- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 930901, 10 pages
The Value of Peer Learning in Undergraduate Nursing Education: A Systematic Review
Monash University, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Berwick Campus, 100 Clyde Road, Berwick 3806, Australia
Received 23 December 2012; Accepted 9 February 2013
Academic Editors: L. H. Beebe and M. M. Funnell
Copyright © 2013 Robyn Stone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Iwasiw, D. Goldenderg, and M. A. Andrusyszyn, Curriculum Development in Nursing Education, Jones & Bartlett, Boston, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- M. Banning, “Approaches to teaching: current opinions and related research,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 502–508, 2005.
- S. Paterson and R. Stone, “Educational leadership beyond behaviourism, the lessons we have learnt from art education,” Australian Art Education, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 76–83, 2006.
- V. Parkin, “Peer education: the nursing experience,” Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 257–264, 2006.
- J. Secomb, “A systematic review of peer teaching and learning in clinical education,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 703–716, 2008.
- L. D. Owens and D. J. Walden, “Peer instruction in the learning laboratory: a strategy to decrease student anxiety,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 375–377, 2001.
- M. Goldsmith, L. Stewart, and L. Ferguson, “Peer learning partnership: an innovative strategy to enhance skill acquisition in nursing students,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 123–130, 2006.
- S. Blowers, P. Ramsey, C. Merriman, and J. Grooms, “Patterns of peer tutoring in nursing,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 204–211, 2003.
- H. Yuan, B. A. Williams, and L. Fan, “A systematic review of selected evidence on developing nursing students' critical thinking through problem-based learning,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 657–663, 2008.
- A. J. Neville, “Problem-based learning and medical education forty years on: a review of its effects on knowledge and clinical performance,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- D. Nestel and J. Kidd, “Peer tutoring in patient-centred interviewing skills: experience of a project for first-year students,” Medical Teacher, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 398–403, 2003.
- H. T. Allan, P. A. Smith, and M. Lorentzon, “Leadership for learning: a literature study of leadership for learning in clinical practice,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 545–555, 2008.
- D. Shipman and J. Hooten, “Without enough nurse educators there will be a continual decline in RNs and the quality of nursing care: contending with the faculty shortage,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 521–523, 2008.
- J. Green, “Peer education,” Promotion & Education, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 65–68, 2001.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, “Cochrane Handbook for systematic reviews of interventions: The Cochrane Collaboration,” 2009, http://www.cochrane-handbook.org/.
- The National Health and Medical Research Council, NHMRC Additional Levels of Evidence and Grades for Recommendations for Developers of Guidelines. Stage 2 Consultation, The Australian Government, Parkes ACT, Australia, 2009.
- Public Health Resource Unit, “Critical Appraisal Skills Programme Making sense of evidence, 10 questions to help you make sense of reviews,” 2006, http://www.phru.nhs.uk/Doc_Links/S.Reviews%20Appraisal%20Tool.pdf.
- D. Roberts, “Learning in clinical practice: the importance of peers,” Nursing Standard, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 35–41, 2008.
- A. Christiansen and A. Bell, “Peer learning partnerships: exploring the experience of pre-registration nursing students,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5-6, pp. 803–810, 2010.
- L. K. Daley, E. Menke, B. Kirkpatrick, and D. Sheets, “Partners in practice: a win-win model for clinical education,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 30–32, 2008.
- B. Higgins, “Relationship between retention and peer tutoring for at-risk students,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 319–321, 2004.
- C. F. Lin, M. S. Lu, C. C. Chung, and C. M. Yang, “A comparison of problem-based learning and conventional teaching in nursing ethics education,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 373–382, 2010.
- A. Y. Loke and F. L. W. Chow, “Learning partnership-the experience of peer tutoring among nursing students: a qualitative study,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 237–244, 2007.
- S. K. Broscious and D. J. Saunders, “Peer coaching,” Nurse Educator, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 212–214, 2001.
