- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 258145, 9 pages
IgE-Mediated Anaphylaxis to Foods, Venom, and Drugs: Influence of Serum Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Levels and Genotype
1Department of Medicine, St Helier Hospital, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 1AA, UK
2Department of Immunology, St Helier Hospital, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 1AA, UK
Received 6 August 2012; Revised 21 October 2012; Accepted 22 October 2012
Academic Editor: K. Blaser
Copyright © 2012 V. A. Varney et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. I. Terr, “Anaphylaxis,” Clinical Reviews in Allergy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3–23, 1985.
- A. Sheikh and B. Alves, “Age, sex, geographical and socio-economic variations in admissions for anaphylaxis: analysis of four years of English hospital data,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1571–1576, 2001.
- J. K. Lee and P. Vadas, “Anaphylaxis: mechanisms and management,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 923–938, 2011.
- D. Del Duca, S. S. Sheth, A. E. Clarke, K. J. Lachapelle, and P. L. Ergina, “Use of methylene blue for catecholamine-refractory vasoplegia from protamine and aprotinin,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 640–642, 2009.
- N. Kajiwara, T. Sasaki, P. Bradding et al., “Activation of human mast cells through the platelet-activating factor receptor,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1137–e6, 2010.
- F. D. Finkelman, M. E. Rothenberg, E. B. Brandt, S. C. Morris, and R. T. Strait, “Molecular mechanisms of anaphylaxis: lessons from studies with murine models,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 449–457, 2005.
- N. Hamano, “Effect of sex hormones on eosinophilic inflammation in nasal mucosa,” Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 263–269, 1998.
- C. Dimitropoulou, A. Chatterjee, L. McCloud, G. Yetik-Anacak, and J. D. Catravas, “Angiotensin, bradykinin and the endothelium.,” Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, no. 176, pp. 255–294, 2006.
- K. Kario, “Hypertension and its clinical implications for morning renin-angiotensin control,” Renin Angiotensin System and Cardiovascular Disease, vol. 1, pp. 6–11, 2005.
- K. Persson, A. C. E. Säfholm, R. G. G. Andersson, and J. Ahlner, “Glyceryl trinitrate-induced angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibition in healthy volunteers is dependent on ACE genotype,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 1117–1122, 2005.
- A. Reyes-Engel, L. Morcillo, F. J. Aranda et al., “Influence of gender and genetic variability on plasma angiotensin peptides,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 92–97, 2006.
- A. H. J. Danser, J. Deinum, A. P. R. M. Osterop, P. J. J. Admiraal, and M. A. D. H. Schalekamp, “Angiotensin I to angiotensin II conversion in the human forearm and leg. Effect of the angiotensin converting enzyme gene insertion/deletion polymorphism,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1867–1872, 1999.
- G. S. Stokes, J. C. Monaghan, A. P. Schrader, C. L. Glenn, M. Ryan, and B. J. Morris, “Influence of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) genotype on interpretation of diagnostic tests for serum ACE activity,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 315–318, 1999.
- G. Arcaro, A. Solini, T. Monauni et al., “ACE genotype and endothelium-dependent vasodilation of conduit arteries and forearm microcirculation in humans,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1313–1319, 2001.
- M. A. Van Dijk, I. Kroon, A. M. Kamper, F. Boomsma, A. H. Danser, and P. C. Chang, “The angiotensin-converting enzyme gene polymorphism and responses to angiotensins and bradykinin in the human forearm,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 484–490, 2000.
- J. V. Mombouli and P. M. Vanhoutte, “Heterogeneity of endothelium-dependent vasodilator effects of angiotensin- converting enzyme inhibitors: role of bradykinin generation during ACE inhibition,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. S74–S82, 1992.
- A. Sato, H. Miura, Y. Liu et al., “Effect of gender on endothelium-dependent dilation to bradykinin in human adipose microvessels,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 3, pp. H845–H852, 2002.
- D. Woods, J. Sanders, A. Jones et al., “The serum angiotensin-converting enzyme and angiotensin II response to altered posture and acute exercise, and the influence of ACE genotype,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 91, no. 2-3, pp. 342–348, 2004.
- R. Y. L. Zee, A. P. Schrader, and B. J. Morris, “Effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype on renin-angiotensin components in hypertensives,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 252, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 1996.
- K. E. Bernstein, H. D. Xiao, K. Frenzel et al., “Six truisms concerning ACE and the renin-angiotensin system educed from the genetic analysis of mice,” Circulation Research, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 1135–1144, 2005.
- P. M. Jiménez, C. Conde, A. Casanegra, C. Romero, A. H. Tabares, and M. Orías, “Association of ACE genotype and predominantly diastolic hypertension: a preliminary study,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 42–44, 2007.
- T. Hoover, M. Lippmann, E. Grouzmann, F. Marceau, and P. Herscu, “Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor induced angio-oedema: a review of the pathophysiology and risk factors,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 50–61, 2010.
- A. D. Hingorani, H. Jia, P. A. Stevens, R. Hopper, J. E. C. Dickerson, and M. J. Brown, “Renin-angiotensin system gene polymorphisms influence blood pressure and the response to angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1602–1609, 1995.
- L. M. Resnick, F. B. Muller, and J. H. Laragh, “Calcium-regulating hormones in essential hypertension: relation to plasma renin activity and sodium metabolism,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 649–654, 1986.
- K. Hermann and J. Ring, “The renin angiotensin system and hymenoptera venom anaphylaxis,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 762–769, 1993.
