- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 935796, 5 pages
Fine-Needle Aspiration Cytology Can Play a Role in Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Operable Breast Cancer
Departments of Biopathology and Medical Oncology, Institut Jean-Godinot-Unicancer, 51726 Reims Cedex, France
Received 19 May 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editors: N. A. Franken, S. Mohanam, C. Perez, and S. Ran
Copyright © 2013 Christian Garbar and Hervé Curé. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Denkert, B. V. Sinn, Y. Issa et al., “Prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: new biomarker approaches and concepts,” Breast Care, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 265–272, 2011.
- M. Rosa, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: a historical overview,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 773–775, 2008.
- F. Feoli, M. Paesmans, and P. Van Eeckhout, “Fine needle aspiration cytology of the breast: impact of experience on accuracy, using standardized cytologic criteria,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2008.
- R. K. Gupta, S. Naran, A. Buchanan, R. Fauck, and J. Simpson, “Fine-needle aspiration cytology of breast: its impact on surgical practice with an emphasis on the diagnosis of breast abnormalities in young women,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 206–209, 1988.
- L. E. M. Duijm, J. H. Groenewoud, R. M. H. Roumen, H. J. De Koning, M. L. Plaisier, and J. Fracheboud, “A decade of breast cancer screening in the Netherlands: trends in the preoperative diagnosis of breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2007.
- M. Bilous, “Breast core needle biopsy: issues and controversies,” Modern Pathology, vol. 23, no. 2, supplement, pp. S36–S45, 2010.
- W. Bruening, J. Fontanarosa, K. Tipton, J. R. Treadwell, J. Launders, and K. Schoelles, “Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of core-needle and open surgical biopsy to diagnose breast lesions,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 238–246, 2010.
- J. F. Nasuti, P. K. Gupta, and Z. W. Baloch, “Diagnostic value and cost-effectiveness of on-site evaluation of fine-needle aspiration specimens: review of 5,688 cases,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2002.
- P.-L. Liew, T.-J. Liu, M.-C. Hsieh et al., “Rapid staining and immediate interpretation of fine-needle aspiration cytology for palpable breast lesions: diagnostic accuracy, mammographic, ultrasonographic and histopathologic correlations,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 30–37, 2010.
- M. H. Bukhari, M. Arshad, S. Jamal et al., “Use of fine-needle aspiration in evaluation of breast lumps,” Pathology Research International, vol. 2011, Article ID 689521, 10 pages, 2011.
- M. Rosa, A. Mohammadi, and S. Masood, “The value of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and prognostic assessment of palpable breast lesions,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2012.
- Y.-H. Yu, W. Wei, and J.-L. Liu, “Diagnostic value of fine-needle aspiration biopsy for breast mass: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” BMC Cancer, vol. 12, article 41, 2012.
- R. J. Jackman, F. A. Marzoni Jr., and J. Rosenberg, “False-negative diagnoses at stereotactic vacuum-assisted needle breast biopsy: long-term follow-up of 1,280 lesions and review of the literature,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 341–351, 2009.
- S. Masood, “Expanded role of cytopathology in breast cancer diagnosis, therapy and research: the impact of fine needle aspiration biopsy and imprint cytology,” Breast Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2012.
- B. Kooistra, C. Wauters, and L. Strobbe, “Indeterminate breast fine-needle aspiration: repeat aspiration or core needle biopsy?” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 281–284, 2009.
- S. M. Willems, C. H. M. Van Deurzen, and P. J. Van Diest, “Diagnosis of breast lesions: fine-needle aspiration cytology or core needle biopsy? A review,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 287–292, 2012.
- R. Yamaguchi, S.-I. Tsuchiya, T. Koshikawa et al., “Comparison of the accuracy of breast cytological diagnosis at seven institutions in Southern Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2012.
- S. Veneti, D. Daskalopoulou, S. Zervoudis, E. Papasotiriou, and L. Ioannidou-Mouzaka, “Liquid-based cytology in breast fine needle aspiration: comparison with the conventional smear,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 188–192, 2003.
