- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 486842, 8 pages
Ginsenosides in Commercial Ginseng Products Analyzed by Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry
1Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
2Western Region Laboratory, Regions and Programs Branch, British Columbia Region, Health Canada, 3155 Willingdon Green, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5G 4P2
Received 27 November 2013; Accepted 18 December 2013; Published 10 February 2014
Academic Editors: W. Lee and Z. Zhao
Copyright © 2014 Linda Uhr et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Kiefer and T. Pantuso, “Panax ginseng,” American Family Physician, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1539–1542, 2003.
- N. H. Tung, G. Y. Song, Y. J. Park, and Y. H. Kim, “Two new dammarane-type saponins from the leaves of Panax ginseng,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 1412–1414, 2009.
- S. Shibata, “Chemistry and cancer preventing activities of ginseng saponins and some related triterpenoid compounds,” Journal of Korean medical science, vol. 16, supplement, pp. S28–S37, 2001.
- M. K. Park, J. H. Park, S. B. Han, Y. G. Shin, and I. H. Park, “High-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of ginseng saponins using evaporative light scattering detection,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 736, no. 1-2, pp. 77–81, 1996.
- M. Blumenthal, G. K. L. Ferrier, and C. Cavaliere, “Total sales of herbal supplements in United States show steady growth,” Herbalgram, vol. 71, pp. 64–66, 2006.
- C. Blumenthal, A. Lindstrom, M. E. Lynch, and P. Rea, “Herb sales continue growth-up 3. 3% in 2010,” Herbalgram, vol. 90, pp. 64–67, 2011.
- A. S. Attele, J. A. Wu, and C.-S. Yuan, “Ginseng pharmacology: multiple constituents and multiple actions,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1685–1693, 1999.
- T. Ligor, A. Ludwiczuk, T. Wolski, and B. Buszewski, “Isolation and determination of ginsenosides in American ginseng leaves and root extracts by LC-MS,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 383, no. 7-8, pp. 1098–1105, 2005.
- Y. Nakaya, K. Mawatari, A. Takahashi, N. Harada, A. Hata, and S. Yasui, “The phytoestrogen ginsensoside Re activates potassium channels of vascular smooth muscle cells through PI3K/Akt and nitric oxide pathways,” Journal of Medical Investigation, vol. 54, no. 3-4, pp. 381–384, 2007.
- J.-T. Xie, S. R. Mehendale, X. Li et al., “Anti-diabetic effect of ginsenoside Re in ob/ob mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1740, no. 3, pp. 319–325, 2005.
- J.-T. Hwang, M.-S. Lee, H.-J. Kim et al., “Antiobesity effect of ginsenoside Rg3 involves the AMPK and PPAR-γ signal pathways,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 262–266, 2009.
- H.-Y. Kwon, E.-H. Kim, S.-W. Kim, S.-N. Kim, J.-D. Park, and D.-K. Rhee, “Selective toxicity of ginsenoside Rg3 on multidrug resistant cells by membrane fluidity modulation,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2008.
- Y. J. Lee, Y. R. Jin, W. C. Lim et al., “Ginsenoside-Rb1 acts as a weak phytoestrogen in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 58–63, 2003.
- D. D. Kitts, D. G. Popovich, and C. Hu, “Characterizing the mechanism for ginsenoside-induced cytotoxicity in cultured leukemia (THP-1) cells,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 1173–1183, 2007.
- M. R. Harkey, G. L. Henderson, M. E. Gershwin, J. S. Stern, and R. M. Hackman, “Variability in commercial ginseng products: an analysis of 25 preparations,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1101–1106, 2001.
- N. Fuzzati, “Analysis methods of ginsenosides,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 812, no. 1-2, pp. 119–133, 2004.
- M. J. Gray, D. Chang, Y. Zhang, J. Liu, and A. Bensoussan, “Development of liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry methods for the quantitative analysis of herbal medicine in biological fl uids: a review,” Biomedical Chromatography, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 2010.
- W. Chen, Y. Dang, and C. Zhu, “Simultaneous determination of three major bioactive saponins of Panax notoginseng using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and a pharmacokinetic study,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 5, article 12, 2010.
- W. Li, C. Gu, H. Zhang et al., “Use of high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry to distinguish Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer (Asian ginseng) and Panax quinquefolius L. (North American ginseng),” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 21, pp. 5417–5422, 2000.
- X. Wang, T. Sakuma, E. Asafu-Adjaye, and G. K. Shlu, “Determination of ginsenosides in plant extracts from Panax ginseng and Panax quinquefolius L. by LC/MS/MS,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 1579–1584, 1999.
- T. Qian, Z.-H. Jiang, and Z. Cai, “High-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry applied for metabolic study of ginsenoside Rb1 on rat,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 352, no. 1, pp. 87–96, 2006.
- D. N. Patel, H. S. Lin, and H. L. Koh, “Quantification of ginsenosides Rh4 and Rk3 in rat plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: application to a pre-clinical pharmacokinetic study,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 47, pp. 1510–1517, 2012.
- K. Li, X. Chen, J. Xu, X. Li, and D. Zhong, “Liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry for pharmacokinetic studies of 20(R)-ginsenoside Rg3 in dog,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 813–817, 2005.
- J. Zhao, C. Su, C. Yang et al., “Determination of ginsenosides Rb1, Rb2, and Rb3 in rat plasma by a rapid and sensitive liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method: application in a pharmacokinetic study,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 64-65, pp. 94–97, 2012.
- M. Stüber and T. Reemtsma, “Evaluation of three calibration methods to compensate matrix effects in environmental analysis with LC-ESI-MS,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 378, no. 4, pp. 910–916, 2004.
- W. R. Kelly, B. S. MacDonald, and W. F. Guthrie, “Gravimetric approach to the standard addition method in instrumental analysis. 1,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 80, no. 16, pp. 6154–6158, 2008.