- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 279425, 5 pages
Atopic Dermatitis and the Atopic March: What Is New?
1Division of Dermatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Nephrology, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 1, 40138 Bologna, Italy
2Department of Pediatrics, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Received 8 April 2011; Accepted 14 June 2011
Academic Editor: Fabienne Rancé
Copyright © 2011 Annalisa Patrizi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Ricci, A. Patrizi, A. Giannetti, A. Dondi, B. Bendandi, and M. Masi, “Does improvement management of atopic dermatitis influence the appearance of respiratory allergic diseases? A follow-up study,” Clinical and Molecular Allergy, vol. 8, article no. 8, 2010.
- J. M. Spergel and A. S. Paller, “Atopic dermatitis and the atopic march,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. S118–S127, 2003.
- J. M. Spergel, “From atopic dermatitis to asthma: the atopic march,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2010.
- E. Besnier, “Premiere note et observations preliminaires pour servir d'introduction a l'etude diathesques,” Annales de Dermatologie et de Syphiligraphie, vol. 4, p. 634, 1892.
- J. M. Hanifin and G. Rajka, “Diagnostic features of Atopic Dermatitis,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 92, supplement, pp. 44–47, 1980.
- S. G. O. Johansson, T. Bieber, R. Dahl et al., “Revised nomenclature for allergy for global use: report of the Nomenclature Review Committee of the World Allergy Organization, October 2003,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 832–836, 2004.
- A. Sandilands, C. Sutherland, A. D. Irvine, and W. H. I. McLean, “Filaggrin in the frontline: role in skin barrier function and disease,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 122, no. 9, pp. 1285–1294, 2009.
- F. J. D. Smith, A. D. Irvine, A. Terron-Kwiatkowski et al., “Loss-of-function mutations in the gene encoding filaggrin cause ichthyosis vulgaris,” Nature Genetics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 337–342, 2006.
- H. Baurecht, A. D. Irvine, N. Novak et al., “Toward a major risk factor for atopic eczema: meta-analysis of filaggrin polymorphism data,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1406–1412, 2007.
- S. Weidinger, M. O'Sullivan, T. Illig et al., “Filaggrin mutations, atopic eczema, hay fever, and asthma in children,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 1203–1209.e1, 2008.
- C. N. A. Palmer, A. D. Irvine, A. Terron-Kwiatkowski et al., “Common loss-of-function variants of the epidermal barrier protein filaggrin are a major predisposing factor for atopic dermatitis,” Nature Genetics, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 441–446, 2006.
- J. Henderson, K. Northstone, S. P. Lee et al., “The burden of disease associated with filaggrin mutations: a population-based, longitudinal birth cohort study,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 872–877.e9, 2008.
- C. N. A. Palmer, T. Ismail, S. P. Lee et al., “Filaggrin null mutations are associated with increased asthma severity in children and young adults,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 64–68, 2007.
- I. Marenholz, R. Nickel, F. Rüschendorf et al., “Filaggrin loss-of-function mutations predispose to phenotypes involved in the atopic march,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 866–871, 2006.
- J. Bousquet, N. Khaltaev, A. A. Cruz et al., “Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA(2)LEN and AllerGen),” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 86, pp. 8–160, 2008.
- J. D. Boot, P. Panzner, and Z. Diamant, “A critical appraisal of methods used in early clinical development of novel drugs for the treatment of asthma,” Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 201–219, 2007.
- A. H. Liu, F. D. Martinez, and L. M. Taussig, “Natural history of allergic diseases and asthma,” in Pediatric Allergy: Principles and Practice, D. Y. M. Leung, H. A. Sampson, R. S. Geha, and S. J. Szefler, Eds., pp. 10–22, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2003.
- M. Kulig, R. Bergmann, U. Klettke, V. Wahn, U. Tacke, and U. Wahn, “Natural course of sensitization to food and inhalant allergens during the first 6 years of life,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1173–1179, 1999.
- G. Ricci, A. Patrizi, E. Baldi, G. Menna, M. Tabanelli, and M. Masi, “Long-term follow-up of atopic dermatitis: retrospective analysis of related risk factors and association with concomitant allergic diseases,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 765–771, 2006.
- Y. Ohshima, A. Yamada, M. Hiraoka et al., “Early sensitization to house dust mite is a major risk factor for subsequent development of bronchial asthma in Japanese infants with atopic dermatitis: Results of a 4-year followup study,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 265–270, 2002.
- A. E. van der Hulst, H. Klip, and P. L. P. Brand, “Risk of developing asthma in young children with atopic eczema: a systematic review,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 565–569, 2007.
- J. M. Hanifin and W. C. Lobitz Jr., “Newer concepts of atopic dermatitis,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 663–670, 1977.
- H. Gu, X. S. Chen, K. Chen et al., “Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis: validity of the criteria of Williams et al. in a hospital-based setting,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 428–433, 2001.
