- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 941269, 5 pages
Optimal Planning Target Volume Margins for Elective Pelvic Lymphatic Radiotherapy in High-Risk Prostate Cancer Patients
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Hazelrig-Salter Radiation Oncology Center,
Birmingham, AL 335294-0007, USA
Received 8 January 2013; Accepted 4 February 2013
Academic Editors: S. Holdenrieder, L. Mutti, R. Nahta, R. V. Sionov, and K. Sonoda
Copyright © 2013 Benjamin K. Hinton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. F. Gleason, G. T. Mellinger, and L. J. Ardving, “Prediction of prognosis for prostatic adenocarcinoma by combined histological grading and clinical staging,” Journal of Urology, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 1974.
- G. E. Hanks, T. F. Pajak, A. Porter et al., “Phase III trial of long-term adjuvant androgen deprivation after neoadjuvant hormonal cytoreduction and radiotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the prostate: the radiation therapy oncology group protocol 92-02,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 3972–3978, 2003.
- A. V. D'Amico, J. Manola, M. Loffredo, A. A. Renshaw, A. DellaCroce, and P. W. Kantoff, “6-Month androgen suppression plus radiation therapy vs radiation therapy alone for patients with clinically localized prostate cancer: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 7, pp. 821–827, 2004.
- M. Roach 3rd, M. DeSilvio, C. Lawton et al., “Phase III trial comparing whole-pelvic versus prostate-only radiotherapy and neoadjuvant versus adjuvant combined androgen suppression,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1904–1911, 2003.
- C. A. Lawton, M. DeSilvio, M. Roach 3rd, et al., “An update of the phase III trial comparing whole pelvic to prostate only radiotherapy and neoadjuvant to adjuvant total androgen suppression: updated analysis of RTOG 94-13, with emphasis on unexpected hormone/radiation interactions,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 646–655, 2007.
- C. Thilmann, S. Nill, T. Tücking et al., “Correction of patient positioning errors based on in-line cone beam CTs: clinical implementation and first experiences,” Radiation Oncology, vol. 1, no. 1, article 16, 2006.
- C. E. Noel, L. Santanam, J. R. Olsen, K. W. Baker, and P. J. Parikh, “An automated method for adaptive radiation therapy for prostate cancer patients using continuous fiducial-based tracking,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 65–82, 2010.
- A. A. Martinez, D. Yan, D. Lockman et al., “Improvement in dose escalation using the process of adaptive radiotherapy combined with three-dimensional conformal or intensity-modulated beams for prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1226–1234, 2001.
- R. K. Ten Haken and T. S. Lawrence, “The clinical application of intensity-modulated radiation therapy,” Seminars in Radiation Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 224–231, 2006.
- A. L. Zietman, M. L. DeSilvio, J. D. Slater et al., “Comparison of conventional-dose vs high-dose conformal radiation therapy in clinically localized adenocarcinoma of the prostate: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 10, pp. 1233–1239, 2005.
- H. A. Shih, M. Harisinghani, A. L. Zietman, J. A. Wolfgang, M. Saksena, and R. Weissleder, “Mapping of nodal disease in locally advanced prostate cancer: rethinking the clinical target volume for pelvic nodal irradiation based on vascular rather than bony anatomy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1262–1269, 2005.
- C. A. F. Lawton, J. Michalski, I. El-Naqa et al., “RTOG GU radiation oncology specialists reach consensus on pelvic lymph node volumes for high-risk prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 383–387, 2009.
- A. Wang-Chesebro, P. Xia, J. Coleman, C. Akazawa, and M. Roach, “Intensity-modulated radiotherapy improves lymph node coverage and dose to critical structures compared with three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy in clinically localized prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 654–662, 2006.
- A. Pollack, G. K. Zagars, L. G. Smith et al., “Preliminary results of a randomized radiotherapy dose-escalation study comparing 70 Gy with 78 Gy for prostate cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 23, pp. 3904–3911, 2000.
- J. A. Lyons, P. A. Kupelian, D. S. Mohan, C. A. Reddy, and E. A. Klein, “Importance of high radiation doses (72 Gy or greater) in the treatment of stage T1-T3 adenocarcinoma of the prostate,” Urology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2000.
- R. McCammon, K. E. Rusthoven, B. Kavanagh, S. Newell, F. Newman, and D. Raben, “Toxicity assessment of pelvic intensity-modulated radiotherapy with hypofractionated simultaneous integrated boost to prostate for intermediate and high-risk prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 413–420, 2009.
- H. A. McNair, S. A. Mangar, J. Coffey et al., “A comparison of CT- and ultrasound-based imaging to localize the prostate for external beam radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 678–687, 2006.
- C. Beltran, M. G. Herman, and B. J. Davis, “Planning target margin calculations for prostate radiotherapy based on intrafraction and interfraction motion using four localization methods,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 289–295, 2008.
- A. Hsu, T. Pawlicki, G. Luxton, W. Hara, and C. R. King, “A study of image-guided intensity-modulated radiotherapy with fiducials for localized prostate cancer including pelvic lymph nodes,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 898–902, 2007.
- P. J. Rossi, E. Schreibmann, A. B. Jani, V. A. Master, and P. A. S. Johnstone, “Boost first, eliminate systematic error, and individualize CTV to PTV margin when treating lymph nodes in high-risk prostate cancer,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 353–358, 2009.