- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 756276, 5 pages
Oxygen Consumption at 30 W of Exercise Is Surrogate for Peak Oxygen Consumption in Evaluation of Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Young-Adult African-American Females
1Department of Physiology & Biophysics, The Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
2Department of Health, Human Performance & Leisure Studies, The Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
3Department of Neurology, The Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
4Department of Medicine, The Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Received 5 July 2013; Accepted 1 September 2013
Academic Editors: S. Perrey, M. Spencer, and A. A. Steiner
Copyright © 2013 Richard M. Millis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Huggett, D. M. Connelly, and T. J. Overend, “Maximal aerobic capacity testing of older adults: a critical review,” The Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 57–66, 2005.
- R. M. Ross, J. N. Murthy, I. D. Wollak, and A. S. Jackson, “The six minute walk test accurately estimates mean peak oxygen uptake,” BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 10, article 31, 2010.
- C. L. Melby, R. C. Ho, K. Jeckel, L. Beal, M. Goran, and W. T. Donahoo, “Comparison of risk factors for obesity in young, nonobese African-American and Caucasian women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1514–1522, 2000.
- K. E. Wallman and L. Campbell, “Test-retest reliability of the Aerobic Power Index submaximal exercise test in an obese population,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 141–146, 2007.
- K. Wallman, C. Goodman, A. Morton, R. Grove, and B. Dawson, “Test-retest reliability of the aerobic power index component of the tri-level fitness profile in a sedentary population,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 443–454, 2003.
- J. P. Buckley, J. Sim, R. G. Eston, R. Hession, and R. Fox, “Reliability and validity of measures taken during the Chester step test to predict aerobic power and to prescribe aerobic exercise,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 197–205, 2004.
- R. G. Eston, J. A. Faulkner, E. A. Mason, and G. Parfitt, “The validity of predicting maximal oxygen uptake from perceptually regulated graded exercise tests of different durations,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 535–541, 2006.
- M. S. Olson, H. N. Williford, D. L. Blessing, G. D. Wilson, and G. Halpin, “A test to estimate VO2max in females using aerobic dance, heart rate, BMI, and age,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 159–168, 1995.
- S. McMahon and H. A. Wenger, “The relationship between aerobic fitness and both power output and subsequent recovery during maximal intermittent exercise,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 219–227, 1998.
- T. G. Lohman, K. Ring, K. Pfeiffer et al., “Relationships among fitness, body composition, and physical activity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1163–1170, 2008.
- E. L. Cadore, R. S. Pinto, C. L. Alberton et al., “Neuromuscular economy, strength, and endurance in healthy elderly men,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 997–1003, 2011.
- J. L. Graef, A. E. Smith, K. L. Kendall et al., “The effects of four weeks of creatine supplementation and high-intensity interval training on cardiorespiratory fitness: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, vol. 6, article 18, 2009.
- J. A. Laukkanen, T. H. Mkikallio, R. Rauramaa, V. Kiviniemi, K. Ronkainen, and S. Kurl, “Cardiorespiratory fitness is related to the risk of sudden cardiac death: a population-based follow-up study,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 18, pp. 1476–1483, 2010.
- M. D. Muller, J. L. Mast, H. Patel, and L. I. Sinoway, “Cardiac mechanics are impaired during fatiguing exercise and cold pressor test in healthy older adults,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 186–194, 2013.
- J. D. Tune, M. W. Gorman, and E. O. Feigl, “Matching coronary blood flow to myocardial oxygen consumption,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 404–415, 2004.
- C. Berry, S. Noble, R. Ibrahim et al., “Remodeling is a more important determinant of lumen size than atheroma burden in left main coronary artery disease,” American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 188–e1, 2010.
- S.-G. Kim, S. Apple, G. S. Mintz et al., “The importance of gender on coronary artery size: in-vivo assessment by intravascular ultrasound,” Clinical Cardiology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 291–294, 2004.
- J. L. Houghton, A. A. Carr, D. S. Strogatz et al., “Coronary vasomotor reactivity among normotensive African and white American subjects with chest pain,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 1997.
- J. L. Houghton, E. F. Philbin, D. S. Strogatz et al., “The presence of African American race predicts improvement in coronary endothelial function after supplementary L-arginine,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1314–1322, 2002.
- J. Lucena, M. Blanco, C. Jurado et al., “Cocaine-related sudden death: a prospective investigation in south-west Spain,” European Heart Journal, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 318–329, 2010.
- J. Goodman, S. Thomas, and J. F. Burr, “Physical activity series: cardiovascular risks of physical activity in apparently healthy individuals: risk evaluation for exercise clearance and prescription,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 46–49, 2013.