravallese, “Rheumatic diseases: the effects of inflammation on bone,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 208, pp. 228–251, 2005.
- G. Schett, “Review: immune cells and mediators of inflammatory arthritis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 224–229, 2008.
- S. Herman, G. Krönke, and G. Schett, “Molecular mechanisms of inflammatory bone damage: emerging targets for therapy,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 245–253, 2008.
- S. R. Goldring, “Pathogenesis of bone erosions in rheumatoid arthritis,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 406–410, 2002.
- D. O'Gradaigh, D. Ireland, S. Bord, and J. E. Compston, “Joint erosion in rheumatoid arthritis: interactions between tumour necrosis factor α, interleukin 1, and receptor activator of nuclear factor κB ligand (RANKL) regulate osteoclasts,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 354–359, 2004.
- V. Wright, “Psoriatic arthritis: a comparative radiographic study of rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis associated with psoriasis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 20, pp. 123–132, 1961.
- S. Finzel, M. Englbrecht, K. Engelke, C. Stach, and G. Schett, “A comparative study of periarticular bone lesions in rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2011.
- S. R. Goldring and M. B. Goldring, “Eating bone or adding it: the Wnt pathway decides,” Nature Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 133–134, 2007.
- M. Güler-Yüksel, N. B. Klarenbeek, Y. P. M. Goekoop-Ruiterman et al., “Accelerated hand bone mineral density loss is associated with progressive joint damage in hands and feet in recent-onset rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 12, no. 3, p. R96, 2010.
- M. Hoff, G. Haugeberg, and T. K. Kvien, “Hand bone loss as an outcome measure in established rheumatoid arthritis: 2-year observational study comparing cortical and total bone loss,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 9, no. 4, article R81, 2007.
- T. Jensen, M. Hansen, K. E. Jensen, J. Pødenphant, T. M. Hansen, and L. Hyldstrup, “Comparison of dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), digital X-ray radiogrammetry (DXR), and conventional radiographs in the evaluation of osteoporosis and bone erosions in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2005.
- G. Hougeberg, M. C. Lodder, W. F. Lems et al., “Hand cortical bone mass and its associations with radiographic joint damage and fractures in 50–70 year old female patients with rheumatoid arthritis: cross sectional Oslo-Truro-Amsterdam (OSTRA) collaborative study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1331–1334, 2004.
- T. Jensen, M. Klarlund, M. Hansen et al., “Bone loss in unclassified polyarthritis and early rheumatoid arthritis is better detected by digital x ray radiogrammetry than dual x ray absorptiometry: relationship with disease activity and radiographic outcome,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2004.
- B. J. Harrison, C. E. Hutchinson, J. Adams, I. N. Bruce, and A. L. Herrick, “Assessing periarticular bone mineral density in patients with early psoriatic arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1007–1011, 2002.
- W. Sturtridge, B. Lentle, and D. A. Hanley, “Prevention and management of osteoporosis: consensus statements from the Scientific Advisory Board of the Osteoporosis Society of Canada. 2. The use of bone density measurement in the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 155, no. 7, pp. 924–929, 1996.
- M. Güler-Yüksel, C. F. Allaart, Y. P. M. Goekoop-Ruiterman et al., “Changes in hand and generalised bone mineral density in patients with recent-onset rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 330–336, 2009.
- G. Haugeberg, M. J. Green, M. A. Quinn et al., “Hand bone loss in early undifferentiated arthritis: Evaluating bone mineral density loss before the development of rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 736–740, 2006.
- J. Böttcher, A. Pfeil, A. Rosholm et al., “Computerized quantification of joint space narrowing and periarticular demineralization in patients with rheumatoid arthritis based on digital x-ray radiogrammetry,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2006.
- W. B. Jawaid, D. Crosbie, J. Shotton, D. M. Reid, and A. Stewart, “Use of digital x ray radiogrammetry in the assessment of joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 459–464, 2006.
