- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 906276, 8 pages
What Aspect of Dependence Does the Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence Measure?
1Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Massachusetts Medical School,
55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
2Department of Psychology and Social Science Research Center, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS 39762, USA
Received 28 September 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editors: A. Benvenuti, J. C. Chen, and G. Rubio
Copyright © 2013 Joseph R. DiFranza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. F. Heatherton, L. T. Kozlowski, R. C. Frecker, and K. O. Fagerstrom, “The Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: a revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire,” British Journal of Addiction, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1119–1127, 1991.
- G. A. Contreras, J. O'Loughlin, D. Rodriguez, R. J. Wellman, and J. R. DiFranza, “Measures of nicotine dependence in adolescents: an update of the evidence 2000–2010,” Journal of Pediatric Biochemistry, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 143–163, 2010.
- K. Fagerstrom and T. Eissenberg, “Dependence on tobacco and nicotine products: a case for product-specific assessment,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1382–1390, 2012.
- J. R. Hughes, A. H. Oliveto, R. Riggs et al., “Concordance of different measures of nicotine dependence: two pilot studies,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1527–1539, 2004.
- T. C. Buckley, S. L. Mozley, D. R. Holohan, K. Walsh, J. C. Beckham, and J. D. Kassel, “A psychometric evaluation of the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence in PTSD smokers,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1029–1033, 2005.
- A. J. Molina, D. Fernández, M. Delgado, and V. Martín, “Sensitivity and specificity of a self-administered questionnaire of tobacco use; including the Fagerström test,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 181–189, 2010.
- T. J. Payne, P. O. Smith, L. M. McCracken, W. C. McSherry, and M. M. Antony, “Assessing nicotine dependence: A comparison of the Fagerstrom tolerance questionnaire (FTQ) with the Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence (FTND) in a clinical sample,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 307–317, 1994.
- J. A. Fidler, L. Shahab, and R. West, “Strength of urges to smoke as a measure of severity of cigarette dependence: comparison with the Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence and its components,” Addiction, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 631–638, 2011.
- E. T. Moolchan, A. Radzius, D. H. Epstein et al., “The Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence and the Diagnostic Interview Schedule: do they diagnose the same smokers?” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 101–113, 2002.
- K. Stavem, O. J. Røgeberg, J. A. Olsen, and J. Boe, “Properties of the cigarette dependence scale and the Fagerström test of nicotine dependence in a representative sample of smokers in Norway,” Addiction, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 1441–1449, 2008.
- R. Borland, H. H. Yong, R. J. O'Connor, A. Hyland, and M. E. Thompson, “The reliability and predictive validity of the heaviness of smoking index and its two components: findings from the International Tobacco Control Four Country study,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S45–S50, 2010.
- M. O. Chaiton, J. E. Cohen, P. W. McDonald, and S. J. Bondy, “The Heaviness of Smoking Index as a predictor of smoking cessation in Canada,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1031–1042, 2007.
- D. S. Courvoisier and J. F. Etter, “Comparing the predictive validity of five cigarette dependence questionnaires,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 107, no. 2-3, pp. 128–133, 2010.
- J. R. DiFranza, J. A. Savageau, and R. J. Wellman, “A comparison of the Autonomy over Tobacco Scale and the Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 856–861, 2012.
- J. R. DiFranza, R. J. Wellman, W. W. S. A. Ursprung, and C. Sabiston, “The autonomy over smoking scale,” Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 656–665, 2009.
- J. R. Difranza, P. Morello, and B. Gershenson, “The retest reliability of nicotine dependence measures,” Addiction Research and Theory, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2012.
- J. R. DiFranza, M. Sweet, J. A. Savageau, and W. W. S. Ursprung, “The assessment of tobacco dependence in young users of smokeless tobacco,” Tobacco Control, vol. 21, pp. 471–476, 2012.
- J. R. DiFranza and W. W. S. A. Ursprung, “The latency to the onset of nicotine withdrawal: a test of the sensitization-homeostasis theory,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1148–1153, 2008.
- W. W. S. A. Fernando, R. J. Wellman, and J. R. DiFranza, “The relationship between level of cigarette consumption and latency to the onset of retrospectively reported withdrawal symptoms,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 335–342, 2006.
- J. R. DiFranza, M. Sweet, J. Savageau, and W. W. S. Ursprung, “An evaluation of a clinical approach to staging tobacco addiction,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 159, no. 6, pp. 999–1003e1, 2011.
- J. R. DiFranza, W. W. S. Ursprung, and A. Carson, “New insights into the compulsion to use tobacco from an adolescent case-series,” Journal of Adolescence, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 209–214, 2010.
- J. R. DiFranza, R. J. Wellman, R. Mermelstein et al., “The natural history and diagnosis of nicotine addiction,” Current Pediatric Reviews, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 88–96, 2011.
- J. R. DiFranza, R. J. Wellman, and J. A. Savageau, “Does progression through the stages of physical addiction indicate increasing overall addiction to tobacco?” Psychopharmacology, vol. 219, pp. 815–822, 2012.
- W. W. Sanouri Ursprung, J. A. Savageau, and J. R. Difranza, “What is the significance of experiencing relaxation in response to the first use of nicotine,” Addiction Research and Theory, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2011.
- J. R. Difranza, W. W. S. Ursprung, and L. Biller, “The developmental sequence of tobacco withdrawal symptoms of wanting, craving and needing,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 494–497, 2012.
- X. L. Meng, R. Rosenthal, and D. B. Rubin, “Comparing correlated correlation coefficients,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 172–175, 1992.
- M. E. Piper, D. E. McCarthy, and T. B. Baker, “Assessing tobacco dependence: a guide to measure evaluation and selection,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 339–351, 2006.
- W. W. S. A. Ursprung, P. Morello, B. Gershenson, and J. R. DiFranza, “Development of a measure of the latency to needing a cigarette,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 338–343, 2011.
- T. Baker, M. Piper, D. McCarthy et al., “Time to first cigarette in the morning as an index of ability to quit smoking: implications for nicotine dependence,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 9, supplement 4, pp. 555–570, 2007.
- S. D. Gosling, S. Vazire, S. Srivastava, and O. P. John, “Should we trust web-based studies?: a comparative analysis of six preconceptions about internet questionnaires,” American Psychologist, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 93–104, 2004.
- U. D. Reips, “Standards for Internet-based experimenting,” Experimental Psychology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 243–256, 2002.
- D. E. Ramo, S. M. Hall, and J. J. Prochaska, “Reliability and validity of self-reported smoking in an anonymous online survey with young adults,” Health Psychology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 693–701, 2011.
- M. E. Piper, D. E. McCarthy, D. M. Bolt et al., “Assessing dimensions of nicotine dependence: an evaluation of the Nicotine Dependence Syndrome Scale (NDSS) and the Wisconsin Inventory of Smoking Dependence Motives (WISDM),” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1009–1020, 2008.
- S. Shiffman and M. A. Sayette, “Validation of the nicotine dependence syndrome scale (NDSS): a criterion-group design contrasting chippers and regular smokers,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2005.