- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 839498, 10 pages
Electrochemical Behavior of Malachite Green in Aqueous Solutions of Ionic Surfactants
1Department of Chemistry, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
2University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, Agargaon, Dhaka 1207, Bangladesh
Received 22 July 2013; Accepted 24 August 2013
Academic Editors: H. Karimi-Maleh and R. Kizek
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Mijanur Rahman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Culp and F. A. Beland, “Malachite green: a toxicological review,” International Journal of Toxicology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 219–238, 1996.
- P. Ngamukot, T. Charoenraks, O. Chailapakul, S. Motomizu, and S. Chuanuwatanakul, “Cost-effective flow cell for the determination of malachite green and leucomalachite green at a boron-doped diamond thin-film electrode,” Analytical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 111–116, 2006.
- K. K. Karukstis and A. V. Gulledge, “Analysis of the solvatochromic behavior of the disubstituted triphenylmethane dye brilliant green,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 70, no. 19, pp. 4212–4217, 1998.
- X. Niu, W. Zhang, N. Zhao, and W. Sun, “Voltammetric determination of heparin based on its interaction with malachite green,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 162–172, 2008.
- K. Qu, X. Zhang, Z. Lv et al., “Simultaneous detection of diethylstilbestrol and malachite green using conductive carbon black paste electrode,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1827–1839, 2012.
- R. M. Uda and K. Kimura, “Microscopic location of photosensitive malachite Green surfactant in mixed micelle and its photoinduced enhancement of solubilizing power,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 285, no. 6, pp. 699–704, 2007.
- R. C. Kaye and H. I. Stonehill, “The polarographic reduction of crystal-violet, brilliant-green, malachite-green, and auramine,” Journal of the Chemical Society, vol. 618, pp. 3231–3239, 1952.
- J. Mata, D. Varade, and P. Bahadur, “Aggregation behavior of quaternary salt based cationic surfactants,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 428, no. 1-2, pp. 147–155, 2005.
- M. N. Khan and A. Sarwar, “Study of dye-surfactant interaction: aggregation and dissolution of yellowish in N-dodecyl pyridinum chloride,” Fluid Phase Equilibria, vol. 239, no. 2, pp. 166–171, 2006.
- S. M. Chen, J. Y. Chen, and R. Thangamuthu, “Electrochemical preparation of poly(malachite green) film modified Nafion-coated glassy carbon electrode and its electrocatalytic behavior towards NADH, dopamine and ascorbic acid,” Electroanalysis, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1531–1538, 2007.
- L. Antonov, G. Gergov, V. Petrov, M. Kubista, and J. Nygren, “UV-Vis spectroscopic and chemometric study on the aggregation of ionic dyes in water,” Talanta, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 99–106, 1999.
- A. M. R. Kabir and M. A. B. H. Susan, “Kinetics of the alkaline hydrolysis of crystal violet n aqueous solution influenced by anionic surfactants,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 543–554, 2008.
- X. Hu, K. Jiao, W. Sun, and J.-Y. You, “Electrochemical and spectroscopic studies on the interaction of malachite green with DNA and its application,” Electroanalysis, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 613–620, 2006.
- N. S. Kobotaeva, E. E. Sirotkina, and E. V. Mikubaeva, “Electrochemical oxidation of tritane dyes,” Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 268–271, 2006.
- V. V. Perekotii, Z. A. Temerdashev, T. G. Tsyupko, and E. A. Palenaya, “Electrochemical behavior of crystal violet on glassy carbon electrodes,” Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 448–451, 2002.
- J.-P. Song, Y.-J. Guo, S.-M. Shuang, and C. Dong, “Study on the inclusion interaction of ethyl violet with cyclodextrins by MWNTs/Nafion modified glassy carbon electrode,” Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, vol. 68, no. 3-4, pp. 467–473, 2010.
- B. Xu, K. Jiao, W. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Recognition and determination of DNA using victoria blue b as electrochemical probe,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 406–417, 2007.
- Z. Galus and R. N. Adams, “The anodic oxidation of triphenylmethane dyes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1666–1671, 1964.
- D. A. Hall, M. Sakuma, and P. J. Elving, “Voltammetric oxidation of triphenylmethane dyes at platinum in liquid sulphur dioxide,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 337–350, 1966.
- M. M. Rahman, M. Y. A. Mollah, M. M. Rahman, and M. A. B. H. Susan, “Electrochemical behavior of malachite green on a glassy carbon electrode: a cyclic voltammetric study,” Journal of Bangladesh Chemical Society, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2011.
