- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 843793, 5 pages
Evaluation of the Benefit of Routine Intraoperative Frozen Section Analysis of Sentinel Lymph Nodes in Breast Cancer
1Department of Surgery, Gelderse Vallei Hospital, 6716 RP Ede, The Netherlands
2Department of Pathology, Rijnstate Hospital, 6518 AD Arnhem, The Netherlands
Received 7 July 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editors: T. Kozu, S. I. Mohammed, and M. Santarosa
Copyright © 2013 C. M. T. P. Francissen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- CBO, Richtlijn behandeling van het mammacarcinoom, Van Zuiden Communications B.V., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2005.
- M. R. Weiser, L. L. Montgomery, B. Susnik, L. K. Tan, P. I. Borgen, and H. S. Cody, “Is routine intraoperative frozen-section examination of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer worthwhile?” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 651–655, 2000.
- S. van de Vrande, J. Meijer, A. Rijnders, and J. H. G. Klinkenbijl, “The value of intraoperative frozen section examination of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 276–280, 2009.
- L. Fortunato, M. Amini, M. Farina et al., “Intraoperative examination of sentinel nodes in breast cancer: is the glass half full or half empty?” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1005–1010, 2004.
- N. Arora, D. Martins, T. L. Huston et al., “Sentinel node positivity rates with and without frozen section for breast cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 256–261, 2008.
- G. H. Lyman, A. E. Giuliano, M. R. Somerfield et al., “American society of clinical oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 30, pp. 7703–7720, 2005.
- N. Wada, S. Imoto, T. Hasebe, A. Ochiai, S. Ebihara, and N. Moriyama, “Evaluation of intraoperative frozen section diagnosis of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 113–117, 2004.
- S. A. McLaughlin, L. M. Ochoa-Frongia, S. M. Patil, H. S. Cody III, and L. M. Sclafani, “Influence of frozen-section analysis of sentinel lymph node and lumpectomy margin status on reoperation rates in patients undergoing breast-conservation therapy,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 76–82, 2008.
- R. Ali, A. M. Hanly, P. Naughton et al., “Intraoperative frozen section assessment of sentinel lymph nodes in the operative management of women with symptomatic breast cancer,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 6, article 69, 2008.
- S. W. Chan, K. A. LaVigne, E. R. Port et al., “Does the benefit of sentinel node frozen section vary between patients with invasive duct, invasive lobular, and favorable histologic subtypes of breast cancer?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 1, pp. 143–149, 2008.
- G. F. Schwartz, L. S. Krill, J. P. Palazzo, and A. Dasgupta, “Value of intraoperative examination of axillary sentinel nodes in carcinoma of the breast,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 207, no. 5, pp. 758–762, 2008.
- U. Veronesi, G. Paganelli, G. Viale et al., “Sentinel-lymph-node biopsy as a staging procedure in breast cancer: update of a randomised controlled study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 983–990, 2006.
- F. D. Rahusen, R. Pijpers, P. J. van Diest, R. P. Bleichrodt, H. Torrenga, and S. Meijer, “The implementation of the sentinel node biopsy as a routine procedure for patients with breast cancer,” Surgery, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 6–12, 2000.
- R. Rónká, K. V. Smitten, H. Sintonen et al., “The impact of sentinel node biopsy and axillary staging strategy on hospital costs,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2004.
- M. Holm, B. Paaschburg, E. Balslev, C. K. Axelsson, G. L. Willemoe, and H. L. Flyger, “Intraoperative immunohistochemistry staining of sentinel nodes in breast cancer: clinical and economical implications,” Breast, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 372–375, 2008.
- G. Zavagno, G. L. de Salvo, G. Scalco et al., “A randomized clinical trial on sentinel lymph node biopsy versus axillary lymph node dissection in breast cancer: results of the sentinella/GIVOM trial,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 2, pp. 207–213, 2008.
- R. Ramjeesingh, M. L. Quan, S. Gardner, and C. M. B. Holloway, “Prediction of involvement of sentinel and nonsentinel lymph nodes in a Canadian population with breast cancer,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2009.
- A. Goyal, R. G. Newcombe, A. Chhabra, and R. E. Mansel, “Morbidity in breast cancer patients with sentinel node metastases undergoing delayed axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) compared with immediate ALND,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 262–267, 2008.
- S. Krishnamurthy, F. Meric-Bernstam, A. Lucci et al., “A prospective study comparing touch imprint cytology, frozen section analysis, and rapid cytokeratin immunostain for intraoperative evaluation of axillary sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 1555–1562, 2009.
- A. E. Giuliano, L. McCall, P. Beitsch et al., “Locoregional recurrence after sentinel lymph node dissection with or without axillary dissection in patients with sentinel lymph node metastases: the American college of surgeons oncology group Z0011 randomized trial,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 252, no. 3, pp. 426–432, 2010.