- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 805678, 6 pages
Microwave-Assisted Derivatization of Bile Acids for Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry Determination
1Departamento de Química, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antônio Carlos 6627 Pampulha, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Universidade Federal de São João Del Rei, Avenida Sebastião Gonçalves Coelho 400 Chanadour, 35501-296, Divinópolis, MG, Brazil
Received 8 July 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editors: D. J. Fletouris, R. K. Jyothi, A. Przyjazny, and I. Zhukov
Copyright © 2013 Maria José Nunes de Paiva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Burkard, A. von Eckardstein, and K. M. Rentsch, “Differentiated quantification of human bile acids in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 826, no. 1-2, pp. 147–159, 2005.
- A. Fini, G. Feroci, and A. Roda, “Acidity in bile acid systems,” Polyhedron, vol. 21, no. 14-15, pp. 1421–1427, 2002.
- A. K. Batta and G. Salen, “Gas chromatography of bile acids,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 723, no. 1-2, pp. 1–16, 1999.
- A. Roda, F. Piazza, and M. Baraldini, “Separation techniques for bile salts analysis,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 717, no. 1-2, pp. 263–278, 1998.
- A.-M. Montet, L. Oliva, F. Beaugé, and J.-C. Montet, “Bile salts modulate chronic ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2002.
- M. J. N. de Paiva and M. E. P. B. de Siqueira, “Increased serum bile acids as a possible biomarker of hepatotoxicity in Brazilian workers exposed to solvents in car repainting shops,” Biomarkers, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 456–463, 2005.
- T. Iida, S. Ogawa, G. Kakiyama et al., “Capillary gas chromatographic separation of bile acid acyl glycosides without thermal decomposition and isomerization,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1057, no. 1-2, pp. 171–176, 2004.
- T. Iida, S. Tazawa, T. Tamaru, J. Goto, and T. Nambara, “Gas chromatographic separation of bile acid 3-glucosides and 3-glucuronides without prior deconjugation on a stainless-steel capillary column,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 689, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 1995.
- F. Mashige, N. Tanaka, A. Maki, S. Kamei, and M. Yamanaka, “Direct spectrophotometry of total bile acids in serum,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1352–1356, 1981.
- K. A. Kouremenos, J. J. Harynuk, W. L. Winniford, P. D. Morrison, and P. J. Marriott, “One-pot microwave derivatization of target compounds relevant to metabolomics with comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 878, no. 21, pp. 1761–1770, 2010.
- C. Schummer, O. Delhomme, B. M. R. Appenzeller, R. Wennig, and M. Millet, “Comparison of MTBSTFA and BSTFA in derivatization reactions of polar compounds prior to GC/MS analysis,” Talanta, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 1473–1482, 2009.
- A. Shareef, M. J. Angove, and J. D. Wells, “Optimization of silylation using N-methyl-N-(trimethylsilyl)-trifluoroacetamide, N,O-bis-(trimethylsilyl)-trifluoroacetamide and N-(tert-butyldimethylsilyl)-N-methyltrifluoroacetamide for the determination of the estrogens estrone and 17α-ethinylestradiol by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1108, no. 1, pp. 121–128, 2006.
- R. J. Wells, “Recent advances in non-silylation derivatization techniques for gas chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 843, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 1999.
- J. Drozd, “Chemical derivatization in gas chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 303–356, 1975.
- Y. Alnouti, I. L. Csanaky, and C. D. Klaassen, “Quantitative-profiling of bile acids and their conjugates in mouse liver, bile, plasma, and urine using LC-MS/MS,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 873, no. 2, pp. 209–217, 2008.
- A. K. Batta, G. Salen, P. Batta, G. S. Tint, D. S. Alberts, and D. L. Earnest, “Simultaneous quantitation of fatty acids, sterols and bile acids in human stool by capillary gas-liquid chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 775, no. 2, pp. 153–161, 2002.
- I. Bobeldijk, M. Hekman, J. de Vries-van der Weij et al., “Quantitative profiling of bile acids in biofluids and tissues based on accurate mass high resolution LC-FT-MS: compound class targeting in a metabolomics workflow,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 871, no. 2, pp. 306–313, 2008.
- W. J. Griffiths and J. Sjövall, “Analytical strategies for characterization of bile acid and oxysterol metabolomes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 396, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 2010.
- J. A. Bowden, D. M. Colosi, D. C. Mora-Montero, T. J. Garrett, and R. A. Yost, “Enhancement of chemical derivatization of steroids by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS),” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 877, no. 27, pp. 3237–3242, 2009.
- Y.-Q. Zhou, Z.-J. Wang, and N. Jia, “Formation of multiple trimethylsilyl derivatives in the derivatization of 17α-ethinylestradiol with BSTFA or MSTFA followed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry determination,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 879–884, 2007.
- Á. Sebok, K. Sezer, A. Vasanits-Zsigrai, A. Helenkár, G. Záray, and I. Molnár-Perl, “Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of the trimethylsilyl (oxime) ether/ester derivatives of cholic acids: their presence in the aquatic environment,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1211, no. 1-2, pp. 104–112, 2008.
- W. J. Griffiths and Y. Wang, “Analysis of neurosterols by GC-MS and LC-MS/MS,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 877, no. 26, pp. 2778–2805, 2009.
- J. L. Little, “Artifacts in trimethylsilyl derivatization reactions and ways to avoid them,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 844, no. 1-2, pp. 1–22, 1999.
- B. S. Kumar, B. C. Chung, Y.-J. Lee, H. J. Yi, B.-H. Lee, and B. H. Jung, “Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry-based simultaneous quantitative analytical method for urinary oxysterols and bile acids in rats,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 408, no. 2, pp. 242–252, 2011.
- P. Tyagi, D. R. Edwards, and M. S. Coyne, “Fecal sterol and bile acid biomarkers: Runoff concentrations in animal waste-amended pastures,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 198, no. 1–4, pp. 45–54, 2009.
- M. J. Casas-Catalán, M. T. Doménech-Carbó, R. Mateo-Castro, J. V. Gimeno-Adelantado, and F. Bosch-Reig, “Characterization of bile acids and fatty acids from ox bile in oil paintings by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1025, no. 2, pp. 269–276, 2004.
- A. Ranz, A. Eberl, E. Maier, and E. Lankmayr, “Microwave-assisted derivatization of acidic herbicides for gas chromatography-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1192, no. 2, pp. 282–288, 2008.
- M. Damm, G. Rechberger, M. Kollroser, and C. O. Kappe, “Microwave-assisted high-throughput derivatization techniques utilizing silicon carbide microtiter platforms,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1217, no. 1, pp. 167–170, 2010.
- M. Liebeke, A. Wunder, and M. Lalk, “A rapid microwave-assisted derivatization of bacterial metabolome samples for gas chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 401, no. 2, pp. 312–314, 2010.
- Y. C. Fiamegos, A. Karatapanis, and C. D. Stalikas, “Microwave-assisted phase-transfer catalysis for the rapid one-pot methylation and gas chromatographic determination of phenolics,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1217, no. 5, pp. 614–621, 2010.
- EURACHEM, Guide to Quality in Analytical Chemistry Na AID to Accreditation, CITAC/EURACHEM, 2002.