- K. Hermann and J. Ring, “Hymenoptera venom anaphylaxis: may decreased levels of angiotensin peptides play a role?” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 569–570, 1990.
- C. W. Summers, R. S. Pumphrey, C. N. Woods, G. McDowell, P. W. Pemberton, and P. D. Arkwright, “Factors predicting anaphylaxis to peanuts and tree nuts in patients referred to a specialist center,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 632–e2, 2008.
- J. L. Stumpf, N. Shehab, and A. C. Patel, “Safety of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors in patients with insect venom allergies,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 699–703, 2006.
- R. J. Mullins, S. Clark, and C. A. Camargo Jr, “Regional variation in epinephrine autoinjector prescriptions in Australia: more evidence for the vitamin D-anaphylaxis hypothesis,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 488–495, 2009.
- W. Yuan, W. Pan, J. Kong et al., “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 suppresses renin gene transcription by blocking the activity of the cyclic AMP response element in the renin gene promoter,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 41, pp. 29821–29830, 2007.
- R. Butler, A. D. Morris, B. Burchell, and A. D. Struthers, “DD angiotensin-converting enzyme gene polymorphism is associated with endothelial dysfunction in normal humans,” Hypertension, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1164–1168, 1999.
- B. Rigat, C. Hubert, F. Alhenc-Gelas, F. Cambien, P. Corvol, and F. Soubrier, “An insertion/deletion polymorphism in the angiotensin I-converting enzyme gene accounting for half the variance of serum enzyme levels,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1343–1346, 1990.
- B. Rigat, C. Hubert, P. Corvol, and F. Soubrier, “PCR detection of the insertion/deletion polymorphism of the human angiotensin converting enzyme gene (DCP1) (dipeptidyl carboxypeptidase 1),” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 20, no. 6, p. 1433, 1992.
- H. Tomita, Y. Ina, Y. Sugiura et al., “Polymorphism in the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) gene and sarcoidosis,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 255–259, 1997.
- H. J. Roth, “Measurement of vitamin D levels,” Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 153–159, 2008.
- M. L. K. Tang, N. Osborne, and K. Allen, “Epidemiology of anaphylaxis,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 351–356, 2009.
- A. Bugajska-Schretter, H. Rumpold, S. Spitzauer et al., “Purification, biochemical, and immunological characterisation of a major food allergen: different immunoglobulin E recognition of the apo- and calcium-bound forms of carp parvalbumin,” Gut, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 661–669, 2000.
- M. Niedoszytko, M. Ratajska, M. Chełmińska et al., “The angiotensinogen AGT p.M235T gene polymorphism may be responsible for the development of severe anaphylactic reactions to insect venom allergens,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 166–172, 2010.
- P. E. Gallagher, P. Li, J. R. Lenhart, M. C. Chappell, and K. B. Brosnihan, “Estrogen regulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme mRNA,” Hypertension, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 323–328, 1999.
- H. Sumino, S. Ichikawa, T. Kanda et al., “Hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women with essential hypertension increases circulating plasma levels of bradykinin,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1044–1047, 1999.
- H. Vliagoftis, V. Dimitriadou, W. Boucher et al., “Estradiol augments while tamoxifen inhibits rat mast cell secretion,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 398–409, 1992.
- M. Tsuda, M. Iwai, J. M. Li et al., “Inhibitory effects of AT1 receptor blocker, olmesartan, and estrogen on atherosclerosis via anti-oxidative stress,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 545–551, 2005.
- Y. Fukuda, H. Kawashima, K. Saito, N. Inomata, M. Matsui, and T. Nakanishi, “Effect of human plasma-type platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase in two anaphylactic shock models,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 390, no. 1-2, pp. 203–207, 2000.
- A. Arimura and M. Harada, “Differential effect of a PAF antagonist CV-3988 on active and passive anaphylactic shock in various mouse strains,” Lipids, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1386–1390, 1991.
- P. Vadas, M. Gold, B. Perelman et al., “Platelet-Activating Factor, PAF acetylhydrolase, and severe anaphylaxis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 1, pp. 28–35, 2008.
- D. J. Campbell, T. Alexiou, H. D. Xiao et al., “Effect of reduced angiotensin-converting enzyme gene expression and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition on angiotensin and bradykinin peptide levels in mice,” Hypertension, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 854–859, 2004.
- M. Pretorius, J. M. Luther, L. J. Murphey, D. E. Vaughan, and N. J. Brown, “Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition increases basal vascular tissue plasminogen activator release in women but not in men,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2435–2440, 2005.
- T. Ortega, M. Paul, A. Ackermann, M. S. Fernández-Alfonso, R. S. De Rojas, and C. González, “Modulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme by nitric oxide,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 291–298, 1998.
- D. G. Waller, “The circulating renin-angiotensin system and the response to hypotension,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 718–721, 1993.
- C. A. Camargo, S. Clark, M. S. Kaplan, P. Lieberman, and R. A. Wood, “Regional differences in EpiPen prescriptions in the United States: the potential role of vitamin D,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 131–136, 2007.
- C. D. Sigmund, “Regulation of renin expression and blood pressure by vitamin D3,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 155–156, 2002.
- G. Qiao, J. Kong, M. Uskokovic, and C. L. Yan, “Analogs of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 as novel inhibitors of renin biosynthesis,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2005.
- T. J. Wang, M. J. Pencina, S. L. Booth et al., “Vitamin D deficiency and risk of cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2008.
- R. Butler, “The DD-ACE genotype and cardiovascular disease,” Pharmacogenomics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 153–167, 2000.