- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 515898, 13 pages
Technoeconomic and Policy Analysis for Corn Stover Biofuels
Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, 403 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2056, USA
Received 31 October 2013; Accepted 12 December 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editors: J.-L. Hu, S. Managi, and J. Zarnikau
Copyright © 2014 Ryan Petter and Wallace E. Tyner. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. McCrone, E. Usher, O. V. Sonntag-'Brien, U. Moslener, and C. Grüning, “Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment,” United Nations Environment Programme, 2013, http://www.unep.org/pdf/GTR-UNEP-FS-BNEF2.pdf.
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, FY 2014 Budget Rollout. U.S. Department of Energy, 2013, http://www1.eere.energy.gov/office_eere/pdfs/budget/fy2014_eere_congressional_budget_request.pdf.
- Bioenergy Technologies Office, “Replacing the Whole Barrel To Reduce U.S. Dependence on Oil,” U.S. Department of Energy, 2013, https://www1.eere.energy.gov/bioenergy/pdfs/replacing_barrel_overview.pdf.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration, Annual Energy Outlook, 2013, http://www.eia.gov/aeo.
- Bioenergy Technologies Office, “US Billion-Ton Update: Biomass Supply for a Bioenergy and Bioproducts Industry,” U.S. Department of Energy, http://www1.eere.energy.gov/bioenergy/pdfs/billion_ton_update.pdf.
- R. Tristan Brown, R. Thilakaratne, R. C. Brown, and G. Hu, “Techno-economic analysis of biomass to transportation fuels and electricity via fast pyrolysis and hydroprocessing,” Fuel, vol. 106, pp. 463–469, 2013.
- S. B. Jones, C. Valkenburg, C. W. Walton, et al., “Production of gasoline and diesel from biomass via fast pyrolysis, hydrotreating and hydrocracking: a design case,” Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-18284rev1.pdf.
- R. P. Anex, A. Aden, F. K. Kazi et al., “Techno-economic comparison of biomass-to-transportation fuels via pyrolysis, gasification, and biochemical pathways,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 1, supplement, pp. S29–S35, 2010.
- S. B. Jones and J. L. Male, “Production of Gasoline and Diesel from Biomass via Fast Pyrolysis, Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking: 2011 State of Technology and Projections to 2017,” Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, http://www.pnnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-22133.pdf.
- A. V. Bridgwater, “Review of fast pyrolysis of biomass and product upgrading,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 38, pp. 68–94, 2012.
- T. Bridgwater, “Biomass for energy,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 1755–1768, 2006.
- S. Czernik and A. V. Bridgwater, “Overview of applications of biomass fast pyrolysis oil,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 590–598, 2004.
- D. Mohan, C. U. Pittman Jr., and P. H. Steele, “Pyrolysis of wood/biomass for bio-oil: a critical review,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 848–889, 2006.
- M. M. Wright, D. E. Daugaard, J. A. Satrio, and R. C. Brown, “Techno-economic analysis of biomass fast pyrolysis to transportation fuels,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 1, supplement, pp. S2–S10, 2010.
- R. Tristan Brown and R. C. Brown, “Techno-economics of advanced biofuels pathways,” RSC Advances, vol. 3, no. 17, pp. 5758–5764, 2013.
- T. Brown and G. Hu, “Technoeconomic sensitivity of biobased hydrocarbon production via fast pyrolysis to government incentive programs,” Journal of Energy Engineering, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 54–62, 2011.
- D. Meier, B. van de Beld, A. V. Bridgwaterorg, et al., “State-of-the-art of fast pyrolysis in IEA bioenergy member countries,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 20, pp. 619–641, 2013.
- C. E. Ridley, C. M. Clark, S. D. Leduc et al., “Biofuels: network analysis of the literature reveals key environmental and economic unknowns,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 1309–1315, 2012.
- W. E. Tyner, “Biofuels and agriculture: a past perspective and uncertain future,” International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 389–394, 2012.
- D. Rajagopal and D. Zilberman, “Review of Environmental, Economic and Policy Aspects of Biofuels,” Working Paper 4341, World Bank Policy Research, 2007.
- National Research Council, Renewable Fuel Standard: Potential Economic and Environmental Effects of US Biofuel Policy, National Academies Press, 2011.
- T. L. Richard, “Challenges in scaling up biofuels infrastructure,” Science, vol. 329, no. 5993, pp. 793–796, 2010.
- L. J. Snowden-Swan and J. L. Male, “Summary of Fast Pyrolysis and Upgrading GHG Analyses,” Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2012, http://www.pnnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-22175.pdf.
- T. Searchinger, R. Heimlich, R. A. Houghton et al., “Use of U.S. croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5867, pp. 1238–1240, 2008.
- W. E. Tyner, F. Taheripour, and D. Perkis, “Comparison of fixed versus variable biofuels incentives,” Energy Policy, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 5530–5540, 2010.
- W. Tyner, “Description of 2011 Biofuels Policy Alternatives,” Policy Briefs 1, Global Policy Research Institute (GPRI), 2011.
- W. E. Tyner, “The US ethanol and biofuels boom: its origins, current status, and future prospects,” BioScience, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 646–653, 2008.
- KiOR, “Technology,” 2013, http://www.kior.com/content/?s=11&t=Technology.
- D. Humbird, R. Davis, L. Tao, et al., “Process Design and Economics for Biochemical Conversion of Lignocellulosic Biomass to Ethanol: Dilute-Acid Pretreatment and Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Corn Stover,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2011, http://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/47764.pdf.
- National Research Council, Transitions to Alternative Transportation Technologies: A Focus on Hydrogen, National Academies Press, 2008.
- J. R. Bartels, M. B. Pate, and N. K. Olson, “An economic survey of hydrogen production from conventional and alternative energy sources,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, no. 16, pp. 8371–8384, 2010.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office, “Corporate Income Tax: Effective Tax Rates Can Differ Significantly from the Statutory Rate,” 2013, http://www.gao.gov/products/gao-13-520.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Producer Price Index-Commodities,” U.S. Department of Labor, 2013, http://www.bls.gov/ppi.
- S. Irwin and D. Good, “Farmdocdaily: What Combination of Corn and RINs Prices Makes E85 Competitive?” University of Illinois, http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2013/06/combination-corn-rins-prices-e85.html.