- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 926213, 10 pages
Determination of Phenol and Chlorophenols at Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes/Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) Modified Glassy Carbon Electrode Using Flow Injection Amperometry
1Department of Chemistry, Addis Ababa University, P.O. Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2Department of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, National University of Lesotho, P.O. Box 180, Mailroom 127, Roma, Lesotho
Received 28 February 2014; Accepted 19 March 2014; Published 16 April 2014
Academic Editors: P. Campíns-Falcó, F. Kandemirli, and J. J. Santana-Rodríguez
Copyright © 2014 Negussie Negash et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Naczk and F. Shahidi, “Phenolics in cereals, fruits and vegetables: occurrence, extraction and analysis,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1523–1542, 2006.
- A. Peñalver, E. Pocurull, F. Borrull, and R. M. Marcé, “Solid-phase microextraction coupled to high-performance liquid chromatography to determine phenolic compounds in water samples,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 953, no. 1-2, pp. 79–87, 2002.
- G. W. Muna, V. Quaiserova-Mocko, and G. M. Swain, “The analysis of chlorinated phenol solutions by capillary electrophoresis coupled with direct and indirect amperometric detection using a boron-doped diamond microelectrode,” Electroanalysis, vol. 17, no. 13, pp. 1160–1170, 2005.
- “Phenols by Gas Chromatography, Capillary Column Technique: Environment Protection Agency Method 804,” Washington, DC, USA, 1995.
- C. Proestos, D. Sereli, and M. Komaitis, “Determination of phenolic compounds in aromatic plants by RP-HPLC and GC-MS,” Food Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 44–52, 2006.
- A. S. Arribas, M. Martínez-Fernández, and M. Chicharro, “The role of electroanalytical techniques in analysis of polyphenols in wine,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 34, pp. 78–95, 2012.
- J.-S. Park, M. T. Brown, and T. Han, “Phenol toxicity to the aquatic macrophyte Lemna paucicostata,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 106-107, pp. 182–188, 2012.
- M. Križman, D. Baričevič, and M. Prošek, “Determination of phenolic compounds in fennel by HPLC and HPLC-MS using a monolithic reversed-phase column,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 481–485, 2007.
- E. Hurtado-Fernández, M. Gómez-Romero, A. Carrasco-Pancorbo, and A. Fernández-Gutiérrez, “Application and potential of capillary electroseparation methods to determine antioxidant phenolic compounds from plant food material,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1130–1160, 2010.
- Y. Tsuruta, S. Watanabe, and H. Inoue, “Fluorometric determination of phenol and p-cresol in urine by precolumn high-performance liquid chromatography using 4-(N-phthalimidinyl)benzenesulfonyl chloride,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 243, no. 1, pp. 86–91, 1996.
- L. Pigani, M. Musiani, C. Pirvu, F. Terzi, C. Zanardi, and R. Seeber, “Electro-oxidation of chlorophenols on poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)-poly(styrene sulphonate) composite electrode,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1910–1918, 2007.
- F. Maya, J. M. Estela, and V. Cerdà, “Flow analysis techniques as effective tools for the improved environmental analysis of organic compounds expressed as total indices,” Talanta, vol. 81, no. 1-2, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- G.-Y. Kim, N. M. Cuong, S.-H. Cho, J. Shim, J.-J. Woo, and S.-H. Moon, “Improvement of an enzyme electrode by poly(vinyl alcohol) coating for amperometric measurement of phenol,” Talanta, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2007.
- A. E. Böyükbayram, S. Kıralp, L. Toppare, and Y. Yaǧci, “Preparation of biosensors by immobilization of polyphenol oxidase in conducting copolymers and their use in determination of phenolic compounds in red wine,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 164–171, 2006.
- P. Wang, M. Liu, and J. Kan, “Amperometric phenol biosensor based on polyaniline,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 577–584, 2009.
- Y.-C. Tsai and C.-C. Chiu, “Amperometric biosensors based on multiwalled carbon nanotube-Nafion-tyrosinase nanobiocomposites for the determination of phenolic compounds,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2007.
- S. K. Ozoner, M. Yalvac, and E. Erhan, “Flow injection determination of catechol based on polypyrrole-carbon nanotube-tyrosinase biocomposite detector,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 323–328, 2010.
- S. Campuzano, B. Serra, M. Pedrero, F. J. M. de Villena, and J. M. Pingarrón, “Amperometric flow-injection determination of phenolic compounds at self-assembled monolayer-based tyrosinase biosensors,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 494, no. 1-2, pp. 187–197, 2003.
- J. Li, L. S. Chia, N. K. Goh, and S. N. Tan, “Silica sol-gel immobilized amperometric biosensor for the determination of phenolic compounds,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 362, no. 2-3, pp. 203–211, 1998.
- R. Rawal, S. Chawl, and C. S. Pundir, “An amperometric biosensor based on laccase immobilized onto Fe3O4NPs/cMWCNT/PANI/Au electrode for determination of phenolic content in tea leaves extract,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 179–185, 2012.
- Y. Li, C. Qin, C. Chen, Y. Fu, M. Ma, and Q. Xie, “Highly sensitive phenolic biosensor based on magnetic polydopamine-laccase-Fe3O4 bionanocomposite,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 168, pp. 46–53, 2012.
- C. Emre, S. Mehmet, A. Baykal, and M. F. Abasıyanık, “A novel amperometric phenol biosensor based on immobilized HRP on poly(glycidylmethacrylate)-grafted iron oxide nanoparticles for the determination of phenol derivatives,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 173, pp. 396–405, 2012.