- A. A. Deodhar, J. Brabyn, I. Pande, D. L. Scott, and A. D. Woolf, “Hand bone densitometry in rheumatoid arthritis, a five year longitudinal study: an outcome measure and a prognostic marker,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 767–770, 2003.
- M. Hoff, A. Kavanaugh, and G. Haugeberg, “Hand bone loss in patients with psoriatic arthritis: posthoc analysis of IMPACT II data comparing infliximab and lacebo,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1344–1348, 2013.
- A. Szentpetery, M. J. McKenna, B. F. Murray, et al., “Periarticular bone gain at proximal interphalangeal joints and changes in bone turnover markers in response to tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 653–662, 2013.
- M. Hoff, T. K. Kvien, J. Kälvesten, A. Elden, A. Kavanaugh, and G. Haugeberg, “Adalimumab reduces hand bone loss in rheumatoid arthritis independent of clinical response: subanalysis of the PREMIER study,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 12, article 54, 2011.
- M. Vis, E. A. Havaardsholm, G. Haugeberg et al., “Evaluation of bone mineral density, bone metabolism, osteoprotegerin and receptor activator of the NFκB ligand serum levels during treatment with infliximab in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 1495–1499, 2006.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- W. Taylor, D. Gladman, P. Helliwell, A. Marchesoni, P. Mease, and H. Mielants, “Classification criteria for psoriatic arthritis: development of new criteria from a large international study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2665–2673, 2006.
- R. Caporali, F. Conti, S. Alivernini, et al., “Recommendations for the use of biologic therapy in rheumatoid arthritis: update from the Italian Society for Rheumatology I. Efficacy,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 3, supplement 66, pp. S7–S14, 2011.
- C. Salvarani, N. Pipitone, A. Marchesoni et al., “Recommendations for the use of biologic therapy in the treatment of psoriatic arthritis: update from the Italian Society for Rheumatology,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 3, supplement 66, pp. S28–S41, 2011.
- M. Backhaus, G.-R. Burmester, T. Gerber et al., “Guidelines for musculoskeletal ultrasound in rheumatology,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 641–649, 2001.
- A. K. Scheel, K.-G. A. Hermann, E. Kahler et al., “A novel ultrasonographic synovitis scoring system suitable for analyzing finger joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 733–743, 2005.
- B. Frediani, “Effects of two administration schemes of intramuscular clodronic acid on bone mineral density: a randomized, open-label, parallel-group study,” Clinical Drug Investigation, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2011.
- L. Naumann, K.-G. A. Hermann, D. Huscher et al., “Quantification of periarticular demineralization and synovialitis of the hand in rheumatoid arthritis patients,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2671–2679, 2012.
- J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, “Calculating correlation coefficients with repeated observations: part I—correlation within subjects,” British Medical Journal, vol. 310, no. 6977, article 446, 1995.
- D. M. Reid, N. S. J. Kennedy, J. Nicoll, M. A. Smith, P. Tothill, and G. Nuki, “Total and peripheral bone mass in patients with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 372–378, 1986.
- C. Cooper, V. Poll, M. McLaren, S. O. Daunt, and M. I. D. Cawley, “Alterations in appendicular skeletal mass in patients with rheumatoid, psoriatic, and osteoarthropathy,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 481–484, 1988.
- B. Frediani, A. Allegri, P. Falsetti, et al., “Juxta-articular osteoporosis in arthritis and arthrosis: fan-beam x ray densitometry,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 42, supplement, p. S355, 1999.
- G. Haugeberg, A. Strand, T. K. Kvien, and J. R. Kirwan, “Reduced loss of hand bone density with prednisolone in early rheumatoid arthritis: results from a randomized placebo-controlled trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 11, pp. 1293–1297, 2005.
- B. Seriolo, S. Paolino, A. Sulli, V. Ferretti, and M. Cutolo, “Bone metabolism changes during anti-TNF-α therapy in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1069, pp. 420–427, 2006.