- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 924827, 7 pages
Perborate Oxidation of Substituted 5-Oxoacids in Aqueous Acetic Acid Medium: A Kinetic and Mechanistic Study
1Research and Development Centre, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore 641 046, India
2Department of Chemistry, Arignar Anna Government Arts College, Cheyyar 604 407, India
3Department of Chemistry, Presidency College, Chennai 600005, India
4Department of Chemistry, Dr. Ambedkar Government Arts College, Chennai 600 039, India
Received 22 November 2013; Accepted 5 January 2014; Published 4 March 2014
Academic Editors: M. Sikorski, D. Strout, and D. A. Wild
Copyright © 2014 S. Shree Devi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. M. Connor and R. E. Richards, “Nuclear resonance spectra of some peroxy-salts,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 289–293, 1958.
- J. O. Edwards and V. F. Ross, “The Structural chemistry of the borates,” in The Chemistry of Boron and Its Compounds, E. L. Muetterties, Ed., p. 192, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- F. A. Cotton and G. Wilkinson, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Wiley Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- Y. Ogata and H. Shimizu, “Oxidation of organic compounds with perborates or H2O2–boric acids,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 635–636, 1979.
- A. McKillop and W. R. Sanderson, “Sodium perborate and sodium percarbonate: cheap, safe and versatile oxidising agents for organic synthesis,” Tetrahedron, vol. 51, no. 22, pp. 6145–6166, 1995.
- A. McKillop and W. R. Sanderson, “Sodium perborate and sodium percarbonate: further applications in organic synthesis,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 471–476, 2000.
- J. Muzart, “Sodium perborate and sodium percarbonate in organic synthesis,” Synthesis, no. 11, pp. 1325–1347, 1995.
- C. Karunakaran and P. N. Palanisamy, “Kinetic evidence for (N,N-dimethylaniline)-oxodiperoxomolybdenum(VI) or tungsten(VI) as oxidizing species in molybdenum(VI) or tungsten(VI) catalyzed hydrogen peroxide (Perborate) oxidation of N,N-dimethylaniline,” Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic and Metal-Organic Chemistry, vol. 28, pp. 1115–1125, 1998.
- C. Karunakaran and B. Muthukumaran, “Zirconium(IV) catalysis in perborate oxidation of iodide,” Reaction Kinetics and Catalysis Letters, vol. 60, pp. 387–394, 1997.
- C. Karunakaran and B. Muthukumaran, “Molybdenum(VI) catalysis of perborate or hydrogen peroxide oxidation of iodide ion,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 460–462, 1995.
- C. Karunakaran and P. Manimekalai, “Kinetics and mechanism of perborate oxidation of organic sulphides,” Tetrahedron, vol. 47, no. 41, pp. 8733–8738, 1991.
- C. Karunakaran and R. Kamalam, “On the mechanism of the perborate oxidation of organic sulfides in glacial acetic acid,” European Journal of Organic Chemistry, no. 19, pp. 3261–3263, 2000.
- C. Karunakaran, V. Ramachandran, and P. N. Palanisamy, “Linear free energy relationship in complex reaction: tungsten(VI) catalyzed perborate oxidation of S-Phenylmercaptoacetic acids,” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, vol. 31, pp. 675–681, 1999.
- C. Karunakaran and R. Kamalam, “Mechanism and reactivity in perborate oxidation of anilines in acetic acid,” Journal of the Chemical Society. Perkin Transactions, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 2011–2018, 2002.
- D. Kungumathilagam and K. Karunakaran, “Kinetics and mechanism of meso-tetraphenylporphyriniron(III) chloride (TPP) catalysed oxidation of indole by sodium perborate,” Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 2013.
- N. P. Marigangaiah and K. K. Banerji, “Kinetics & mechanism of oxidation of acetone, butanone, pentan-2-one, 3-methylbutan-2-one, hexan-2-one & 4-methylpentan-2-one by acid permanganate,” Indian Journal of Chemistry A, vol. 14, pp. 660–662, 1976.
- A. Meenakshi and M. Santhappa, “Oxidation studies involving Tl(III),” Indian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 11, pp. 393–394, 1973.
- N. A. M. Farook, “Kinetics of oxidation of 4-oxoacids by N-chlorosaccharin in aqueous acetic acid medium,” Journal of Solution Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 345–356, 2007.
- N. A. Mohamed Farook and G. A. Seyed Dameem, “Kinetics of oxidation of 3-benzoylpropionic acid by N-chlorobenzamide in aqueous acetic acid medium,” E-Journal of Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 561–564, 2011.
