- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 942590, 10 pages
Production of Alkaline Protease by Solvent-Tolerant Alkaliphilic Bacillus circulans MTCC 7942 Isolated from Hydrocarbon Contaminated Habitat: Process Parameters Optimization
1Department of Microbiology, R. C. Patel Arts, Commerce and Science College, Shirpur 425 405, India
2School of Life Sciences, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon 425 001, India
Received 19 September 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editors: B. Penke and W. Sattler
Copyright © 2013 Ulhas Patil and Ambalal Chaudhari. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Marketwire, 2012, http://www.marketwired.com/.
- R. Gupta, Q. Beg, and P. Lorenz, “Bacterial alkaline proteases: molecular approaches and industrial applications,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 15–32, 2002.
- J. Eichler, “Biotechnological uses of archaeal extremozymes,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 261–278, 2001.
- F. Bordusa, “Proteases in organic synthesis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 4817–4867, 2002.
- M. N. Gupta and I. Roy, “Enzymes in organic media: forms, functions and applications,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 271, no. 13, pp. 2575–2583, 2004.
- H. J. Heipieper, G. Neumann, S. Cornelissen, and F. Meinhardt, “Solvent-tolerant bacteria for biotransformations in two-phase fermentation systems,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 961–973, 2007.
- A. Gupta and S. K. Khare, “A protease stable in organic solvents from solvent tolerant strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 15, pp. 1788–1793, 2006.
- R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, S. Mahamad, A. B. Salleh, and M. Basri, “A new organic solvent tolerant protease from Bacillus pumilus 115b,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 509–517, 2007.
- K. K. Doddapaneni, R. Tatineni, R. N. Vellanki et al., “Purification and characterization of a solvent and detergent-stable novel protease from Bacillus cereus,” Microbiological Research, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 383–390, 2009.
- U. Patil and A. Chaudhari, “Optimal production of alkaline protease from solvent-tolerant alkalophilic Pseudomonas aeruginosa MTCC 7926,” Indian Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 329–339, 2011.
- A. Badoei-Dalfard and Z. Karami, “Screening and isolation of an organic solvent tolerant-protease from Bacillus sp. JER02: activity optimization by response surface methodology,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 15–23, 2013.
- J. Sambrook, E. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- H. Ogino, K. Yasui, T. Shiotani, T. Ishihara, and H. Ishikawa, “Organic solvent-tolerant bacterium which secretes an organic solvent- stable proteolytic enzyme,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 4258–4262, 1995.
- T. Nakanishi, Y. Matsumura, N. Minamiura, and T. Yamamoto, “Action and specificity of Streptomyes alkalophilic proteinase,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 1974.
- O. Lowry, N. Rosebrough, V. Farr, and R. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- V. Riis, D. Miethe, and W. Babel, “Degradation of refinery products and oils from polluted sites by the autochthonous microorganisms of contaminated and pristine soils,” Microbiological Research, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 323–330, 1995.
- J. Wyszkowska and J. Kucharski, “Correlation between number of microbes and degree of soil contamination by petrol,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 175–181, 2001.
- C. J. Hun, R. N. Z. A. Rahman, A. B. Salleh, and M. Basri, “A newly isolated organic solvent tolerant Bacillus sphaericus 205y producing organic solvent-stable lipase,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2003.
- A. Gupta, I. Roy, S. K. Khare, and M. N. Gupta, “Purification and characterization of a solvent stable protease from Pseudomonas aeruginosa PseA,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1069, no. 2, pp. 155–161, 2005.
- R. N. Z. A. Rahman, L. P. Geok, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “Physical factors affecting the production of organic solvent-tolerant protease by Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain K,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 429–436, 2005.
- U. Patil and A. Chaudhari, “Purification and characterization of solvent-tolerant, thermostable, alkaline metalloprotease from alkalophilic Pseudomonas aeruginosa MTCC 7926,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1255–1262, 2009.
- S. Isken, A. Derks, P. F. G. Wolffs, and J. A. M. De Bont, “Effect of organic solvents on the yield of solvent-tolerant Pseudomonas putida S12,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 2631–2635, 1999.
- Y. N. Sardessai and S. Bhosle, “Industrial potential of organic solvent tolerant bacteria,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 655–660, 2004.
- H. Shimogaki, K. Takeuchi, T. Nishino et al., “Purification and properties of a novel surface-active agent- and alkaline-resistant protease from Bacillus sp. Y,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2251–2258, 1991.
- R. Sareen and P. Mishra, “Purification and characterization of organic solvent stable protease from Bacillus licheniformis RSP-09-37,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 399–405, 2008.
- W. Fang, J. Feng, Y. Fan et al., “Expressing a fusion protein with protease and chitinase activities increases the virulence of the insect pathogen Beauveria bassiana,” Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 155–159, 2009.
- S. Sen and T. Satyanarayana, “Optimization of alkaline protease production by thermophilic Bacillus licheniformis S-40,” Indian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 1993.
- H.-S. Joo, C. G. Kumar, G.-C. Park, K. T. Kim, S. R. Paik, and C.-S. Chang, “Optimization of the production of an extracellular alkaline protease from Bacillus horikoshii,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 155–159, 2002.
- Y. Takii, N. Kuriyama, and Y. Suzuki, “Alkaline serine protease produced from citric acid by Bacillus alcalophilus subsp. halodurans KP 1239,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 1990.
- N. Fujiwara, K. Yamamoto, and A. Masui, “Utilization of a thermostable alkaline protease from an alkalophilic thermophile for the recovery of silver from used X-ray film,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 306–308, 1991.
