- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Organic Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 791591, 12 pages
Synthesis, Characterization, and BSA Binding Studies of Some New Benzamides Related to Schiff Base
1Department of Chemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore, Karnataka 570006, India
2Department of Botany, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore, Karnataka 570006, India
Received 12 February 2013; Accepted 7 March 2013
Academic Editors: G. Gattuso, M. Parra, and F. L. Van Delft
Copyright © 2013 M. K. Prashanth et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. L. Lehninger, Principles of Biochemistry, Worth, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- S. N. Pandeya, D. Sriram, G. Nath, and E. De Clercq, “Synthesis, antibacterial, antifungal and anti-HIV evaluation of Schiff and Mannich bases of isatin and its berivatives with triazole,” Arzneimittel-Forschung/Drug Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2000.
- G. Turan-Zitouni, Z. A. Kaplancikli, A. Özdemir, P. Chevallet, H. B. Kandilci, and B. Gümüsel, “Studies on 1,2,4-triazole derivatives as potential anti-inflammatory agents,” Archiv der Pharmazie, vol. 340, no. 11, pp. 586–590, 2007.
- M. T. H. Tarafder, A. Kasbollah, N. Saravanan, K. A. Crouse, A. M. Ali, and K. Tin Oo, “S-methyldithiocarbazate and its Schiff bases: evaluation of bondings and biological properties,” Journal of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 85–91, 2002.
- G. A. White, “Substituted 2-methylbenzanilides and structurally related carboxamides: inhibition of Complex II activity in mitochondria from a wild-type strain and a carboxin-resistant mutant strain of Ustilago maydis,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 255–276, 1989.
- I. Yalcin, B. K. Kaymakcioglu, I. Oren, E. Sener, and O. Temiz, “Synthesis and microbiological activity of some novel N-(2-hydroxyl-5-substitutedphenyl)benzacetamides, phenoxyacetamides and thiophenoxyacetamides as the possible metabolites of antimicrobial active benzoxazoles,” Farmaco, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 685–689, 1997.
- E. A. Sener, K. K. Bingöl, I. Ören, Ö. T. Arpaci, I. Yalçin, and N. Altanlar, “Synthesis and microbiological activity of some N-(o-hydroxyphenyl)benzamides and phenylacetamides as the possible metabolites of antimicrobial active benzoxazoles: part II,” Farmaco, vol. 55, no. 6-7, pp. 469–476, 2000.
- J. Davies, “Inactivation of antibiotics and the dissemination of resistance genes,” Science, vol. 264, no. 5157, pp. 375–382, 1994.
- M. M. Cowan, “Plant products as antimicrobial agents,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 564–582, 1999.
- R. Bax, N. Mullan, and J. Verhoef, “The millennium bugs—the need for and development of new antibacterials,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2000.
- H. S. Gold and R. C. Moellering, “Antimicrobial-drug resistance,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 19, pp. 1445–1454, 1996.
- H. V. Bossche, P. Marichal, and F. C. Odds, “Molecular mechanisms of drug resistance in fungi,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 393–400, 1994.
- M. L. Cohen, “Epidemiology of drug resistance: implications for a post-antimicrobial era,” Science, vol. 257, no. 5073, pp. 1050–1055, 1992.
- R. Suthakaran, S. Kavimani, P. Venkapayya, and K. Suganthi, “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of 3-(2-(4z)-4-substituted benzylidene-4,5-dihydro-5-oxo-2-phenyl imidazol-1-yl)ethyl)-6,8-un/dibromo subtituted-2-substituted quinazoline-(3H)-one,” Rasayan Journal of Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 22–29, 2008.
- M. K. Prashanth, H. D. Revanasiddappa, K. M. L. Rai, and B. Veeresh, “Synthesis, characterization, antidepressant and antioxidant activity of novel piperamides bearing piperidine and piperazine analogues,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 22, pp. 7065–7070, 2012.
- D. C. Carter and J. X. Ho, “Structure of serum albumin,” Advances in Protein Chemistry, vol. 45, pp. 153–203, 1994.
- X. L. Han, P. Mei, Y. Liu, Q. Xiao, F. L. Jiang, and R. Li, “Binding interaction of quinclorac with bovine serum albumin: a biophysical study,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 781–787, 2009.