- D. F. Gnana Rani, F. J. M. Pushparaj, I. Alphonse, and K. S. Rangappa, “Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of 4-oxoacids by hexacyanoferrate(III) catalysed by Os(VIII),” Indian Journal of Chemistry B, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2153–2159, 2002.
- G. Sikkandar, “Kinetics of oxidative decarboxylation of β-Benzoylpropionic acid by Manganese (III) acetate,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1037–1040, 2000.
- B. Kenneth, K. Wiberg, and R. Stewart, “Solvents having high dielectric constants. II. Solutions of alkali halides in N-methylacetamide from 30 to 60°,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 77, pp. 1986–1989, 1955.
- A. I. Vogel, Text Book of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, ELBS, Longmans, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 1958.
- F. C. Tompkins, “Kinetics of the oxidation of organic compounds by potassium permanganate. Part VI. Benzaldehyde,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 39, pp. 280–287, 1943.
- F. R. Duke, “The disproportionation of manganate ion. Managanese dioxide as heterogeneous catalyst,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 56, pp. 882–884, 1952.
- M. G. Alder and J. E. Leffler, “The role of the solvent in radical decomposition reactions: phenylazotriphenylmethane,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 1425–1427, 1954.
- F. Feigl and V. Anger, Spot Tests in Organic Analysis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Elsevier, 1975.
- F. A. Long and M. A. Paul, “Application of the HO acidity function to kinetics and mechanisms of acid catalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 57, pp. 955–1010, 1957.
- C. S. Reddy and T. Vijaya Kumar, “Aquachlororuthenium(III) complex catalysis in the oxidation of malonic and methylmalonic acids by bromate in perchloric acid medium. Study of induction period and evaluation of individual kinetic parameters,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 32, pp. 246–256, 2007.
- E. S. Amis, Solvent Effects on Reaction Rates and Mechanisms, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- J. E. Leffler and E. Grunwald, Rates and Equilibrium of Organic Reactions, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1963.
- R. Schmid and V. N. Sapunov, Non-Formal Kinetics, Verlag, Chemie, Weinheim, Germany, 1982.
- Adams and R. M. Boron, Metallo-Boron Compounds and Boranes, Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1964.
- G. Sikkandar, K. A. B. Ahamed, and S. Kannan, “Kinetics of oxidation of 4-oxoacids by permanganate in buffer media,” Indian Journal of Chemistry A, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 183–186, 1999.
- S. Venkatakrishnan and M. Santappa, “Oxidation of acetone and methyl ethyl ketone by ceric ions in aqueous solution,” Zeitschrift für Physikalische Chemie, vol. 16, pp. 73–84, 1958.
- J. S. Littler, “The mechanisms of oxidation of cyclohexanone under acid conditions. Part II. One-electron oxidants,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 832–837, 1962.
- D. G. Hoare and W. A. Waters, “Oxidations of organic compounds by cobaltic salts. Part II. The oxidation of diethyl ketone,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 971–975, 1962.
- A. J. Green, T. J. Kemp, S. S. Littler, and W. A. Waters, “The mechanism of oxidation of cyclohexanone under acid conditions. Part III. Corrected enolization rates and kinetic isotope effects,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 2722–2726, 1974.
- G. Sarala, P. J. P. Rao, B. Sethuram, and T. N. Rao, “Kinetics and mechanism of uncatalyzed and Os(VIII)-catalyzed oxidation of acetophenones by diperiodatoargentate(III),” Indian Journal of Chemistry A, vol. 26, pp. 475–479, 1987.
- A. Y. Drumond and W. A. Waters, “Stages in oxidations of organic compounds by potassium permanganate. Part VI. Oxidations of ketones and of pyruvic acid,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 497–504, 1955.
- P. S. R. Murthy and S. N. Pati, “Oxidation of aliphatic, arylaliphatic and cyclic-ketones by thallium triacetate,” Indian Journal of Chemistry A, vol. 17, pp. 97–101, 1979.
- M. A. A. Siddiqui, C. S. Kumar, U. Chandraiah, and S. Kandlikar, “Kinetics of oxidation of acetophenones by diperiodatonickelate(IV) in the presence and absence of Os(VIII),” Indian Journal of Chemistry A, vol. 30, pp. 849–854, 1991.
- W. S. Nathan and H. B. Waston, “Constitutional factors controlling prototropic changes in carbonyl compounds. Part III. The prototropy of nuclear-substituted,” Journal of the Chemical Society, pp. 217–220, 1933.