- M. Horne, K. Woodhead, L. Morgan, L. Smithies, D. Megson, and G. Lyte, “Using enquiry in learning: from vision to reality in higher education,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 103–112, 2007.
- D. Morris and P. Turnbull, “Using student nurses as teachers in inquiry-based learning,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 136–144, 2004.
- M. Cooke and K. Moyle, “Students' evaluation of problem-based learning,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 330–339, 2002.
- C. Ozturk, G. K. Muslu, and A. Dicle, “A comparison of problem-based and traditional education on nursing students' critical thinking dispositions,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 627–632, 2008.
- E. Rideout, V. England-Oxford, B. Brown et al., “A comparison of problem-based and conventional curricula in nursing education,” Advances in Health Sciences Education, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 3–17, 2002.
- H. M. Siu, H. K. Spence Laschinger, and E. Vingilis, “The effect of problem-based learning on nursing students' perceptions of empowerment,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 459–469, 2005.
- A. Tiwari, P. Lai, M. So, and K. Yuen, “A comparison of the effects of problem-based learning and lecturing on the development of students' critical thinking,” Medical Education, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 547–554, 2006.
- C. E. Feingold, M. D. Cobb, R. Hernandez Givens, J. Arnold, S. Joslin, and J. L. Keller, “Student perceptions of team learning in nursing education,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 214–222, 2008.
- B. Christiansen and K. Jensen, “Emotional learning within the framework of nursing education,” Nurse Education in Practice, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 328–334, 2008.
- B. Jolly, “Control and validity in medical educational research,” Medical Education, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 920–921, 2001.
- L. C. Hughes, P. Romick, M. K. Sandor et al., “Evaluation of an informal peer group experience on baccalaureate nursing students' emotional well-being and professional socialization,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 2003.
- L. T. Adams, “Nursing shortage solutions and America's economic recovery,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 30, no. 6, p. 349, 2009.
- P. Benner, “Using the dreyfus model of skill acquisition to describe and interpret skill acquisition and clinical judgment in nursing practice and education,” Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 188–199, 2004.
- J. M. Parr and M. A. R. Townsend, “Environments, processes, and mechanisms in peer learning,” International Journal of Educational Research, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 403–423, 2002.
- I. A. G. Wilkinson, “Peer influences on learning: where are they?” International Journal of Educational Research, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 395–401, 2002.
- L. S. Vygotsky, Biological and Social Factors in Education. Educational Psychology, St. Lucie Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1997.
- L. Aston and A. Molassiotis, “Supervising and supporting student nurses in clinical placements: the peer support initiative,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 202–210, 2003.
- B. Sinclair and K. Ferguson, “Integrating simulated teaching/learning strategies in undergraduate nursing education,” International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, vol. 6, no. 1, p. 7, 2009.
- P. M. Casey, D. Magrane, and T. G. Lesnick, “Improved performance and student satisfaction after implementation of a problem-based preclinical obstetrics and gynecology curriculum,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 193, no. 5, pp. 1874–1878, 2005.
- W. El Ansari and R. Oskrochi, “What matters most? Predictors of student satisfaction in public health educational courses,” Public Health, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 462–473, 2006.
- M. J. Eisen, “Peer-based professional development viewed through the lens of transformative learning,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 2001.
- L. Bensfield, P. A. Solari-Twadell, and S. Sommer, “The use of peer leadership to teach fundamental nursing skills,” Nurse Educator, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 155–158, 2008.
- L. McKenna and J. French, “A step ahead: teaching undergraduate students to be peer teachers,” Nurse Education in Practice, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 141–145, 2011.
- D. Nestel and J. Kidd, “Peer assisted learning in patient-centred interviewing: the impact on student tutors,” Medical Teacher, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 439–444, 2005.
- R. Duggan, “A little help from your PALs,” Nursing Standard, vol. 14, no. 38, p. 55, 2000.
- J. E. Duchscher, “Peer learning: a clinical teaching strategy to promote active learning,” Nurse Educator, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 59–60, 2001.
- S. Dennison, “Peer mentoring: untapped potential,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 340–342, 2010.