- A. Gessesse, R. Hatti-Kaul, B. A. Gashe, and B. Mattiasson, “Novel alkaline proteases from alkaliphilic bacteria grown on chicken feather,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 519–524, 2003.
- A. Gessesse, “The use of nug meal as a low-cost substrate for the production of alkaline protease by the alkaliphilic Bacillus sp. AR-009 and some properties of the enzyme,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 59–61, 1997.
- S. S. Mabrouk, A. M. Hashem, N. M. A. El-Shayeb, A.-M. S. Ismail, and A. F. Abdel-Fattah, “Optimization of alkaline protease productivity by Bacillus licheniformis ATCC 21415,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 155–159, 1999.
- S.-H. Moon and S. J. Parulekar, “A parametric study of protease production in batch and fed-batch cultures of Bacillus firmus,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 467–483, 1991.
- W. Mao, R. Pan, and D. Freedman, “High production of alkaline protease by Bacillus licheniformis in a fed-batch fermentation using a synthetic medium,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1992.
- U. Hubner, U. Bock, and K. Schugerl, “Production of alkaline serine protease subtilisin Carlsberg by Bacillus licheniformis on complex medium in a stirred tank reactor,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 40, no. 2-3, pp. 182–188, 1993.
- S. Phadatare, M. C. Srinivasan, and M. Deshpande, “Evidence for the involvement of serine protease in the conidial discharge of Conidiobolus coronatus,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 47–49, 1989.
- H.-S. Joo and C.-S. Chang, “Production of an oxidant and SDS-stable alkaline protease from an alkaophilic Bacillus clausii I-52 by submerged fermentation: feasibility as a laundry detergent additive,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 176–183, 2006.
- K. Horikoshi and T. Akiba, Alkalophilic Microorganisms: A New Microbial World, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1982.
- H. Genckal and C. Tari, “Alkaline protease production from alkalophilic Bacillus sp. isolated from natural habitats,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 703–710, 2006.
- D. S. Chahal and S. K. Nanda, “Influence of the nature and concentration of calcium ions on production of activity of protease of Streptomyces spp,” Proceeding Indian Notational Science Academy, vol. 41, pp. 435–439, 1975.
- S. A. Ul Qadar, E. Shireen, S. Iqbal, and A. Anwar, “Optimization of protease production from newly isolated strain of Bacillus sp. PCSIR EA-3,” Indian Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 286–290, 2009.
- K. Peek, R. M. Daniel, C. Monk, L. Parker, and T. Coolbear, “Purification and characterization of a thermostable proteinase isolated from Thermus sp. strain Rt41A,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 1035–1044, 1992.
- L. S. Engel, J. M. Hill, A. R. Caballero, L. C. Green, and R. J. O'Callaghan, “Protease IV, a unique extracellular protease and virulence factor from Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 27, pp. 16792–16797, 1998.
- J. Frankena, G. M. Koningstein, H. W. van Verseveld, and A. H. Stouthamer, “Effect of different limitations in chemostat cultures on growth and production of exocellular protease by Bacillus licheniformis,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 106–112, 1986.
- J. Votruba, J. Pazlarova, M. Dvorakova et al., “External factors involved in the regulation of synthesis of an extracellular proteinase in Bacillus megaterium: effect of temperature,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 352–357, 1991.
- A. Deng, J. Wu, Y. Zhang, G. Zhang, and T. Wen, “Purification and characterization of a surfactant-stable high-alkaline protease from Bacillus sp. B001,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 18, pp. 7100–7106, 2010.
- K. Jellouli, O. Ghorbel-Bellaaj, H. B. Ayed, L. Manni, R. Agrebi, and M. Nasri, “Alkaline-protease from Bacillus licheniformis MP1: purification, characterization and potential application as a detergent additive and for shrimp waste deproteinization,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1248–1256, 2011.
- P. Çalik, E. Bilir, G. Çalik, and T. H. Özdamar, “Influence of pH conditions on metabolic regulations in serine alkaline protease production by Bacillus licheniformis,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 685–697, 2002.
- R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “Thermostable alkaline protease from Bacillus stearothermophilus F1; nutritional factors affecting protease production,” Annals of Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 2003.
- R. S. Prakasham, C. Subba Rao, R. Sreenivas Rao, and P. N. Sarma, “Alkaline protease production by an isolated Bacillus circulans under solid-state fermentation using agroindustrial waste: process parameters optimization,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1380–1388, 2005.
- C. Subba Rao, T. Sathish, P. Ravichandra, and R. S. Prakasham, “Characterization of thermo- and detergent stable serine protease from isolated Bacillus circulans and evaluation of eco-friendly applications,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 262–268, 2009.
- C. A. Razak, S. W. Tang, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “Preliminary study on the production of extracellular protease from a newly isolated Bacillus sp. (no. 1) and the physical factors affecting its production,” Pertanika Journal of Science & Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 169–177, 1997.
- A. Haddar, N. Fakhfakh-Zouari, N. Hmidet, F. Frikha, M. Nasri, and A. S. Kamoun, “Low-cost fermentation medium for alkaline protease production by Bacillus mojavensis A21 using hulled grain of wheat and sardinella peptone,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 288–294, 2010.
- S. Mehrotra, P. K. Pandey, R. Gaur, and N. S. Darmwal, “The production of alkaline protease by a Bacillus species isolate,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 201–203, 1999.
- S. Jasvir, N. Gill, G. Devasahayam, and D. K. Sahoo, “Studies on alkaline protease produced by Bacillus sp. NG312,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1999.