- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 521701, 10 pages
Stress and Grain Boundary Properties of GaN Films Prepared by Pulsed Laser Deposition Technique
1Department of Instrumentation Science, Jadavpur University, USIC Building, Calcutta 700 032, India
2UGC-DAE CSR, Kalpakkam Node, Kokilamedu 603104, India
Received 9 January 2014; Accepted 12 February 2014; Published 17 March 2014
Academic Editors: Z. Jiang and N. Martin
Copyright © 2014 D. Ghosh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. C. Knox-Davies, S. R. P. Silva, and J. M. Shannon, “Properties of nanocrystalline GaN films deposited by reactive sputtering,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1417–1421, 2003.
- T. Maruyama and H. Miyake, “Gallium nitride thin films deposited by radio-frequency magnetron sputtering,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces and Films, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1096–1099, 2006.
- M. P. Chowdhury, R. K. Roy, B. R. Chakraborty, and A. K. Pal, “Beryllium-doped polycrystalline GaN films: optical and grain boundary properties,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 491, no. 1-2, pp. 29–37, 2005.
- K. Kubota, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Fujimoto, “Preparation and properties of III-V nitride thin films,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 2984–2988, 1989.
- R. Chen, W. Zhou, and H. S. Kwok, “Top-gate thin-film transistors based on GaN channel layer,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, no. 2, Article ID 022111, 2012.
- C. W. Zou, H. J. Wang, M. L. Yin et al., “Preparation of GaN films on glass substrates by middle frequency magnetron sputtering,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 311, no. 2, pp. 223–227, 2009.
- V. A. Christie, S. I. Liem, R. J. Reeves, V. J. Kennedy, A. Markwitz, and S. M. Durbin, “Characterisation of polycrystalline gallium nitride grown by plasma-assisted evaporation,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 4, no. 2–4, pp. 225–228, 2004.
- F. Y. Wang, R. Z. Wang, W. Zhao, S. XueMei, W. Bo, and Y. Hui, “Field emission properties of amorphous GaN ultrathin films fabricated by pulsed laser deposition,” Science in China, Series F: Information Sciences, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1947–1952, 2009.
- J. Hong, Y. Chang, Y. Ding, Z. L. Wang, and R. L. Snyder, “Growth of GaN films with controlled out-of-plane texture on Si wafers,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 519, no. 11, pp. 3608–3611, 2011.
- N. P. Lopez, J. H. Tao, J. McKittrick et al., “Eu3+ activated GaN thin films grown on sapphire by pulsed laser deposition,” Physica Status Solidi (C): Current Topics in Solid State Physics, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1756–1758, 2008.
- P. Sanguino, M. Niehus, L. V. Melo et al., “Characterisation of GaN films grown on sapphire by low-temperature cyclic pulsed laser deposition/nitrogen rf plasma,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 559–563, 2003.
- X. L. Tong, Q. G. Zheng, S. L. Hu, Y. X. Qin, and Z. H. Ding, “Structural characterization and optoelectronic properties of GaN thin films on Si(111) substrates using pulsed laser deposition assisted by gas discharge,” Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 1959–1963, 2004.
- J. F. Moulder, W. F. Stickle, P. E. Sobol, and K. D. Bomben, Handbook of X-Ray Photoelectron Spectoscopy, Edited by J. Chastain, Perkin-Elmer, Eden Prairia, Minn, USA, 1992.
- D. Briggs and M. P. Seah, Practical Surface Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- S. I. Bahn, C. M. Lee, S. J. Lee, J. I. Lee, C. S. Kim, and S. K. Noh, “Determination of the Al mole fraction in epitaxial N/GaN heterostructures,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 381–385, 2003.
- J. C. Manifacier, J. Gasiot, and J. P. Fillard, “A simple method for the determination of the optical constants n, k and the thickness of a weakly absorbing thin film,” Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1002–1004, 1976.
- D. Bhattacharyya, S. Chaudhuri, A. K. Pal, and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Bandgap and optical transitions in thin films from reflectance measurements,” Vacuum, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 313–316, 1992.
- J. I. Pankove, Optical Processes in Semiconductors, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- S. W. Xue, X. T. Zu, W. G. Zheng, H. X. Deng, and Z. Xiang, “Effects of Al doping concentration on optical parameters of ZnO:Al thin films by sol-gel technique,” Physica B: Condensed Matter, vol. 381, no. 1-2, pp. 209–213, 2006.
- M. Mizushima, T. Kato, Y. Honda, M. Yamaguchi, and N. Sawaki, “Infrared reflectance in GaN/AlGaN triangular stripes grown on Si(111) substrates by MOVPE,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, vol. 42, pp. S750–S752, 2003.
- W. Limmer, W. Ritter, R. Sauer, B. Mensching, C. Liu, and B. Rauschenbach, “Raman scattering in ion-implanted GaN,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 72, no. 20, pp. 2589–2591, 1998.
- H. Siegle, G. Kaczmarczyk, L. Filippidis, A. P. Litvinchuk, A. Hoffmann, and C. Thomsen, “Zone-boundary phonons in hexagonal and cubic GaN,” Physical Review B—Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 7000–7004, 1997.
- A. B. Maity, S. Chaudhuri, and A. K. Pal, “Modification of the absorption edge due to grain boundaries and mechanical stresses in polycrystalline semiconductor films,” Physica Status Solidi (B), vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 185–191, 1994.
- A. B. Maity, M. Basu, S. Chaudhuri, and A. K. Pal, “Stress and microhardness in polycrystalline thin films from below-band-gap absorption studies,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2547–2553, 1995.
- A. B. Maity, D. Bhattacharyya, S. Chaudhuri, and A. K. Pal, “Absorption tail of polycrystalline semiconductor films,” Vacuum, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 319–322, 1995.
- V. I. Gavrilenko, “Electronic structure and optical properties of polycrystalline cubic semiconductors,” Physica Status Solidi (B), vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 457–466, 1987.
- J. Szczyrbowski, “On the shape of the absorption tail in amorphous solids,” Physica Status Solidi (B), vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 769–774, 1979.
- J. Tauc, “Absorption edge and internal electric fields in amorphous semiconductors,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 721–729, 1970.
- R. W. Hoffman, “Stresses in thin films: the relevance of grain boundaries and impurities,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 185–190, 1976.