- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 898439, 6 pages
The Excellent Mechanical Properties of Cork: A Novel Approach through the Analysis of Contact Stress
1Department of Mechanical, Energetic and Materials Engineering, School of Industrial Engineering, University of Extremadura, Avenida de Elvas, s/n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
2Department of Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Extremadura, Avenida de Elvas, s/n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Received 18 February 2014; Accepted 30 March 2014; Published 7 May 2014
Academic Editors: P. Mandracci, Y. Sun, and R. A. Varin
Copyright © 2014 Antonio Díaz-Parralejo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Takahashi, D. Okumura, and N. Ohno, “Yield and buckling behavior of Kelvin open-cell foams subjected to uniaxial compression,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 377–385, 2010.
- C. P. Gameiro and J. Cirne, “Dynamic axial crushing of short to long circular aluminium tubes with agglomerate cork filler,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1029–1037, 2007.
- S. Banerjee and A. Bhaskar, “The applicability of the effective medium theory to the dynamics of cellular beams,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 598–608, 2009.
- M. F. Ashby, “The mechanical properties of cellular solids,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1755–1769, 1983.
- S. P. Silva, M. A. Sabino, E. M. Fernandas, V. M. Correlo, L. F. Boesel, and R. L. Reis, “Cork: properties, capabilities and applications,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 345–365, 2005.
- H. Pereira, M. E. Rosa, and M. A. Fortes, “The cellular structure of cork from Quercus suber L.,” IAWA Bulletin, vol. 8, pp. 213–218, 1987.
- M. Emilia Rosa and M. A. Fortes, “Stress relaxation and creep of cork,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1988.
- J. F. Mano, “Creep-recovery behaviour of cork,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 11-12, pp. 2473–2477, 2007.
- N. Cordeiro, N. M. Belgacem, A. Gandini, and C. P. Neto, “Cork suberin as a new source of chemicals: 2. Crystallinity, thermal and rheological properties,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 153–158, 1998.
- C. V. Calahorro, A. B. Garcia, C. P. Barrera, M. J. B. Garcia, and M. G. Corzo, “Cation exchangers prepared from cork wastes,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 229–233, 1993.
- A. S. Mestre, J. Pires, J. M. F. Nogueira, J. B. Parra, A. P. Carvalho, and C. O. Ania, “Waste-derived activated carbons for removal of ibuprofen from solution: role of surface chemistry and pore structure,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1720–1726, 2009.
- M. Wilsea, K. L. Johnson, and M. F. Ashby, “Indentation of foamed plastics,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 457–460, 1975.
- B. Lawn and R. Wilshaw, “Indentation fracture: principles and applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1049–1081, 1975.
- B. R. Lawn, N. P. Padture, H. Cai, and F. Guiberteau, “Making ceramics ‘Ductile’,” Science, vol. 263, no. 5150, pp. 1114–1116, 1994.
- Y. G. Jung, I. M. Peterson, A. Pajares, and B. R. Lawn, “Contact damage resistance and strength degradation of glass-infiltrated alumina and spinel ceramics,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 804–814, 1999.
- M. A. Fortes and M. E. Rosa, “Densidade da cortiça: factores que a influenciam,” Cortiça, vol. 593, pp. 65–69, 1988.
- J. V. Natividade, Subericultura, Direcçao Geral dos Serviços Florestais e Aquicolas, Lisbon, Portugal, 1990.
- F. Ben Abdallah, R. Ben Cheikh, M. Baklouti, Z. Denchev, and A. M. Cunha, “Characterization of composite materials based on PP-cork blends,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 25, no. 14, pp. 1499–1506, 2006.
- P. J. Antunes, G. R. Dias, A. T. Coelho, F. Rebelo, and T. Pereira, “Hyperelastic modelling of cork-polyurethane gel composites: non-linear FEA implementation in 3D foot model,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 587-588, pp. 700–705, 2008.
- J. F. Mano, “The viscoelastic properties of cork,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 257–263, 2002.