- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 607850, 10 pages
Undiagnosed Diabetes in Breast, Colorectal, Lung, and Prostate Cancer: Incidence and Risk Factors
1Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, 23-38 Hythe Bridge Street, 2nd Floor, Oxford OX1 2ET, UK
2Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
3Department of Epidemiology, Outcomes Insights, Inc., Westlake Village, CA 91362, USA
4Center for Observational Research, Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Received 5 November 2013; Accepted 20 January 2014; Published 4 March 2014
Academic Editors: Z. S. Guo and Z. Suo
Copyright © 2014 Robert I. Griffiths et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Giovannucci, D. M. Harlan, M. C. Archer et al., “Diabetes and cancer: a consensus report,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1674–1685, 2010.
- B. B. Barone, H.-C. Yeh, C. F. Snyder et al., “Long-term all-cause mortality in cancer patients with preexisting diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 300, no. 23, pp. 2754–2764, 2008.
- B. M. Wolpin, J. A. Meyerhardt, A. T. Chan et al., “Insulin, the insulin-like growth factor axis, and mortality in patients with nonmetastatic colorectal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 176–185, 2009.
- J. Ma, H. Li, E. Giovannucci et al., “Prediagnostic body-mass index, plasma C-peptide concentration, and prostate cancer-specific mortality in men with prostate cancer: a long-term survival analysis,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1039–1047, 2008.
- L. L. Lipscombe, P. J. Goodwin, B. Zinman, J. R. McLaughlin, and J. E. Hux, “The impact of diabetes on survival following breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 389–395, 2008.
- L. C. Richardson and L. A. Pollack, “Therapy insight: influence of type 2 diabetes on the development, treatment and outcomes of cancer,” Nature Clinical Practice Oncology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2005.
- M. A. Weiser, M. E. Cabanillas, M. Konopleva et al., “Relation between the duration of remission and hyperglycemia during induction chemotherapy for acute lymphocytic leukemia with a hyperfractionated cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and dexamethasone/methotrexate-cytarabine regimen,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1179–1185, 2004.
- S. S. Coughlin, E. E. Calle, L. R. Teras, J. Petrelli, and M. J. Thun, “Diabetes mellitus as a predictor of cancer mortality in a large cohort of US adults,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 159, no. 12, pp. 1160–1167, 2004.
- S. H. Saydah, C. M. Loria, M. S. Eberhardt, and F. L. Brancati, “Abnormal glucose tolerance and the risk of cancer death in the United States,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 157, no. 12, pp. 1092–1100, 2003.
- G. Verlato, G. Zoppini, E. Bonora, and M. Muggeo, “Mortality from site-specific malignancies in type 2 diabetic patients from Verona,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1047–1051, 2003.
- J. A. Meyerhardt, P. J. Catalano, D. G. Haller et al., “Impact of diabetes mellitus on outcomes in patients with colon cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 433–440, 2003.
- I. Wolf, S. Sadetzki, R. Catane, A. Karasik, and B. Kaufman, “Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 103–111, 2005.
- L. V. van de Poll-Franse, S. Houterman, M. L. G. Janssen-Heijnen, M. W. Dercksen, J. W. W. Coebergh, and H. R. Haak, “Less aggressive treatment and worse overall survival in cancer patients with diabetes: a large population based analysis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 9, pp. 1986–1992, 2007.
- A. M. McBean and X. Yu, “The underuse of screening services among elderly women with diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1466–1472, 2007.
- M. D. Danese, C. O’Malley, K. Lindquist, M. Gleeson, and R. I. Griffiths, “An observational study of the prevalence and incidence of comorbid conditions in older women with breast cancer,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1756–1765, 2012.
- N. L. Keating, M. B. Landrum, J. Z. Ayanian, E. P. Winer, and E. Guadagnoli, “The association of ambulatory care with breast cancer stage at diagnosis among medicare beneficiaries,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2005.
- M. E. Gornick, P. W. Eggers, and G. F. Riley, “Associations of race, education, and patterns of preventive service use with stage of cancer at time of diagnosis,” Health Services Research, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1403–1427, 2004.
- S. T. Fleming, H. G. Pursley, B. Newman, D. Pavlov, and K. Chen, “Comorbidity as a predictor of stage of illness for patients with breast cancer,” Medical Care, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 132–140, 2005.
- L. X. Clegg, M. E. Reichman, B. A. Miller et al., “Impact of socioeconomic status on cancer incidence and stage at diagnosis: selected findings from the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results: National Longitudinal Mortality Study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 417–435, 2009.
- J. L. Warren, C. N. Klabunde, D. Schrag, P. B. Bach, and G. F. Riley, “Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population,” Medical Care, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 3–18, 2002.
- National Cancer Institute, “Overview of the SEER Program,” National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2011, http://seer.cancer.gov/about/overview.html.
- National Cancer Institute, “Overview of the SEER Program,” National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2011, http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/overview/linked.html.
- The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, “Cancer and Medicare: a chartbook,” The American Cancer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 2012, http://action.acscan.org/site/DocServer/medicare-chartbook.pdf?docID=12061.
- P. L. Hebert, L. S. Geiss, E. F. Tierney, M. M. Engelgau, B. P. Yawn, and A. M. McBean, “Identifying persons with diabetes using medicare claims data,” The American Journal of Medical Quality, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 270–277, 1999.
- A. Fritz and L. Ries, Eds., SEER Program Code Manual, Cancer Statistics Branch, Surveillance Program, Division of Cancer Control and Pop Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Public Health Service, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Md, USA, 3rd edition, 1998, http://seer.cancer.gov/manuals/codeman.pdf.
- C. N. Klabunde, A. L. Potosky, J. M. Legler, and J. L. Warren, “Development of a comorbidity index using physician claims data,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1258–1267, 2000.
- C. N. Klabunde, J. M. Legler, J. L. Warren, L.-M. Baldwin, and D. Schrag, “A refined comorbidity measurement algorithm for claims-based studies of breast, prostate, colorectal, and lung cancer patients,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 584–590, 2007.
- National Cancer Institute, “Overview of the SEER Program,” National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2010, http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/program/remove.ruleout.dxcodes.macro.txt.
- National Cancer Institute, “of the SEER Program,” National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2010, http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/program/charlson.comorbidity.macro.txt.
- M. E. Charlson, P. Pompei, K. A. Ales, and C. R. MacKenzie, “A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 373–383, 1987.
- R. A. Deyo, D. C. Cherkin, and M. A. Ciol, “Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 613–619, 1992.
- P. S. Romano, L. L. Roos, H. S. Luft, J. G. Jollis, and K. Doliszny, “A comparison of administrative versus clinical data: coronary artery bypass surgery as an example,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 249–260, 1994.
- R. Ashkenazy and M. J. Abrahamson, “Medicare coverage for patients with diabetes: a national plan with individual consequences,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 386–392, 2006.