- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 178498, 8 pages
Kinetic Characterization and Effect of Immobilized Thermostable β-Glucosidase in Alginate Gel Beads on Sugarcane Juice
1Department of Biochemistry, College of Basic Sciences and Humanities, G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology,
Pantnagar 263145, India
2Akal School of Biotechnology, Eternal University, Baru Sahib, Sirmour 173101, India
Received 17 November 2013; Accepted 16 December 2013; Published 20 February 2014
Academic Editors: P. Maher and D. Stapleton
Copyright © 2014 Keerti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. R. Lynd, P. J. Weimer, W. H. van Zyl, and I. S. Pretorius, “Microbial cellulose utilization: fundamentals and biotechnology,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 506–577, 2002.
- M. Dashtban and W. Qin, “Overexpression of an exotic thermotolerant β-lucosidase in trichoderma reesei and its significant increase in cellulolytic activity and saccharification of barley straw,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 11, article 63, 2012.
- Y. Gueguen, P. Chemardin, P. Labrot, A. Arnaud, and P. Galzy, “Purification and characterization of an intracellular β-glucosidase from a new strain of Leuconostoc mesenteroides isolated from cassava,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 469–476, 1997.
- V. A. Marinos, M. E. Tate, and P. J. Williams, “Protocol for FAB MS/MS characterization of terpene disaccharides of wine,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 2486–2492, 1994.
- M. Roitner, T. Schalkhammer, and F. Pittner, “Characterisation of naringinase from Aspergillus niger,” Monatshefte für Chemie, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1255–1267, 1984.
- O. Shoseyov, B. A. Bravdo, D. Siegel et al., “Immobilized endo-β-glucosidase enriches flavor of wine and passion fruit juice,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1387–1390, 1990.
- J. Kaur, B. S. Chadha, B. A. Kumar, G. S. Kaur, and H. S. Saini, “Purification and characterization of β-glucosidase from Melanocarpus sp. MTCC 3922,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 260–270, 2007.
- A. Sunna, M. Moracci, M. Rossi, and G. Antranikian, “Glycosyl hydrolases from hyperthermophiles,” Extremophiles, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–13, 1997.
- A. Illanes, Enzyme Biocatalysis: Principles and Applications, Springer Science, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- L. W. Chan, H. Y. Lee, and P. W. S. Heng, “Production of alginate microspheres by internal gelation using an emulsification method,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 242, no. 1-2, pp. 259–262, 2002.
- O. Smidsrød and G. Skjåk-Braek, “Alginate as immobilization matrix for cells,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 71–78, 1990.
- M.-C. Chi, R.-C. Lyu, L.-L. Lin, and H.-B. Huang, “Characterization of Bacillus kaustophilus leucine aminopeptidase immobilized in Ca-alginate/k-carrageenan beads,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 376–382, 2008.
- A. Mittal, S. Khurana, H. Singh, and R. C. Kamboj, “Characterization of dipeptidylpeptidase IV (DPP IV) immobilized in Ca alginate beads,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 318–323, 2005.
- S. Mondal, Cloning and expression of thermostable β-glucosidase gene in E. Coli for cellobiose degradation [M.S. thesis], Department of Biochemistry, G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, India, 2010.
- M. D. Busto, N. Ortega, and M. Perez-Mateos, “Studies on microbial β-D-glucosidase immobilized in alginate gel beads,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 421–426, 1995.
- A. Martino, P. G. Pifferi, and G. Spagna, “Immobilization of β-glucosidase from a commercial preparation—part 2. Optimization of the immobilization process on chitosan,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 287–293, 1996.
- M. J. Somogyi, “Notes on sugar determination,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 1952.
- N. Ortega, M. D. Busto, and M. Perez-Mateos, “Optimisation of β-glucosidase entrapment in alginate and polyacrylamide gels,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 105–111, 1998.
