- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 972601, 6 pages
Efficacy of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for the Treatment of Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
1Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2Department of Urology, Isfahan Urology and Kidney Transplantation Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Unit 10, No. 22, 16th Alley, Shams Abadi Street, Isfahan 81347-44134, Iran
3Department of Urology, Hasheminejad Kidney Center (HKC), Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), Tehran, Iran
Received 24 May 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editors: P.-L. Chang, A. Natali, and A. C. Thorpe
Copyright © 2013 Babak Vahdatpour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Nickel, “Classification and diagnosis of prostatitis: a gold standard?” Andrologia, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 160–167, 2003.
- D. A. Shoskes, R. Berger, A. Elmi, J. R. Landis, K. J. Propert, and S. Zeitlin, “Muscle tenderness in men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: the chronic prostatitis cohort study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 556–560, 2008.
- M. Marszalek, I. Berger, and S. Madersbacher, “Low-energy extracorporeal shock wave therapy for chronic pelvic pain syndrome: finally, the magic bullet?” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 425–426, 2009.
- A. Mehik, P. Hellström, O. Lukkarinen, A. Sarpola, and M.-R. Järvelin, “Epidemiology of prostatitis in Finnish men: a population-based cross-sectional study,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 443–448, 2000.
- J. C. Nickel, A. J. Schaeffer, J. E. Fowler Jr. et al., “Clinical evaluation of the man with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome,” Urology, vol. 60, no. 6, supplement, pp. 20–23, 2002.
- R. Zimmermann, A. Cumpanas, L. Hoeltl, G. Janetschek, A. Stenzl, and F. Miclea, “Extracorporeal shock-wave therapy for treating chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a feasibility study and the first clinical results,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 976–980, 2008.
- T. Anothaisintawee, J. Attia, J. C. Nickel et al., “Management of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a systematic review and network meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 305, no. 1, pp. 78–86, 2011.
- A. J. Schaeffer, “Epidemiology and evaluation of chronic pelvic pain syndrome in men,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. S108–S111, 2008.
- J. Walz, P. Perrotte, G. Hutterer et al., “Impact of chronic prostatitis-like symptoms on the quality of life in a large group of men,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1307–1311, 2007.
- J. A. Turner, S. Hauge, M. Von Korff, K. Saunders, M. Lowe, and R. Berger, “Primary care and urology patients with the male pelvic pain syndrome: symptoms and quality of life,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 4 I, pp. 1768–1773, 2002.
- D. A. Tripp, J. C. Nickel, J. R. Landis, L. W. Yan, and J. S. Knauss, “Predictors of quality of life and pain in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: findings from the National Institutes of Health Chronic Prostatitis Cohort Study,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1279–1282, 2004.
- M. A. Pontari and M. R. Ruggieri, “Mechanisms in prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 839–845, 2004.
- M. Marszalek, C. Wehrberger, C. Temml, A. Ponholzer, I. Berger, and S. Madersbacher, “Chronic pelvic pain and lower urinary tract symptoms in both sexes: analysis of 2749 participants of an urban health screening project,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 499–508, 2009.
- J. Q. Clemens, R. B. Nadler, A. J. Schaeffer, J. Belani, J. Albaugh, and W. Bushman, “Biofeedback, pelvic floor re-education, and bladder training for male chronic pelvic pain syndrome,” Urology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 951–955, 2000.
- D.-H. Zermann, M. Ishigooka, R. Doggweiler, and R. A. Schmidt, “Neurourological insights into the etiology of genitourinary pain in men,” Journal of Urology, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 903–908, 1999.
- J. C. Nickel, J. Downey, J. Clark et al., “Levofloxacin for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome in men: a randomized placebo-controlled multicenter trial,” Urology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 614–617, 2003.
- J. C. Nickel, J. N. Krieger, M. McNaughton-Collins et al., “Alfuzosin and symptoms of chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 25, pp. 2663–2673, 2008.
- G. Giubilei, N. Mondaini, A. Minervini et al., “Physical activity of men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome not satisfied with conventional treatments—could it represent a valid option? The physical activity and male pelvic pain trial: a double-blind, randomized study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 159–165, 2007.
- J. C. Nickel and R. Sorensen, “Transurethral microwave thermotherapy for nonbacterial prostatitis: a randomized double-blind sham controlled study using new prostatitis specific assessment questionnaires,” Journal of Urology, vol. 155, no. 6, pp. 1950–1955, 1996.
- R. Zimmermann, A. Cumpanas, F. Miclea, and G. Janetschek, “Extracorporeal shock wave therapy for the treatment of chronic pelvic pain syndrome in males: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study,” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 418–424, 2009.
- X. Yan, G. Yang, L. Cheng, et al., “Effect of extracorporeal shock wave therapy on diabetic chronic wound healing and its histological features,” Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 961–967, 2012.
- J. C. Nickel, L. M. Nyberg, and M. Hennenfent, “Research guidelines for chronic prostatitis: consensus report from the first National Institutes of Health International Prostatitis Collaborative Network,” Urology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 229–233, 1999.
- J. N. Krieger, L. Nyberg, and J. C. Nickel, “NIH consensus definition and classification of prostatitis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 3, pp. 236–237, 1999.
- J. A. Ogden, R. G. Alvarez, R. Levitt, and M. Marlow, “Shock wave therapy (Orthotripsy) in musculoskeletal disorders,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 387, pp. 22–40, 2001.
- J. A. Ogden, A. Tóth-Kischkat, and R. Schultheiss, “Principles of shock wave therapy,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 387, pp. 8–17, 2001.
- O. Krischek, C. Hopf, B. Nafe, and J.-D. Rompe, “Shock-wave therapy for tennis and golfer's elbow—1 year follow-up,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 119, no. 1-2, pp. 62–66, 1999.
- P. Manganotti and E. Amelio, “Long-term effect of shock wave therapy on upper limb hypertonia in patients affected by stroke,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1967–1971, 2005.
- R. Melzack and P. D. Wall, “Pain mechanisms: a new theory,” Science, vol. 150, no. 3699, pp. 971–979, 1965.
- C.-J. Wang, F.-S. Wang, K. D. Yang et al., “Shock wave therapy induces neovascularization at the tendon-bone junction. A study in rabbits,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 984–989, 2003.
- D. S. Malay, M. M. Pressman, A. Assili et al., “Extracorporeal shockwave therapy versus placebo for the treatment of chronic proximal plantar fasciitis: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, multicenter intervention trial,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 196–210, 2006.