- P. Konofaos, K. Kontzoglou, J. Georgoulakis et al., “The role of ThinPrep cytology in the evaluation of estrogen and progesterone receptor content of breast tumors,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 257–266, 2006.
- E. Vigliar, I. Cozzolino, L. V. S. Fernandez et al., “Fine-needle cytology and flow cytometry assessment of reactive and lymphoproliferative processes of the breast,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 130–138, 2012.
- A. M. Domanski, N. Monsef, H. A. Domanski, D. Grabau, and M. Ferno, “Comparison of the oestrogen and progesterone receptors status in primary breast carcinomas as evaluated by immunohistochemistry and immunocytochemistry: a consecutive series of 267 patients,” Cytopathology, vol. 12, pp. 1365–2303, 2012.
- S. E. Monaco, Y. Wu, L. A. Teot, and G. Cai, “Assessment of estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status in the fine needle aspirates of metastatic breast carcinomas,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 308–315, 2013.
- T. Sauer, K. Ebeltoff, M. K. Pedersen, and R. Karesen, “Liquid based material from fine needle aspirates from breast carcinomas offers the possibility of long-time storage without significant loss of immunoreactivity of estrogen and progesterone receptors,” CytoJournal, vol. 31, pp. 7–24, 2010.
- J. Ferguson, P. Chamberlain, H. M. Cramer, and H. H. Wu, “ER, PR, HER2 immunocytochemistry on cell-transferred cytologic smears of primary and metastatic breast carcinomas: a comparison study with formalin-fixed cell blocks and surgical biopsies,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 575–581, 2013.
- A. Shabaik, G. Lin, M. Peterson et al., “Reliability of Her2/neu, estrogen receptor, and progesterone receptor testing by immunohistochemistry on cell block of FNA and serous effusions from patients with primary and metastatic breast carcinoma,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 328–332, 2011.
- S. C. Seferina, M. Nap, F. van den Berkmortel, J. Wals, A. C. Voogd, and V. C. Tian-Heijnene, “Reliability of receptor assessment on core needle biopsy in breast cancer patients,” Tumour Biology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 987–994, 2013.
- M. D. Kinsella, G. G. Birdsong, M. T. Siddiqui, C. Cohen, and K. Z. Handley, “Immunohistochemical detection of estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 in formalin-fixed breast carcinoma cell block preparations: correlation of result to corresponding tissue block samples,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 192–198, 2013.
- E. Beraki and T. Sauer, “Determination of Her2 status on FNAC material from breast carcinomas using in situ hybridization with dual chromogen visualisation with silver enhancement (dual SISH),” CytoJournal, vol. 7, article 21, 2010.
- A. M. Bofin, B. Ytterhus, C. Martin, J. J. O'Leary, and B. M. Hagmar, “Detection and quantitation of HER-2 gene amplification and protein expression in breast carcinoma,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 110–119, 2004.
- A. C. Ladd, E. O'Sullivan-Mejia, T. Lea et al., “Preservation of fine-needle aspiration specimens for future use in RNA-based molecular testing,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 102–110, 2011.
- C. Uzan, F. Andre, V. Scott et al., “Fine-needle aspiration for nucleic acid-ased molecular analyses in breast cancer,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2009.
- S. J. Shin, B. Chen, E. Hyjek, and M. Vazquez, “Immunocytochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization in HER-2/neu status in cell block preparations,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 552–557, 2007.
- M. C. Chang, P. Crystal, and T. J. Colgan, “The evolving role of axillary lymph node fine-needle aspiration in the management of carcinoma of the breast,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 328–334, 2011.
- A. Oz, F. Demirkazik, M. Akpinar, I. Soygur, S. Onder, and A. Uner, “Efficiency of ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology in preoperative assessment of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer,” Journal of Breast Cancer, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 2012.
- T. Sauer and V. Suciu, “The role of preoperative axillary lymph node fine needle aspiration in locoregional staging of breast cancer,” Annales de Pathologie, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. e24–e28, 2012.