- J. F. Stalder, A. Taieb, D. J. Atherton et al., “Severity scoring of atopic dermatitis: the SCORAD index. Consensus report of the European Task Force on Atopic Dermatitis,” Dermatology, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 1993.
- A. P. Oranje, E. J. Glazenburg, A. Wolkerstorfer, and F. B. De Waard-Van Der Spek, “Practical issues on interpretation of scoring atopic dermatitis: the SCORAD index, objective SCORAD and the three-item severity score,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 645–648, 2007.
- A. P. Oranje, “Practical issues on interpretation of scoring atopic dermatitis: SCORAD index, objective SCORAD, patient-oriented SCORAD and three-item severity score,” Current Problems in Dermatology, vol. 41, pp. 149–155, 2011.
- J.-F. Stalder, S. Barbarot, A. Wollenberg et al., “Patient oriented SCORAD (PO-SCORAD): a new self assesment scale in atopic dermatitis, validated in Europe,” Allergy, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 1114–1121, 2011.
- J. M. Hanifin, M. Thurston, M. Omoto, R. Cherill, S. J. Tofte, and M. Graeber, “The eczema area and severity index (EASI): assessment of reliability in atopic dermatitis,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2001.
- C. R. Charman, A. J. Venn, and H. C. Williams, “The patient-oriented eczema measure: development and initial validation of a new tool for measuring atopic eczema severity from the patients' perspective,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 140, no. 12, pp. 1513–1519, 2004.
- L. F. Eichenfield, A. W. Lucky, M. Boguniewicz et al., “Safety and efficacy of pimecrolimus (ASM 981) cream 1% in the treatment of mild and moderate atopic dermatitis in children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 495–504, 2002.
- H. Gollnick, R. Kaufmann, D. Stough et al., “Pimecrolimus cream 1% in the long-term management of adult atopic dermatitis: prevention of flare progression. A randomized controlled trial,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 1083–1093, 2008.
- J. Schmitt, S. Langan, and H. C. Williams, “What are the best outcome measurements for atopic eczema? A systematic review,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1389–1398, 2007.
- L. F. Eichenfield, J. M. Hanifin, T. A. Luger, S. R. Stevens, and H. B. Pride, “Consensus conference on pediatric atopic dermatitis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1088–1095, 2003.
- C. Ellis, T. Luger, D. Abeck et al., “International Consensus Conference on Atopic Dermatitis II (ICCAD II): clinical update and current treatment strategies,” The British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 148, supplement 63, pp. 3–10, 2003.
- J. M. Hanifin, K. D. Cooper, V. C. Ho et al., “Guidelines of care for atopic dermatitis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 391–404, 2004.
- C. A. Akdis, M. Akdis, T. Bieber et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of atopic dermatitis in children and adults: European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology/American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/PRACTALL consensus report,” Allergy, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 969–987, 2006.
- T. Bieber, M. Cork, C. Ellis et al., “Consensus statement on the safety profile of topical calcineurin inhibitors,” Dermatology, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 77–78, 2005.
- L. Fonacier, E. N. Charlesworth, J. M. Spergel, and D. Y. M. Leung, “The black box warning for topical calcineurin inhibitors: looking outside the box,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 117–120, 2006.
- J. M. Spergel and D. Y. M. Leung, “Safety of topical calcineurin inhibitors in atopic dermatitis: evaluation of the evidence,” Current Allergy and Asthma Reports, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 270–274, 2006.
- A. B. Fleischer Jr., “Black box warning for topical calcineurin inhibitors and the death of common sense,” Dermatology Online Journal, vol. 12, no. 6, article no. 2, 2006.
- G. Ricci, A. Dondi, and A. Patrizi, “Role of topical calcineurin inhibitors on atopic dermatitis of children,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 14, pp. 1579–1591, 2007.
- J. Schmitt, L. Von Kobyletzki, Å. Svensson, and C. Apfelbacher, “Efficacy and tolerability of proactive treatment with topical corticosteroids and calcineurin inhibitors for atopic eczema: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 415–428, 2011.
- R. S. Kirsner, M. P. Heffernan, and R. Antaya, “Safety and efficacy of tacrolimus ointment versus pimecrolimus cream in the treatment of patients with atopic dermatitis previously treated with corticosteroids,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2010.
- G. Ricci, B. Bendandi, F. Bellini, A. Patrizi, and M. Masi, “Atopic dermatitis: quality of life of young Italian children and their families and correlation with severity score,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 245–249, 2007.
- V. Lawson, M. S. Lewis-Jones, A. Y. Finlay, P. Reid, and R. G. Owens, “The family impact of childhood atopic dermatitis: the Dermatitis Family Impact questionnaire,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 107–113, 1998.
- U. Pauli-Pott, A. Darui, and D. Beckmann, “Infants with atopic dermatitis: maternal hopelessness, child-rearing attitudes and perceived infant temperament,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 1999.
- S. Illi, E. Von Mutius, S. Lau et al., “The natural course of atopic dermatitis from birth to age 7 years and the association with asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 925–931, 2004.