- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 472546, 6 pages
Evaluation of the Efficacy of Topical Tetracycline in Enhancing the Effect of Narrow Band UVB against Vitiligo: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial
1Student Research Committee, Molecular Dermatology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
2Molecular Dermatology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Received 19 November 2013; Accepted 24 December 2013; Published 9 February 2014
Academic Editors: E. Alpsoy, D. Bayramgurler, and C. Feliciani
Copyright © 2014 Amir Kalafi and Farideh Jowkar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Habif, Clinical Dermatology, Mosby, Beijing, China, 5th edition, 2010.
- W. James, T. Berger, and D. Elston, Disease of the Skin, Saunders, Beijing, China, 11th edition, 2011.
- S. Moretti, A. Spallanzani, L. Amato et al., “New insights into the pathogenesis of vitiligo: imbalance of epidermal cytokines at sites of lesions,” Pigment Cell Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 2002.
- J. Ortonne and T. H. Passeron, “Vitiligo and other disorders of hypopigmentation,” in Dermatology, J. L. Bolognia, J. L. Jorrizo, and J. V. Schaffer, Eds., pp. 1023–1048, Elsevier, Beijing, China, 2012.
- S. Moretti, P. Fabbri, G. Baroni et al., “Keratinocyte dysfunction in vitiligo epidermis: cytokine microenvironment and correlation to keratinocyte apoptosis,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 849–857, 2009.
- C. R. Camara-Lemarroy and J. C. Salas-Alanis, “The role of tumor necrosis factor-a in the pathogenesis of vitiligo,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 343–350, 2013.
- F. Al-Harthi, A. Zouman, M. Arfin, M. Tariq, and A. Al-Asmari, “Tumor necrosis factor-a and -b genetic polymorphisms as a risk factor in Saudi patients with vitiligo,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 2196–2204, 2013.
- M. Salinas-Santander, D. Díaz-García, A. Rojas-Martínez et al., “Tumor necrosis factor-α -308G/A polymorphism is associated with active vitiligo vulgaris in a northeastern Mexican population,” Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 893–897, 2012.
- N. H. Kim, D. Torchia, P. Rouhani, B. Roberts, and P. Romanelli, “Tumor necrosis factor-α in vitiligo: direct correlation between tissue levels and clinical parameters,” Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 225–227, 2011.
- J. Leshl and C. Mcconnell, “Antimicrobial drugs,” in Dermatology, J. L. Bolognia, J. L. Jorrizo, and J. V. Schaffer, Eds., pp. 2105–2129, Elsevier, Beijing, China, 2012.
- E. Monk, A. Shalita, and D. M. Siegel, “Clinical applications of non-antimicrobial tetracyclines in dermatology,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 130–145, 2011.
- E. Adişen, Y. Kaymak, M. A. Gurer, and E. Durukan, “Topical tetracycline in the treatment of acne vulgaris,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 953–955, 2008.
- Y. Lv, Q. Li, L. Wang, and T. Gao, “Use of anti-tumor necrosis factor agents: a possible therapy for vitiligo,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 546–547, 2009.
- P. E. Grimes, R. Morris, E. Avaniss-Aghajani, T. Soriano, M. Meraz, and A. Metzger, “Topical tacrolimus therapy for vitiligo: therapeutic responses and skin messenger RNA expression of proinflammatory cytokines,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 52–61, 2004.
- C. Rodriguez-Cerdeira, E. Sanchez-Blanco, and A. Morales-Vila, “Clinical application of development of non antibiotic macrolides that correct inflammation-driven immune dysfunction in inflammatory skin diseases,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2012, Article ID 563709, 16 pages, 2012.
- N. C. Laddha, M. Dwivedi, and R. Begum, “Increased tumor necrosis factor(TNF)-a and its promoter polymorphisms correlate with disease progression and higher susceptibility towards vitiligo,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e52298, 2012.
- K. M. AlGhamdi, H. Khurrum, A. Taïeb, and K. Ezzedine, “Treatment of generalized vitiligo with anti-TNF-α agents,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 534–539, 2012.
- A. Campanati, K. Giuliodori, G. Ganzetti, G. Liberati, and A. M. Offidani, “A patient with Psoriasis and vitiligo treated with etanercept,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 46–48, 2010.
- S. A. Exarchou, P. V. Voulgari, T. E. Markatseli, A. Zioga, and A. A. Drosos, “Immune-mediated skin lesions in patients treated with anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha inhibitors,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 328–331, 2009.
- N.-H. Kim, S. Jeon, H.-J. Lee, and A.-Y. Lee, “Impaired PI3K/Akt activation-mediated NF-κB inactivation under elevated TNF-α is more vulnerable to apoptosis in vitiliginous keratinocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 11, pp. 2612–2617, 2007.
- J.-A. Simón and R. Burgos-Vargas, “Vitiligo improvement in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis treated with infliximab,” Dermatology, vol. 216, no. 3, pp. 234–235, 2008.