- T. Spǎtaru and N. Spǎtaru, “Voltammetric detection of phenol at platinum-polytyramine composite electrodes in acidic media,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 180, no. 1–3, pp. 777–780, 2010.
- V. S. Vasantha and S.-M. Chen, “Electrocatalysis and simultaneous detection of dopamine and ascorbic acid using poly(3,4-ethylenedioxy)thiophene film modified electrodes,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 592, no. 1, pp. 77–87, 2006.
- S. Mehretie, S. Admassie, M. Tessema, and T. Solomon, “Voltammetric determination of paracetamol with poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) modified glassy carbon electrode,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Electrochemistry, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 38–50, 2011.
- S. Mehretie, S. Admassie, T. Hunde, M. Tessema, and T. Solomon, “Simultaneous determination of N-acetyl-p-aminophenol and p-aminophenol with poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) modified glassy carbon electrode,” Talanta, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 1376–1382, 2011.
- S. Mehretie, S. Admassie, M. Tessema, and T. Solomon, “Electrochemical study of niclosamide at poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) modified glassy carbon electrode,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 168, pp. 97–102, 2012.
- J. Wang, R. P. Deo, and M. Musameh, “Stable and sensitive electrochemical detection of phenolic compounds at carbon nanotube modified glassy carbon electrodes,” Electroanalysis, vol. 15, no. 23-24, pp. 1830–1834, 2003.
- S. K. Vashist, D. Zheng, K. al-Rubeaan, J. H. T. Luong, and F.-S. Sheu, “Advances in carbon nanotube based electrochemical sensors for bioanalytical applications,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 169–188, 2011.
- J. M. Schnorr and T. M. Swager, “Emerging applications of carbon nanotubes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 646–657, 2011.
- T.-M. Wu, H.-L. Chang, and Y.-W. Lin, “Synthesis and characterization of conductive polypyrrole/multi-walled carbon nanotubes composites with improved solubility and conductivity,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 639–644, 2009.
- P. Sundari and P. Manisankar, “Development of ultrasensitive surfactants doped poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/multiwalled carbon nanotube sensor for the detection of pyrethroids and an organochlorine pesticide,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2011.
- A. S. Arribas, E. Bermejo, M. Chicharro et al., “Analytical applications of glassy carbon electrodes modified with multi-wall carbon nanotubes dispersed in polyethylenimine as detectors in flow systems,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 596, no. 2, pp. 183–194, 2007.
- F. Qu, M. Yang, J. Jiang, G. Shen, and R. Yu, “Amperometric biosensor for chorine based on layer-by-layer assembled functionalized carbon nanotube and polyaniline multilayer film,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 344, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2005.
- J. S. Wang, P. Y. Chen, T. T. Huang, and M. S. Lin, “Enzymeless flow injection analysis of 2,4,6-trichlorophenol based on preoxidation cerium (IV) nitrate,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 7, pp. 9113–9121, 2012.
- M. A. Heras, S. Lupu, L. Pigani et al., “A poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)-poly(styrene sulphonate) composite electrode coating in the electrooxidation of phenol,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 50, no. 7-8, pp. 1685–1691, 2005.
- Z. Spitalsky, D. Tasis, K. Papagelis, and C. Galiotis, “Carbon nanotube-polymer composites: chemistry, processing, mechanical and electrical properties,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 357–401, 2010.
- R. S. Freire, N. Duran, and L. T. Kubota, “Development of a laccase-based flow injection electrochemical biosensor for the determination of phenolic compounds and its application for monitoring remediation of Kraft E1 paper mill effluent,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 463, no. 2, pp. 229–238, 2002.
- J. Ren, T.-F. Kang, R. Xue, C.-N. Ge, and S.-Y. Cheng, “Biosensor based on a glassy carbon electrode modified with tyrosinase immmobilized on multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 174, no. 3-4, pp. 303–309, 2011.
- J. P. H. Pérez, M. S.-P. López, E. López-Cabarcos, and B. López-Ruiz, “Amperometric tyrosinase biosensor based on polyacrylamide microgels,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 429–439, 2006.
- S. Korkut, B. Keskinler, and E. Erhan, “An amperometric biosensor based on multiwalled carbon nanotube-poly(pyrrole)-horseradish peroxidase nanobiocomposite film for determination of phenol derivatives,” Talanta, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 1147–1152, 2008.
- J. Zhao, D. Wu, and J. Zhi, “A novel tyrosinase biosensor based on biofunctional ZnO nanorod microarrays on the nanocrystalline diamond electrode for detection of phenolic compounds,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2009.
- S. Huang, Y. Qu, R. Li, J. Shen, and L. Zhu, “Biosensor based on horseradish peroxidase modified carbon nanotubes for determination of 2,4-dichlorophenol,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 162, no. 1-2, pp. 261–268, 2008.
- A. S. Arribas, M. Moreno, E. Bermejo et al., “Application of carbon nanotube-modified electrodes as electrochemical sensors for the continuous monitoring of 2,4-dichlorophenol,” Electroanalysis, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 237–244, 2011.
- J. Zhang, J. Lei, H. Jua, and C. Wang, “Electrochemical sensor based on chlorohemin modified molecularly imprinted microgel for determination of 2,4-dichlorophenol,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 786, pp. 16–21, 2013.
- D. Vega, L. Agüí, A. González-Cortés, P. Yáñez-Sedeño, and J. M. Pingarrón, “Electrochemical detection of phenolic estrogenic compounds at carbon nanotube-modified electrodes,” Talanta, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 1031–1038, 2007.
- R. S. Freire, N. Durán, and L. T. Kubota, “Electrochemical biosensor-based devices for continuous phenols monitoring in environmental matrices,” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2002.