- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 952908, 6 pages
Limited Functional Health Literacy, Health Information Sources, and Health Behavior among Community-Dwelling Older Adults in Japan
1Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, 35-2 Sakae-cho, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 173-0015, Japan
2Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima City, Fukushima 960-1295, Japan
3University of Human Arts and Sciences, 1288 Magome, Iwatsuki-ku, Saitama City, Saitama 339-8539, Japan
4National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, 35 Gengo, Morioka-machi, Obu City, Aichi 474-8511, Japan
Received 11 December 2013; Accepted 29 January 2014; Published 6 March 2014
Academic Editors: A. T. Isik, J. C. Nitz, and W. Qidwai
Copyright © 2014 Yuko Yoshida et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. R. Selden, M. Zorn, S. Ratzant, and R. M. Parker, “Current Bibliographies in Medicine 2000-1,” Health Literacy, 2000, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/cbm/hliteracy.html.
- B. D. James, P. A. Boyle, J. S. Bennett, and D. A. Bennett, “The impact of health and financial literacy on decision making in community-based older adults,” Gerontology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 531–539, 2012.
- R. L. Sudore, K. M. Mehta, E. M. Simonsick et al., “Limited literacy in older people and disparities in health and healthcare access,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 770–776, 2006.
- M. S. Wolf, J. A. Gazmararian, and D. W. Baker, “Health literacy and functional health status among older adults,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 17, pp. 1946–1952, 2005.
- A. D. Federman, M. Sano, M. S. Wolf, A. L. Siu, and E. A. Halm, “Health literacy and cognitive performance in older adults,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1475–1480, 2009.
- D. W. Baker, M. S. Wolf, J. Feinglass, and J. A. Thompson, “Health literacy, cognitive abilities, and mortality among elderly persons,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 723–726, 2008.
- D. W. Baker, M. S. Wolf, J. Feinglass, J. A. Thompson, J. A. Gazmararian, and J. Huang, “Health literacy and mortality among elderly persons,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 14, pp. 1503–1509, 2007.
- S. Bostock and A. Steptoe, “Association between low functional health literacy and mortality in older adults: longitudinal cohort study,” BMJ, vol. 344, no. 7852, Article ID e1602, 2012.
- R. L. Sudore, K. Yaffe, S. Satterfield et al., “Limited literacy and mortality in the elderly: the health, aging, and body composition study,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 806–812, 2006.
- J. A. Gazmararian, D. W. Baker, M. V. Williams et al., “Health literacy among medicare enrollees in a managed care organization,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 6, pp. 545–551, 1999.
- T. L. Scott, J. A. Gazmararian, M. V. Williams, and D. W. Baker, “Health literacy and preventive health care use among medicare enrollees in a managed care organization,” Medical Care, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 395–404, 2002.
- D. W. Baker, J. A. Gazmararian, J. Sudano, and M. Patterson, “The association between age and health literacy among elderly persons,” The Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 55, supplement 6, pp. S368–S374, 2000.
- S. Kumagai, S. Watanabe, H. Shibata et al., “Effects of dietary variety on declines in high-level functional capacity in elderly people living in a community,” Nippon Koshu Eisei Zasshi, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1117–1124, 2003.
- J. Kwon, T. Suzuki, S. Kumagai, S. Shinkai, and H. Yukawa, “Risk factors for dietary variety decline among Japanese elderly in a rural community: a 8-year follow-up study from TMIG-LISA,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 305–311, 2006.
- H. Ishikawa, T. Takeuchi, and E. Yano, “Measuring functional, communicative, and critical health literacy among diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 874–879, 2008.
- J. S. Bennett, P. A. Boyle, B. D. James, and D. A. Bennett, “Correlates of health and financial literacy in older adults without dementia,” BMC Geriatrics, vol. 12, p. 30, 2012.
- C. von Wagner, K. Knight, A. Steptoe, and J. Wardle, “Functional health literacy and health-promoting behaviour in a national sample of British adults,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1086–1090, 2007.
- W. J. Brown, D. McLaughlin, J. Leung, et al., “Physical activity and all-cause mortality in older women and men,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 664–668, 2012.
- S. A. McNaughton, C. J. Bates, and G. D. Mishra, “Diet quality is associated with all-cause mortality in adults aged 65 years and older,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 320–325, 2012.
- K. T. B. Knoops, L. C. de Groot, D. Kromhout et al., “Mediterranean diet, lifestyle factors, and 10-year mortality in elderly European men and women: the HALE project,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 12, pp. 1433–1439, 2004.
- E. J. Nicklett, R. D. Semba, Q. L. Xue, et al., “Fruit and vegetable intake, physical activity, and mortality in older community-dwelling women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 862–868, 2012.