- S. H. Gillespie, Medical Microbiology, Illustrated Butterworth Heinemann Ltd., Dunfermline, UK, 1994.
- R. N. Jones, A. L. Barry, T. L. Gaven et al., Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1985.
- M. S. Blois, “Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical,” Nature, vol. 181, no. 4617, pp. 1199–1200, 1958.
- D. Kovala-Demertzi, A. Galani, M. A. Demertzis, S. Skoulika, and C. Kotoglou, “Binuclear copper(II) complexes of tolfenamic: synthesis, crystal structure, spectroscopy and superoxide dismutase activity,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 358–364, 2004.
- M. S. Refat, I. M. El-Deen, H. K. Ibrahim, and S. El-Ghool, “Synthesis and spectroscopic studies of some transition metal complexes of a novel Schiff base ligands derived from 5-phenylazo-salicyladehyde and o-amino benzoic acid,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1208–1220, 2006.
- M. K. Prashanth and H. D. Revanasiddappa, “Synthesis of some new glutamine linked 2,3-disubstituted quinazolinone derivatives as potent antimicrobial and antioxidant agents,” Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2012.
- R. Amarowicz, R. B. Pegg, P. Rahimi-Moghaddam, B. Barl, and J. A. Weil, “Free-radical scavenging capacity and antioxidant activity of selected plant species from the Canadian prairies,” Food Chemistry, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 551–562, 2004.
- P. Siddhuraju and K. Becker, “The antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of processed cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) seed extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 10–19, 2006.
- B. Halliwell, S. Chirico, M. A. Crawford, K. S. Bjerve, and K. F. Gey, “Lipid peroxidation: its mechanism, measurement, and significance,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 715–721, 1993.
- T. Symeonidis, M. Chamilos, D. J. Hadjipavlou-Litina, M. Kallitsakis, and K. E. Litinas, “Synthesis of hydroxycoumarins and hydroxybenzo[f]- or [h]coumarins as lipid peroxidation inhibitors,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1139–1142, 2009.
- I. Mitra, A. Saha, and K. Roy, “QSPR of antioxidant phenolic compounds using quantum chemical descriptors,” Molecular Simulation, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 394–413, 2011.
- J. S. Wright, E. R. Johnson, and G. A. DiLabio, “Predicting the activity of phenolic antioxidants: theoretical method, analysis of substituent effects, and application to major families of antioxidants,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1173–1183, 2001.
- Y. J. Hu, Y. Liu, R. M. Zhao, and S. S. Qu, “Interaction of colchicine with human serum albumin investigated by spectroscopic methods,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 122–126, 2005.
- T. Yuan, A. M. Weljie, and H. J. Vogel, “Tryptophan fluorescence quenching by methionine and selenomethionine residues of calmodulin: orientation of peptide and protein binding,” Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 3187–3195, 1998.
- J. R. Lakowicz, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- H. Cao, D. Wu, H. Wang, and M. Xu, “Effect of the glycosylation of flavonoids on interaction with protein,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 73, pp. 972–975, 2009.
- W. He, Y. Li, C. Xue, Z. Hu, X. Chen, and F. Sheng, “Effect of Chinese medicine alpinetin on the structure of human serum albumin,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1837–1845, 2005.
- G. Zhang, A. Wang, T. Jiang, and J. Guo, “Interaction of the irisflorentin with bovine serum albumin: a fluorescence quenching study,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 891, no. 1–3, pp. 93–97, 2008.
- Y. Z. Zhang, H. R. Li, J. Dai, W. J. Chen, J. Zhang, and Y. Liu, “Spectroscopic studies on the binding of cobalt(II) 1,10-Phenanthroline complex to bovine serum albumin,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 135, no. 1–3, pp. 136–152, 2010.
- F. Wang, W. Huang, and Z. Dai, “Spectroscopic investigation of the interaction between riboflavin and bovine serum albumin,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 875, no. 1–3, pp. 509–514, 2008.
- S. Weiss, “Fluorescence spectroscopy of single biomolecules,” Science, vol. 283, pp. 1676–1683, 1999.