- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 703160, 9 pages
Ultrasound Guided Core Biopsy versus Fine Needle Aspiration for Evaluation of Axillary Lymphadenopathy in Patients with Breast Cancer
1Department of Radiology at Magee-Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 300 Halket Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
2Department of Pathology, Mills-Peninsula Hospital of Sutter Health Affiliate, 383 East Grand Avenue suite A, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
3Department of Pathology at Magee-Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 300 Halket Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
4Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, A414 Crabtree Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Received 23 September 2013; Accepted 24 November 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editors: K. H. Tkaczuk and T. Yokoe
Copyright © 2014 Marie A. Ganott et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Fisher, M. Bauer, D. L. Wickerham, et al., “Relation of number of positive axillary nodes to the prognosis of patients with primary breast cancer. An NSABP update,” Cancer, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1551–1557, 1983.
- S. Masood, “Prognostic factors in breast cancer,” The Breast Journal, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 267–283, 1997.
- Z. U. Rahman, A. U. Buzdar, E. Singletary, et al., “Selection of systemic therapy: is axillary lymph node status important?” Seminars in Breast Disease, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 137–166, 1998.
- D. Brenin and M. Morrow, “Conventional axillary dissection: extent, local control, and morbidity,” Seminars in Breast Disease, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 118–124, 1998.
- J. J. Albertini, G. H. Lyman, C. Cox et al., “Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy in the patient with breast cancer,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 22, pp. 1818–1822, 1996.
- N. M. Hansen, “Historical review of sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer,” Seminars in Breast Disease, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 2–9, 2002.
- B. J. Grube and A. E. Giuliano, “Implications of sentinel lymphadenectomy and management options of the axilla after sentinel node biopsy: sentinel node negative and sentinel node positive,” Seminars in Breast Disease, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 61–75, 2002.
- A. E. Giuliano, L. McCall, P. Beitsch et al., “Locoregional recurrence after sentinel lymph node dissection with or without axillary dissection in patients with sentinel lymph node metastases: the American college of surgeons oncology group z0011 randomized trial,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 252, no. 3, pp. 426–432, 2010.
- R. Welsh, P. J. Kornguth, M. S. Soo, R. Bentley, and D. M. DeLong, “Axillary lymph nodes: mammographic, pathologic, and clinical correlation,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1997.
- P. Vassallo, K. Wernecke, N. Roos, and P. E. Peters, “Differentiation of benign from malignant superficial lymphadenopathy: the role of high-resolution US,” Radiology, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 215–220, 1992.
- E. E. Deurloo, P. J. Tanis, K. G. A. Gilhuijs et al., “Reduction in the number of sentinel lymph node procedures by preoperative ultrasonography of the axilla in breast cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1068–1073, 2003.
- V. Kuenen-Boumeester, M. Menke-Pluymers, A. Y. de Kanter, I.-M. A. Obdeijn, D. Urich, and T. H. van der Kwast, “Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology of axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer patients. A preoperative staging procedure,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 170–174, 2003.
- S. Sahoo, M. A. Sanders, L. Roland, N. Pile, and A. B. Chagpar, “A strategic approach to the evaluation of axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer patients: analysis of 168 patients at a single institution,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 194, no. 4, pp. 524–526, 2007.
- S. Krishnamurthy, N. Sneige, D. G. Bedi et al., “Role of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of indeterminate and suspicious axillary lymph nodes in the initial staging of breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 982–988, 2002.
- J. U. N. Oruwari, M. A. Chung, S. Koelliker, M. M. Steinhoff, and B. Cady, “Axillary staging using ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in locally advanced breast cancer,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 184, no. 4, pp. 307–309, 2002.
- A. Sapino, P. Cassoni, E. Zanon et al., “Ultrasonographically-guided fine-needle aspiration of axillary lymph nodes: role in breast cancer management,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 702–706, 2003.
- B. Brancato, M. Zappa, D. Bricolo et al., “Role of ultrasound-guided fine needle cytology of axillary lymph nodes in breast carcinoma staging,” Radiologia Medica, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 345–355, 2004.
- S. L. Koelliker, M. A. Chung, M. B. Mainiero, M. M. Steinhoff, and B. Cady, “Axillary lymph nodes: US guided fine-needle aspiration for initial staging of breast cancer—Correlation with primary tumor size,” Radiology, vol. 246, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 2008.
- W. A. Berg, “Image-guided breast biopsy and management of high-risk lesions,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 935–946, 2004.
- U. Topal, Ş. Punar, I. Taşdelen, and S. B. Adim, “Role of ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy of axillary lymph nodes in the initial staging of breast carcinoma,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 382–385, 2005.
- H. Abe, R. A. Schmidt, C. A. Sennett, A. Shimauchi, and G. M. Newstead, “US-guided core needle biopsy of axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer: why and how to do it,” Radiographics, vol. 27, pp. S91–S99, 2007.
- N. Houssami, S. Ciatto, R. M. Turner, H. S. Cody, and P. MacAskill, “Preoperative ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of axillary nodes in invasive breast cancer: meta-analysis of its accuracy and utility in staging the axilla,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 243–251, 2011.
- R. Rao, L. Lilley, V. Andrews, L. Radford, and M. Ulissey, “Axillary staging by percutaneous biopsy: sensitivity of fine-needle aspiration versus core needle biopsy,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1170–1175, 2009.
- S. Rautianen, A. Masarwah, M. Sudah, et al., “Axillary iymph node biopsy in newly diagnosed breast cancer: comparative accuracy of fine-needle aspiration biopsy versus core needle biopsy,” Radiology, vol. 269, pp. 54–60, 2013.