- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 859621, 7 pages
Sunitinib Improves Some Clinical Aspects and Reverts DMBA-Induced Hyperplasic Lesions in Hamster Buccal Pouch
Laboratório de Biologia Celular e Tecidual, Faculdade de Biociências, PUCRS, Avenida Ipiranga 6681, Prédio 12, Sala 104, 90619-900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 5 December 2013; Accepted 6 January 2014; Published 13 February 2014
Academic Editors: S. Y. Kwon, D. Thurnher, and S. C. Winter
Copyright © 2014 Fernanda Lopes de Souza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Barnes, J. W. Everson, P. Reichart, et al., World Health Organization Classification of Tumors: Pathology and Genetics of Head and Neck Tumors, IARC press, Lyon, France, 2005.
- C. Scully and S. Porter, “ABC of oral health,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7253, pp. 97–100, 2000.
- D. D. Mosel, R. L. Bauer, D. P. Lynch, and S. T. Hwang, “Oral complications in the treatment of cancer patients,” Oral Diseases, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 550–559, 2011.
- E. E. Vokes, R. R. Weichselbaum, S. M. Lippman, and W. K. Hong, “Medical progress: head and neck cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 3, pp. 184–194, 1993.
- G. Shklar, “Development of experimental oral carcinogenesis and its impact on current oral cancer research,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1768–1772, 1999.
- S. Warnakulasuriya, “Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer,” Oral Oncology, vol. 45, no. 4-5, pp. 309–316, 2009.
- M. W. Lingen, A. Pinto, R. A. Mendes et al., “Genetics/epigenetics of oral premalignancy: current status and future research,” Oral Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 7–22, 2011.
- C. Scully and J. V. Bagan, “Oral squamous cell carcinoma: overview of current understanding of aetiopathogenesis and clinical implications,” Oral Diseases, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 388–399, 2009.
- C. Scully and J. Bagan, “Oral squamous cell carcinoma overview,” Oral Oncology, vol. 45, no. 4-5, pp. 301–308, 2009.
- R. Siegel, D. Naishadham, and A. Jemal, “Cancer statistics, 2012,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 10–29, 2012.
- M. W. Lingen, L. A. Dipietro, D. B. Solt, N. P. Bouck, and P. J. Polverini, “The angiogenic switch in hamster buccal pouch keratinocytes is dependent on TGFβ-1 and is unaffected by ras activation,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 329–338, 1997.
- S. F. Chen, S. Nien, C. H. Wu, C. L. Liu, Y. C. Chang, and Y. S. Lin, “Reappraisal of the anticancer efficacy of quercetin in oral cancer cells,” Journal of the Chinese Medical Association, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 146–152, 2013.
- D. Chen, K. Yang, J. Mei, G. Zhang, X. Lv, and L. Xiang, “Screening the pathogenic genes and pathways related to DMBA (7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene)-induced transformation of hamster oral mucosa from precancerous lesions to squamous cell carcinoma,” Oncology Letters, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 637–642, 2011.
- M. M. Sami, M. Saito, S. Muramatsu et al., “Twin-pair rete ridge analysis: a computer-aided method for facilitating objective histopathological distinction between epithelial dysplasia and carcinoma in-situ of the oral mucosa,” Journal of Oral Medicine and Pathology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 89–97, 2010.
- D. B. Mendel, A. D. Laird, X. Xin et al., “In vivo antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptors: determination of a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 327–337, 2003.
- SUTENT: Sunitinib Malate, Prescribing Information, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Pfizer Labs, New York, NY, USA, 2011, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/021938s021s022s023lbl.pdf.
- D. Hanahan and R. A. Weinberg, “The hallmarks of cancer,” Cell, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 57–70, 2000.
- C. M. Bagi, D. F. Gebhard, and C. J. Andresen, “Antitumor effect of vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitor sunitinib in preclinical models of hepatocellular carcinoma,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 563–574, 2012.
- “Lei No11. 794, de 9 de outubro de 2008,” Lei arouca sancionada, Diário Oficial da União, Ano CXLV No. 196, Brasilia, Brazil, http://www.prpa.mpf.gov.br/setorial/biblioteca/legislacao/lei-n-11794-de-8-de-outubro-de-2008.
- A. L. Morris, “Factors influencing experimental carcinogensis in the hamster cheek,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 40, pp. 3–15, 1961.
- L. B. de Oliveira, V. F. Bampi, C. F. Gomes, and M. A. L. de Souza, “Angioarchitecture of squamous cell carcinoma from hamster buccal pouch: a scanning electron microscopy study,” Scanning, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 188–194, 2009.
- L. C. da Costa Filho, C. C. da Costa, M. L. Sória, and R. Taga, “Effect of home bleaching and smoking on marginal gingival epithelium proliferation: a histologic study in women,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 473–480, 2002.
- L. Gandhi, K. L. McNamara, D. Li et al., “Sunitinib prolongs survival in genetically engineered mouse models of multistep lung carcinogenesis,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 330–337, 2009.
- L. Q. M. Chow and S. G. Eckhardt, “Sunitinib: from rational design to clinical efficacy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 884–896, 2007.
- A. J. P. Klein-Szanto and H. E. Schroeder, “Architecture and density of the connective tissue papillae of the human oral mucosa,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 93–109, 1977.
- X. Fu, L. Fang, X. Li, B. Cheng, and Z. Sheng, “Enhanced wound-healing quality with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells autografting after skin injury,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 325–335, 2006.
- Z. Husain, Y. Fei, S. Roy, D. B. Solt, P. J. Polverini, and D. K. Biswas, “Sequential expression and cooperative interaction of c-Ha-ras and c-erbB genes in in vivo chemical carcinogenesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1264–1268, 1989.
- Y. Ahn, J. Chung, P. Wilder-Smith, and Z. Chen, “Multimodality approach to optical early detection and mapping of oral neoplasia,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 16, no. 7, Article ID 076007, 2011.
- B. J. M. Braakhuis, C. R. Leemans, and R. H. Brakenhoff, “Expanding fields of genetically altered cells in head and neck squamous carcinogenesis,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 113–120, 2005.
- F. H. White and K. Gohari, “The ultrastructural morphology of hamster cheek pouch epithelium,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 563–576, 1981.
- M. D. McMillan and M. A. Kerr, “A light and scanning electron microscope study of epithelial thickenings and rete ridges in the adult hamster cheek pouch,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 235–240, 1990.
- E. Horstmann, “Ueber den Papillarkorper der menschlichen Haut und seine regionalen Unterscheide,” Acta Anatomica, vol. 14, no. 1-2, pp. 23–42, 1952.
- T. Karring, “Mitotic activity in the oral epithelium,” Journal of Periodontal Research, Supplement, vol. 13, pp. 1–47, 1973.