- D. Jain and T. K. Ghose, “Cellobiose hydrolysis using Pichia etchellsii cells immobilized in calcium alginate,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 340–346, 1984.
- R. C. Kamboj, N. Raghav, N. Nandal, and H. Singh, “Properties of cathepsin B immobilized in calcium alginate beads,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 1996.
- E. Quiroga, C. O. Illanes, N. A. Ochoa, and S. Barberis, “Performance improvement of araujiain, a cystein phytoprotease, by immobilization within calcium alginate beads,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1029–1034, 2011.
- F. Sahin, G. Demirel, and H. Tümtürk, “A novel matrix for the immobilization of acetylcholinesterase,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 148–153, 2005.
- N. Munjal and S. K. Sawhney, “Stability and properties of mushroom tyrosinase entrapped in alginate, polyacrylamide and gelatin gels,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 613–619, 2002.
- E. Emregul, S. Sungur, and U. Akbulut, “Polyacrylamide-gelatine carrier system used for invertase immobilization,” Food Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 591–597, 2006.
- M.-Y. Chang and R.-S. Juang, “Activities, stabilities, and reaction kinetics of three free and chitosan-clay composite immobilized enzymes,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2005.
- M. A. P. Nunes, H. Vila-Real, P. C. B. Fernandes, and M. H. L. Ribeiro, “Immobilization of naringinase in PVA-alginate matrix using an innovative technique,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 160, no. 7, pp. 2129–2147, 2010.
- B. A. Caldwell, “Enzyme activities as a component of soil biodiversity: a review,” Pedobiologia, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 637–644, 2005.
- T. Sato, T. Mori, T. Tosa, and I. Chibata, “Studies on immobilized enzymes—IX. Preparation and properties of aminoacylase covalently attached to halogenoacetylcelluloses,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 788–796, 1971.
- J. Yan, G. Pan, C. Ding, and G. Quan, “Kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of β-glucosidase immobilized on various colloidal particles from a paddy soil,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 298–303, 2010.
- E. Su, T. Xia, L. Gao, Q. Dai, and Z. Zhang, “Immobilization of β-glucosidase and its aroma-increasing effect on tea beverage,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, vol. 88, no. 2-3, pp. 83–89, 2010.
- M. Y. Arica, N. G. Alaeddinoǧlu, and V. Hasirci, “Immobilization of glucoamylase onto activated pHEMA/EGDMA microspheres: properties and application to a packed-bed reactor,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 152–157, 1998.
- R. Erginer, L. Toppare, S. Alkan, and U. Bakir, “Immobilization of invertase in functionalized copolymer matrices,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 227–233, 2000.
- D.-S. Jiang, S.-Y. Long, J. Huang, H.-Y. Xiao, and J.-Y. Zhou, “Immobilization of Pycnoporus sanguineus laccase on magnetic chitosan microspheres,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2005.
- A. de Queiroz, E. Passes, S. Alves, G. Silva, O. Higa, and M. Vítolo, “Alginate-poly(vinyl alcohol) core-shell microspheres for lipase immobilization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 1553–1560, 2006.
- A. Yahşi, F. Şahin, G. Demirel, and H. Tümtürk, “Binary immobilization of tyrosinase by using alginate gel beads and poly(acrylamide-co-acrylic acid) hydrogels,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 253–258, 2005.
- P. Ye, Z.-K. Xu, J. Wu, C. Innocent, and P. Seta, “Nanofibrous poly(acrylonitrile-co-maleic acid) membranes functionalized with gelatin and chitosan for lipase immobilization,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 22, pp. 4169–4176, 2006.
- L. Bravo, “Polyphenols: chemistry, dietary sources, metabolism, and nutritional significance,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 317–333, 1998.
- C. Alasalvar, J. M. Grigor, D. Zhang, P. C. Quantick, and F. Shahidi, “Comparison of volatiles, phenolics, sugars, antioxidant vitamins, and sensory quality of different colored carrot varieties,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1410–1416, 2001.