- T. Saji, K. Hoshino, and S. Aoyagui, “Reversible formation and disruption of micelles by control of the redox state of the head group,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 107, no. 24, pp. 6865–6868, 1985.
- Y. Takeoka, T. Aoki, K. Sanui, N. Ogata, and M. Watanabe, “Electrochemical studies of a redox-active surfactant. Correlation between electrochemical responses and dissolved states,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 487–493, 1996.
- M. A. B. H. Susan, K. Tani, and M. Watanabe, “Surface activity and redox behavior of nonionic surfactants containing an anthraquinone group as the redox-active site,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 277, no. 12, pp. 1125–1133, 1999.
- M. A. B. H. Susan, M. Begum, Y. Takeoka, and M. Watanabe, “Effect of pH and the extent of micellization on the redox behavior of non-ionic surfactants containing an anthraquinone group,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 481, no. 2, pp. 192–199, 2000.
- M. A. B. H. Susan, M. Begum, Y. Takeoka, and M. Watanabe, “Study of the correlation of the cyclic voltammetric responses of a nonionic surfactant containing an anthraquinone group with the dissolved states,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 3509–3516, 2000.
- M. A. Haque, M. M. Rahman, and M. A. B. H. Susan, “Aqueous electrochemistry of anthraquinone and its correlation with the dissolved states of a cationic surfactant,” Journal of Solution Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 861–875, 2011.
- M. A. Haque, M. M. Rahman, and M. A. B. H. Susan, “Electrochemical behavior of anthraquinone in reverse micelles and microemulsions of cetyltrimethylammonium bromide,” Journal of Solution Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 447–457, 2012.
- I. Mahmud, A. J. F. Samed, M. A. Haque, and M. A. B. H. Susan, “Electrochemical behavior of anthraquinone in aqueous solution in presence of a non-ionic surfactant,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 203–208, 2011.
- A. Pedraza, M. D. Sicilia, S. Rubio, and D. Pérez-Bendito, “Determination of aromatic hydrotropic drugs in pharmaceutical preparations by the surfactant-binding degree method,” Analyst, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 1102–1107, 2005.
- B. Gohain, B. Boruah, P. M. Saikia, and R. K. Dutta, “Premicellar and micelle formation behavior of aqueous anionic surfactants in the presence of triphenylmethane dyes: protonation of dye in ion pair micelles,” Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 211–219, 2010.
- W. Huang, C. Yang, W. Qu, and S. Zhang, “Voltammetric determination of malachite green in fish samples based on the enhancement effect of anionic surfactant,” Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 946–951, 2008.
- L. Liu, F. Zhao, F. Xiao, and B. Zeng, “Improved voltammetric response of malachite green at a multi-walled carbon nanotubes coated glassy carbon electrode in the presence of surfactant,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 525–534, 2009.
- K. Yamamoto and S. Motomizu, “Liquid-liquid distribution of ion-associates of acidic dyes with quaternary ammonium counter-ions,” Talanta, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 477–482, 1991.
- M. Mukhopadhyay, C. Sen Varma, and B. B. Bhowmik, “Photo-induced electron transfer in surfactant solutions containing thionine dye,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 268, no. 5, pp. 447–451, 1990.
- W. Biedermann and A. Datyner, “The interaction of nonionic dyestuffs with sodium dodecyl sulfate and its correlation with lipophilic parameters,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 276–285, 1981.
- Z. Galus and R. N. Adams, “Anodic oxidation studies of N,N-dimethylaniline. II. Stationary and rotated disk studies at inert electrodes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 2061–2065, 1962.
- A. J. Bard and L. R. Faulkner, Electrochemical Methods: Fundamental and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Beijing, China, 2nd edition, 2004.
- R. S. Nicholson and I. Shain, “Theory of stationary electrode polarography single scan and cyclic methods applied to reversible, irreversible, and kinetic systems,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 706–723, 1964.
- K. Jiao, T. Yang, and S. Niu, “Thin-layer spectroelectrochemical study of 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine at SnO2:F film optically transparent electrode,” Science in China B, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 267–275, 2004.
- C. M. A. Brett and A. M. O. Brett, Electrochemistry, Principles, Methods, and Applications, Oxford University Press, NewYork, NY, USA, 1994.
- Z. Zhu and N.-Q. Li, “Electrochemical studies of 9,10-anthraquinone interacting with hemoglobin and determination of hemoglobin,” Mikrochimica Acta, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 301–308, 1999.