- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 179658, 4 pages
Eosinophilic Esophagitis in Pediatrics: The Worst of all Possible Allergy Worlds?
Department of Pediatrics, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Received 10 April 2011; Revised 2 June 2011; Accepted 11 July 2011
Academic Editor: John Bastian
Copyright © 2012 Russell J. Hopp. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Dobbins, D. G. Sheahan, and J. Behar, “Eosinophilic gastroenteritis with esophageal involvement,” Gastroenterology, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1312–1316, 1977.
- C. Blanchard, E. M. Stucke, B. Rodriguez-Jimenez et al., “A striking local esophageal cytokine expression profile in eosinophilic esophagitis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 208–e7, 2011.
- C. A. Liacouras, G. T. Furuta, I. Hirano et al., “Eosinophilic esophagitis: updated consensus recommendations for children and adults,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2011.
- J. M. Spergel, T. Andrews, T. F. Brown-Whitehorn, J. L. Beausoleil, and C. A. Liacouras, “Treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis with specific food elimination diet directed by a combination of skin prick and patch tests,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 336–343, 2005.
- J. E. Markowitz, J. M. Spergel, E. Ruchelli, and C. A. Liacouras, “Elemental diet is an effective treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis in children and adolescents,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 777–782, 2003.
- J. M. Spergel, T. F. Brown-Whitehorn, J. L. Beausoleil et al., “14 years of eosinophilic esophagitis: Clinical features and prognosis,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 2009.
- N. Morar, W. O. C. M. Cookson, J. I. Harper, and M. F. Moffatt, “Filaggrin mutations in children with severe atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 7, pp. 1667–1672, 2007.
- C. Blanchard, E. M. Stucke, K. Burwinkel et al., “Coordinate interaction between IL-13 and epithelial differentiation cluster genes in eosinophilic esophagitis,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 184, no. 7, pp. 4033–4041, 2010.
- E. Isolauri and K. Turjanmaa, “Combined skin prick and patch testing enhances identification of food allergy in infants with atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 97, no. 1 I, pp. 9–15, 1996.
- J. M. Spergel, T. Brown-Whitehorn, J. L. Beausoleil, M. Shuker, and C. A. Liacouras, “Predictive values for skin prick test and atopy patch test for eosinophilic esophagitis,” Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 509–511, 2007.
- J. P. Li-Kim-Moy, V. Tobias, A. S. Day, S. Leach, and D. A. Lemberg, “Esophageal subepithelial fibrosis and hyalinization are features of eosinophilic esophagitis,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 2011.
- S. S. Aceves, D. Chen, R. O. Newbury, R. Dohil, J. F. Bastian, and D. H. Broide, “Mast cells infiltrate the esophageal smooth muscle in patients with eosinophilic esophagitis, express TGF-β1, and increase esophageal smooth muscle contraction,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1198–1204, 2010.
- E. R. McFadden Jr., “A century of asthma,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 215–221, 2004.
- A. Straumann, S. Conus, L. Degen et al., “Budesonide is effective in adolescent and adult patients with active eosinophilic esophagitis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 1526–1537, 2010.
- M. R. Konikoff, R. J. Noel, C. Blanchard et al., “A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of fluticasone propionate for pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 1381–1391, 2006.